1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

for those wanting to compare our unis with Raptors new unis (description inside)...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Gummi Clutch, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030909/UBKTON/TPSports/Other

The maple leaf and the colour red, dropped from the logo design of the Toronto Blue Jays, are about to find a new home on the uniforms of the Toronto Raptors.

The National Basketball Association team will unveil a second road uniform for the coming season that will incorporate the colours red, white and black, along with a maple leaf displayed prominently on the team's shorts.

"This is not at all, in any way, a reaction to what the Blue Jays have done," Raptors president Richard Peddie said yesterday. "These sorts of design changes have to be submitted to the league for its approval like a year in advance.

"We're not slamming the Blue Jays. We're just going in a different direction."

Last week, the Blue Jays took heat after they unveiled a new logo that was missing two of the key elements that many felt defined the baseball team as Canadian -- the colour red and the maple leaf.

The club's new logo, in full use next year, features a stern-looking bird with the word "Jays" in what the team describes as "blue, metallic silvers and metallic graphite with black-and-white accents."

The Raptors are a couple of weeks away from launching the new uniforms, but Mr. Peddie yesterday revealed the news about the colours and the maple leaf.

The team's name will run across the front of the jersey in place of the city's name that is on the current road uniforms, which are purple and black.

Mr. Peddie said that he hopes the new look will help the Raptors in their continued efforts to market themselves as Canada's NBA team.

"With the departure in Vancouver of the Grizzlies we really want to be thought of as Canada's team, not just Toronto's team," Mr. Peddie said.

By incorporating red and white into the uniform's design, Mr. Peddie said, the Raptors are celebrating their "Canadian roots."

"It's drawing on the success of the Canadian hockey program," he said.

"The red and white is very much a part of the hockey history of this country, so we're leaning on that."

Although the new uniform is reserved for the road, the NBA has given the Raptors permission to model the outfits for the first time at home in their Oct. 29 season opener against the New Jersey Nets at the Air Canada Centre.

"We do that because we think there's no better place to show a new part of your identity than to your home fans," Christopher Arena, the NBA's senior director of apparel, said in an interview. "To show it first to your home fans is a special thing to do."

After that, Mr. Arena said, the Raptors will be required to wear the new road jersey a minimum of 12 times during the regular season, primarily to give basketball fans ample opportunity to identify with the new look.

Mr. Arena said it has been the league's experience that players respond favourably when a new uniform is introduced.

That is certainly something the Raptors, coming off a horrible 24-58 record of a year ago, are hoping for.

"I think it allows the players to kind of feel different and maybe take on a different characteristic every night they play," Mr. Arena said. "Not that it gets boring wearing the same uniform. I'm sure they're proud to be in the NBA, but they have some option."

2. tigereye

tigereye Member

Yep, Its another scoop for yours truely, ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I broke this one a while back and even found a pic of the new secondary logo with maple leaf toalked about in this article. Broke the scoop on Cleveland, Denver, Orlando, Toronto.........when will it stop!?!

See the hat...........
    [​IMG]

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62891&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

BTW.............I believe this topic would be better suited for the "NBA Dish" forum. :)

3. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

I have to agree with that.. There is nothing to compare our uniforms with... A simple fact... Ours are better than the RAPTORS

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Tigereye, I read all your posts with interest because you do bring some good information to the boards about the uniforms and whatnot. But, your constant self-aggrandizement is getting very annoying. The people who are paying attention and care about the unis know what you've brought; you don't need to tell us. Reminding us of the fact is just gloating and no doubt feeds the doubters that you seem to be reacting to in the first place. So thanks for the scoops; please keep them coming, they are appreciated; but please also let the fulfillment of your prophecies come to pass without comment -- it's much classier that way.

5. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah, but you jerked everybody around with the new Rockets logo scoop. Of all the scoops that you've had, that was the most important and it was the one in which you let us down most.

I'm still mad at you

-- droxford

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why droxford what happened?

7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Don't worry, it will be here Friday.

I'm certain of it.

8. tigereye

tigereye Member

Alright alright..............I understand. It was tasteless on my part.

I'm sorry.............

Bout me being self-aggrandizement.............not all the time. I try not to be. Just on ONLY this topic and for a deserved reason. The only reason why is because sometimes I feel I get no respect at all. Case in point.........the Rockets logo that Droxford brought up.......This was all built up for this, my chance at redemption.

At that time, everyone was already in an uproar before I JOINED the disscussion. If memeory serves me correct, people were already giving DCRocket a hard time cause he gave them info BUT couldnt provide a pic. Thing was, his info was ALL CORRECT and only the people who saw the logo actually knew he was correct. The rest couldnt care less. I had recieved a red hat with white R and silver dropshadow so I decided to be a little helpfull shed a little light on the subject. When asked about it, I gave everyone an accurate description.......as best as I could for that fact. Some people got mad cause they thought I was pulling there leg. They got mad cause they couldnt visulize the logo I had described. First off, how the hell does anyone describe that thing? I said, from what I recall, " R with two rockets, one forming flat side of R, second forming curvy side of R and an ellipse midway down." That's what I saw and I did the best I could in that situation. So people asked for a pic of the thing. Thing was I didnt have a digi cam at the time. How was I supposed to tell people this? They had just roasted another person before me for giving helpfull info but not a pic. There was no way I was bout to allow that to happen..........but at times I was on the verge of being roasted. So I did the best thing...........I didnt say anything at all. Besides, I noted at several times that Tim and the people who WORKED on the logo had said they wanted there hard work to be unveiled on THERE TERMS at there time, which was July 15th. And you have to respect that. Now I know........someone is going to say, "but you dont respect other teams and blow there secrets out of the water." For that, I say in my defense.......do I know the other teams VP's of marketing and know how hard they work on this stuff? NO! Tim is the first and once I gained an idea of how hard they worked on this project, all I could do atleast for them is to respect there wishes. Its there work, not mine. That's why when David Barron recieved a pic of the logo, he didnt put it in the Chronicle immediately. He contacted the Rockets and they agreed to put it in the paper and unveil it that day (July 8) instead of on July 15th, when I believe it was planned for release.

CLFranchise knows that........I told him the whole story and gave him all the info I knew. He was one of the few that understood me and realized that I was TELLING THE TRUTH. He found that out like all of the other people who doubeted me.........when the logo was unveiled and it matched my description. For that I will be forever greatfull to him and other people like him.

And for all of those who doubted me then, this is my way at redemption.

9. tigereye

tigereye Member

Mooch.........

Is this a continueing part of our PREDICTIONS on the unveiling date or......;)

.......is this for real? :eek:

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Screw that. Talk your sh*t and get your props, tigereye. I don't mind. You worked for it.

"Classy." Sounds like those damn Spurs fans. :mad:
    ;)

11. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

It's my own self-promoting, publicized marketing ploy.

Successful? We'll see.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thing is, tigereye, not everyone was doubting you. You had to spend most of your time in that thread arguing with the doubters, but there were plenty of people reading that thread and not posting. I read that thread with interest and never doubted your information. I just didn't respond about it. I'm just telling you this because you obviously are under the impression that your scoop was not respected on the board. It was disrepected by some but well appreciated by others. You patted your own back a couple of times for that already. I think it's ok if you rest on your laurels now. :D

13. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Thanks for the props Tigereye. I'm greatful to you too, you're the real deal.

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

No probs CL.........you deserve it! :)

Now enough with this arguing.............

Here's a preview of the new RED jersey.............enjoy

[​IMG]

and here's a little info..........this was on a promo in the Toronto Star paper for mini-agme packages like the Rockets are offering......Yao Ming Big Man pack, Cat Sharpshooter pack, etc...........

#14 tigereye, Sep 11, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  15. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

16. tigereye

tigereye Member

First off...........I must note that I love coffee, so everytime I see you pop up with that s.n., I get thirsty! ;)

Now back to that matters at hand.......I do appreciate your support in that time. For everyone who supported there, I am greatfull.

And you are right. I am sure alot of people believed me then, just did not say it. I have no probs with that. Actually I really didnt care either. I just wanted to be helpfull, that's all. But then there were those that I had to fend off half of the time I was there. And when I felt threatened, I had to strike back.......like I usually do. And that's what this was for. That "Yep its my scoop!" biz I posted earlier in this thread was basicly a SHOT at them.

Those who know me know that is NOT the way I post or operate in any manner...........unless I have a devious reason to behind it.

But in any case...........your right and I should be the bigger man and let it go.

So I will.
    :)

17. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

LEAK!! Raptors uni very similar to new Rocs!

:mad:
    [​IMG]

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Simple. Decent. Not as good as the Rockets! :D

19. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Oh my god, the world is coming to an end!!

Tim, can't you do something about this!? You have to make a call to the league offices and force the Raptors not to use that jersey! This is an outrage! While you're at it, see if you can get Dawson to put a deal together for Rasheed Wallace!

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

They don't look anything like ours. The color is the only similarity.

How many Toronto/Houston uniform threads are you going to start anyway???