1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Forbes] Jeremy Lin May Be The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Big MAK, Jul 18, 2012.

1. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

hahaha yes sir

2. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

3. ILoveTheRockets

The writer of the article is the one that is dumb.

Yeah, Lin entertaining an offer from a team whose state was just voted best for business in America, along with the Asian population that will embrace him like they did Yao, is very very dumb on Mr. Lin's part.

So dumb, that Lin's bank account will be boosted well over 100million when it's all said and done. Yep, dumbest Harvard grad ever. **rolls eyes**

4. Major

Major Member

The premise of the article is correct.

Lin wanted to make more money, but he also wanted to be in New York. So renegotiating the poison pill to be that much more poisonous was counterproductive to his own interests, because he made it exceeding difficult for NY to match.

As a result, he ended up with a team he preferred not to be with.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...says-interview-preferred-stay-new-york-knicks

If he had it his way, Jeremy Lin says he'd still be with the New York Knicks.

But Lin woke up Wednesday morning as a member of the Houston Rockets after the Knicks declined to match Houston's three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet.

"Honestly, I preferred New York," Lin told Sports Illustrated. "But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved."

This was his fundamental mistake - arrogance. He thought the Knicks would cave:

Lin told Sports Illustrated that he'd never considered the idea that the Knicks wouldn't match his offer until the team traded for point guard Raymond Felton last Saturday, confirming what a source told ESPNNewYork.com on Tuesday.

All he was doing was using the Rockets to get more money out of the Knicks, and they called his bluff.

5. dookiester

dookiester Member

eh, more like the rockets called the knicks' bluff. you make it sound like lin 'lost' here because he ended up in houston instead of new york. sure he would've liked to stay in NY, just like dragic would've liked to stay in houston - but money talks, and NY went on record saying they'd match $1 billion. not sure how agreeing to a contract about $974 million less than that could be construed in any way, shape or form as a mistake or indication of arrogance.

and you forget that lin didn't propose increasing the poison pill, we did. what do you want him to do, turn it down and say 'sorry daryl, that's too hard for NY to match so i'm going to sit here and wait for someone to give me a less ridiculous contract'? get real.

the only loser here is NY (and butthurt fans who are mad lin got paid).

6. Major

Major Member

As the article said, Houston did what it should have done and what made sense to do if they wanted the best chance to acquire Lin. There's no real question about that.

That's exactly the case - in the sense that he preferred NY. Now, whether he preferred NY to an extra $5 million, we're not really sure. But given that he was surprised that NY didn't match, he clearly added the 2nd poison pill in an effort to get more money out of NY - not because he wanted to end up on the Rockets.

So in that sense, he did not get the end result he wanted. He might still be happy with it - but he makes it clear this was not his ideal preferred scenario.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

Can we all twitter this to this jackass?

8. dookiester

dookiester Member

also there seems to be a fundamental inability to comprehend the bargaining power of the parties involved here (both in the Forbes article and any other person claiming Lin 'messed up' here). the idea that lin could have countered or held out when morey bumped the 3rd year poison pill is ludicrous, because the rockets are TRYING to get lin and morey KNOWS that the 4-year structure is much more likely to get match by NY. the rockets aren't here to facilitate NY's negotiations with lin - we wanted lin and the only way we had a chance (and it was still a slim chance) of getting lin was by insisting on a heavily backloaded deal. this is not lin's doing, so you can't get mad at him, and the rockets have every right to present the most aggressive deal, so you can't get mad at them.

the knicks can only blame themselves for not giving lin a market offer instead of sending him out to test the market, and then for not matching in spite of their extravagant claim that they'd match anything. shame on dolan - lin wouldn't even be the 4th worst contract on that team.

9. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

10. dookiester

dookiester Member

again, lin didn't increase the poison pill on the 3rd year. we did - and lin was in no position to try and negotiate or counter because morey knows anything less just decreases our chances of getting him. but i agree, he didn't get his preferred destination, but i'm sure he's happy with the outcome (destination + contract) taken as a whole.

11. Major

Major Member

As you said, the Rockets dictated this process, and they did exactly what they should have done - no questions or arguments there. But Lin didn't have to accept it - he could simply have said he had an offer that he was happy with. The Rockets would have a PR problem on their hands if they renegged on an offer sheet they had said they agreed to. That seems like an ethical no-no and it would cause some problems with agents and players in the future. Both sides here had leverage.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I looked at that. There were not any in the top 25, but the top 25 were some great athletes. NY guys were in the 26-35 range. Eli manning was above Brady. Amare Stoudamire was very high on list. NY guys were definitely higher than skill level.

14. dookiester

dookiester Member

I guess Lin could have done that, but I wouldn't consider it much leverage. I just think it's preposterous to expect Lin to do the Knicks' job for them and negotiate to get a deal that is less lucrative for himself than what's on the table - has anyone ever asked a professional sports player to do that before, and been genuinely surprised that they didn't? If you really expected or hoped Lin would make that sacrifice just because he would've preferred to be in NY, then okay, I guess he messed up. To me, his behavior was perfectly rational and devoid of any malicious intent.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Rockets offering a player a better contract would not cause them PR problems in the future. No player or agent would avoid verbally agreeing on a deal with the Rockets out of fear that they would just up and decide to offer the player something better. Lin making it clear that he was only using the Rockets to get more money with no desire to stay would have been much worse PR for him and it would have been hard for him to get another team to sign him to an offer sheet knowing that. Even if you believe it would cost the Rockets signings it would only be for players that were using them just to get matched and the Rockets lose nothing in that scenario.

16. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Lin suggested that he preferred that NY match the final contract. He didn't say he preferred the cheaper contract in NY to the bigger $ contract in Houston.

The Knicks were trying to lowball Lin and also use the Rockets. But they didn't understand that the new CBA and poison pill rule have impacted RFA negotiations. Morey did. So the Knicks lost, again.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I doubt Lin's preference for NY is that strong, not strong enough to leave a better contract on the table to avoid the risk of NYK not matching. No doubt he had a great time playing for the MSG crowd, but it isn't all roses for him to be a Knicks, especially with Woodson running a Melo centered game.

18. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

just another new yorker venting out his frustrations for the knicks losing Lin.

Typical Journalistic sensationalism.

George W Bush is by far the dumbest Harvard grad to date.

19. dookiester

dookiester Member

i wasn't that excited about the rockets season until the rookies started showing up in summer league and now we've got NY media taking pot shots at the rockets because they lost lin. i'm looking forward to our matchups with the knicks now and hope the rockets use all this as locker room material, not that nba players should need extra motivation to play well.

back to the topic at hand, i will say that despite the asinine and condescending tone of the article, this premise is true (as Major stated):

but the conclusion (that Lin is stupid for accepting the renegotiated poison pill that prohibited the knicks from resigning him) is just misguided unless you assume (wrongly) that jeremy lin would happily take significantly less guaranteed money in order to play in NY (no indication whatsoever that this is true) and thus, he shot himself in the foot by accepting a deal with a $15m 3rd year. this assumption, of course, defies logic and common sense, because rest assured jeremy lin is not kicking himself for failing to turn down the money so he could stay in NY.

20. dragonz

dragonz Member

this r****ded article based wholly the assumption New York is a better place to play than Houston.

there are more things to consider if Linsanity wants to be continuously successful in NBA:

1. playing style: Lin is a pick & roll PG, the style made him so successful last season is gone with Mike D'Antonie;
    2. Teammates: NYK still have Melo, and he obviously cannot coexsit with Linsanity, Lin needs teammates who can play team ball, and Houston is always have a team chemistry;
    3. When you aiming for Chinese market, it doesn't really matter where you play, will Yao be more famous if he was playing in NY instead of Houston, I don't think it makes that much of difference.