1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Young Houstonians = Please watch your diet and hit the damn gym

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Reported :p

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

San Antonio has to be the fattest.

The women there.....its ashame what happens to a Hispanic body past college.

2 people like this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

this.

it's not just about exercise...couple of hundred burned through physical activity is not going to outburn the 3000+ cals of junk people at eating.

average requirement is probably 1800-2000. look at a couple of days of your eating and see how much people are over by. even if it's 200 over...after 1-2 years it catches up with you. 3500 cals = 1 lb of stored energy (fat).

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah, giving up a cookie every other day isn't going to cut it

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Workout 5 times a week fam, f*** these fat peoples.
    Been fat my whole life, gotta work for it.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="ImHFvWu" data-context="false"><a href="//imgur.com/ImHFvWu">Related gifs&lt;a rel=&quot;noreferrer nofollow&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot; href=&quot;http://i.imgur.com/FrxhVmn.gifv&quot;&gt;http://i.imgur.com/FrxhVmn.gifv&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a rel=&quot;noreferrer nofollow&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot; href=&quot;http://i.imgur.com/SungVxu.gifv&quot;&gt;http://i.imgur.com/SungVxu.gifv&lt;/a&gt;</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Houston just above Mexico? You know that leaves out the entire RGV and Coastal Bend.

8. donkeypunch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I live in an area of low obesity in the population

This kinda subject is snobbery 90% of the time and little to do with caring about other people's well being. Being around the slim fit elite has not made me a better person and they have not "inspired" me either in any meaningful way

That said, yes overeating with little sense of control with a culture that values recreational food eating, its not a good thing. Its irresponsible at its worst, mostly its unfortunate

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really? :rolleyes:

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Flaw in the title. Working out does not make you skinnier. It makes your heart stronger, less likely to have coronary artery disease, and it will increase lean muscle mass but it certainly won't make up for a lifetime of poor eating habits. Think about it this way: in human history, from about the time of the Industrial Revolution to the mid-1950's, most people did no exercise. That didn't mean they got fat, however.

Once you hit 30yrs old, maybe even 25 depending on your genetics, 90% of your body habitus is nutritional. Rich people and poor were not fat sixty years ago because there were relatively few processed carbs, certainly not enough to go around for the masses. And there was no such thing as fast food which pretty much tries to inject high fructose corn syrup into everything possible.

Nowadays the rich people have a bunch of superstitions regarding their diet, half of which are probably grounded in truth. The whole foods, free range, omega 3, anti-gluten, farm to table, Atkins/paleo, and vegan/forks-over-knives/T. Colin Campbell movements might be founded on a framework of fallacies, but the net result still has had a protective effect for the rich. It's funny, in the old days it used to be the rich that were fatter. Now it's the poor. One day we will look at health as a defining characteristic for the rich just as much as money is. Amazing how well they've been able to convince the masses to want and to do things that are harmful to themselves.

12. SeabrookMiglla

nailed it.

people with less money are more likely to eat food with cheaper ingredients. the whole organic food movement, while having good intentions, is steeped in elitist food/health culture. a lot of working class people dont have as much time to dedicate themselves to a consistent work out regiment or afford sporty hobbies etc.

everything in this country is turned into an industry, health and fitness is no exception.

there are of course exceptions from individual to individual as getting into shape is ultimately motivation etc. but i think there is a definite trend when it comes to health/well being and class.

in terms of houston being an over weight city, i think the thing is that

1. the lay out of the city is spread out making driving a necessity. your average houstonian doesnt really walk around that much nor use mass transit.

2. weather, during the summer you're typically confined indoors from 10 am- 5 pm

3. we've got a whole lot of different good food, and a ton of restaurants to choose from.

i travel somewhat frequently to cities that are more urban where you have to walk around to get places etc. i always lose weight and keep it off much easier than being in houston. unless im dieting and working out, i usually gain a least a few more pounds than usual. this is actually one of the few complaints about living in houston, not being able to walk anywhere.

jmho

13. donkeypunch

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Why eat healthy and spend money at Whole Foods when I can get 5 pastor tacos with chips/salsa for under $5.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Whole Foods this, Whole Foods that...why go there besides the eye candy? I can hit up HEB or Kroger, go straight to the Organic section and I find every single thing that I need. I also probably pay half of what it would cost at Whole Tats for pretty much the exact same things.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Whole foods is not the grocery for eye candy.The eye candy spot is on shepherd . Way less dudes with dreads as a bonus.

I agree that marketing is a big problem. Look how many people are mentioning expensive food and exercise for weight loss. You can lose just as much weight if you eat less of the garbage you are currently eating.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

yup.

the current losing weight idea = kill yourself at the gym (see: any weight loss tv program...participants are pushed to the limits), eat salads or buy organic from expensive stores

really all u need to do is move a little more throughout the day...take a few flights of stairs instead of elevators...park a little further...try to get off your butt at work a few times...standing meetings etc.

and for food..cut out the calorie dense, nutritionaly poor foods.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Central Market > everything else.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Krogers? Trader Joes? The Kroger on Shepherd has nothing on the Studemont location. Ass and t*tties, ass and t*tties...everywhere.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

TJ's is what I was talking about. Girls are infatuated with that place.