1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forbes Magazine: Obama best economic president of modern times

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Sep 8, 2014.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IlBP_ni7ggY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Obama policies specifically called out for the historic best ever job creation performance in US history.

The two best recent presidents for the US economy and for deficit reduction has been Obama and Clinton. The worst recent presidents for the US economy and deficit ballooning ... well you all know. That Right "pro-growth" policies don't seem to be doing much, in fact, just the exact opposite of growth while increasing the deficits.

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Additionally...

4. adoo

adoo Member

Fed's monetary policies could not cancel out the incompetent W, whose had destroyed the US economy.

W tried to bail out the banking / finance industry, but failed at it. Obama's first accomplishment was to execute the bailout successfully.

what a difference a competent president makes.

W's incompetence drove the US economy to bankruptcy;

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

And there's the code red.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Since it is Forbes, the title should be changed "Obama increases the wealth of the .1% and major stock holders even more than Reagan." That is the economy for Steve and his magazine.

Steve was always a bit of a maverick. He is supposed to toe the Grand Old
    Tea Party line and claim that big gubmint under Obama is leading us total economic ruin and to a Soviet style totalitarianism.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The big question is what Tangible gains have the average American seeing

Rocket River

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Scoreboard Mr. Right Winger

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I love The Onion. Post another one!

10. Classic

Classic Member

This is the scoreboard people should be concerned about.

Here it is, posted yesterday:

Of course Forbes would rate him as such. Anyone reading Forbes would only care about their 401k. Meanwhile, remind me again how many people are on the food stamp scoreboard?

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So now Obama only is helping the rich. Why do the republicans hate him so much?

12. bongman

bongman Member

Obviously, I can only speak from my small bubble but during the crash, approximately 50% of the folks I know, lost their jobs and had a difficult time landing one. At the moment, I don't know of anybody who (somebody actively looking) that can't get one. Some of them even have 2 jobs.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not really seeing a net UP or Down
    just kind of steady in my circles
    Everyone has jobs .. or have changed jobs . .. but they still working

the question I look at them is . . .are they better jobs
    right now. . i am not 100% either way

Rocket River

14. Classic

Classic Member

Exclusively?

I don't think so.

But the top earners have benefited disproportionately from the recovery. That's just a fact. One to be considered given the source of the opinion in OP: Forbes.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if Obama's policies deserve that much credit. He deserves credit for pushing through spending early in the recession - but any democrat would have done that. The deficit really is more of a republican congress limiting his purse strings - so you have to give them some credit on that front.

Then again, I don't give Clinton or any other president all that much on the economy. I do think Bush damaged our economy with Iraq though.

Obama has been a decent president. Not great, not bad, just decent.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He does deserve much credit. The talk about President don't affect economy is weird to me... President can seriously alter economy with things such as a Trillion dollar spending package, massive Trillion dollar of tax cut, massive wars for decade, and so on.

No. Republican congress want nothing more than simply tax cut. Well, other than temporary cuts for workers, you have some minimum raises. And what, the economy bounced back and deficit is reduced. Republican with their only idea of cut tax deserve min credit (they deserve some shared credit as a whole of government, but their intent and idea deserve zip).

Obama, given the roadblock on everything he does, is more than a decent president. A decent president isn't a president that has historic economic performance. That usually equate to a great president. I'm not saying he's great - far from it, but he definitely deserve what he has accomplished. I think history will be good on this president when it's all and done... we'll see.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I pointed out that Bush was an exception. Basically a president can screw things up, but they really can't do a whole lot to change things for the better. Congress is usually the one who does that.

Not this congress though. So Obama is great for basically not screwing things up.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And he's great for taking credit for things that go well and blaming any and all things that go wrong on others no matter what the circumstances are and no matter what his role in it was.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think they certainly can. But I agree it's much easier to fk things up than to fix the fk up things.

This Congress is also an exception. Have we ever had a Congress so invested against the other side that obstruction is the primary game plan?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When a president is unwilling to work with congress, congress rarely works with the president. We haven't had a relationship between the president and congress as contentious as we do right now in a LONG time. This president was so unwilling to compromise that he could barely get anything done when his party owned the House and Senate because he couldn't get them to go along with what he wanted....is it any shock that things would get completely gridlocked once he had to deal with a different ideology in control of one of the houses? Stubborn, inflexible adherence to ideology is a very poor trait for a leader and that's what we've been stuck with for almost 6 years now.....and it wasn't much better the 8 years before that.

The country has had terrible leadership for almost 14 years now, say what you want about Clinton, but the man was one hell of a politician who knew how to compromise for the sake of the country when it really mattered.