1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For the people that believe in GOD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T-mac&Yao=RING, May 4, 2011.

1. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

This is what gets to me as well. I mean I can be the nicest person in the world and just because I have sex I'm going to hell, I just dont like that idea.

I think hell should be for people like Bundy, Dahmer,and Hitlet.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I heard that Debbie Harry is going to lead the rapture line.

1 person likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Greatest post in the thread.

It's also interesting to note that the word rapture is never even in the bible. It was put in place at a Southern Baptist convention a while back

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the whole concept is an 18th century creation that took root in the 19th century and went bananas with the Left Behind series in the 20th century. most of the scripture used to support the notion was always interpreted to be about Jesus' resurrection...it was only in the 19th century when Darby and others started down the long road of creating "rapture" theology. you won't find anything about this from Luther, Calvin, Augustine, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, etc. such a central component of what has become "fundamentalist Christianity" -- in fact for many it is THE story...and yet the early church fathers never spoke of it.

http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_BR_Farewell_Rapture.htm

5. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

wow Swoly, relax dude lol

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you. I'm only sorry that I have to spread more rep before giving you some for this.

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

On the rapture issue, most of what Darby and Scofield propogated was from the influence of the Plymouth Brethern and fringe groups like the Irivinites in the 19th century.

NT Wright mixes metaphor with teaching and doctrine and comes out with personal preference not sound biblical study,(think Origin in the early church).

The better issue to understand is the believer's resurrection and the best place I recommend is 1 Corinthians 15- Paul's defense of it.

I left 'Left Behind' behind when it first became popular.

The bible does not mention a rapture, it mentions a resurrection, Christ the first one, then all those who belong to Christ at His appearing.

Keep It Simple

8. rhester

I've read NT Wright online, all of us have our views and prejudice, Wright and I are far apart on our understanding of scripture, but I trust we are very close on our day to day application of scripture.

What brings glory to Jesus?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure all those people referring to "Raptures" and whatnot are simply mistranslating the sacred texts, which are obviously referring to something else.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. rhester

photoshop isn't as strong a weapon as nails, cross beams, injustice and betrayal

11. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I would ask god why he created an entire world populated with people, animals, plants ect just to see if humans would praise his name....

and to cml, if im a devoted jew...Hell?
    a devoted Muslim...Hell?

That was my biggest problem with almost all religions, if you don't like ours well your sol buddy