1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[for the fwiw bin] Did Refs miss an 8-second violation to end the game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Mar 6, 2017.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So not a violation then, ok...thanks.
    DD

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

But they do call a phantom foul on kawhi DD logic is so stupid

DonKnock likes this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well I think if you decipher the wording closely "continuous possession" is where I think it's both feet and possession over the line.

What I'm thinking here is during a passing situation, only the ball has to be over the mid court line.

Just a guess tho

4. Lightsnowaction

Agreed.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf

Page 18-19. I know the link says dleague but it is the 2013-14 NBA rule book.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. TheresTheDagger

e. The ball is considered in the frontcourt once it has broken the plane of the midcourt line and is not in player control.

f. The team on offense must bring the ball across the mid court line within 8 seconds.

Ok, I guess "bring the ball across the mid court line" could potentially = heaving the ball high in the air for a jump ball in the front court.

That is one jacked up NBA interpretation of the 8 second rule if you ask me.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, that was same link as mine. I didn't look down to definition of front/back court status. Gotta agree with Nunn on that wording.

fwiw: NCAA does indeed rule it differently. I think FIBA does too, based upon others arguing with Nunn.

Art. 3. A live ball is in the front court or back court of the team in control as follows:

a. A ball that is in contact with a player or with the playing court shall be in the back court when either the ball or the player (either player when the ball is touching more than one) is touching the back court. It shall be in the front court when neither the ball nor the player is touching the back court.

b. A ball that is not in contact with a player or the playing court retains the same status as when it was last in contact with a player or the playing court.

Page 83: https://ncaambb.arbitersports.com/Groups/104883/Library/files/BR15.pdf

DonKnock likes this.
  8. WestendMassive

Why isn't there a buzzer for 8-second violations, just like a shot-clock?
    If the refs can't be expected to be able to judge tenths-of-a-second in real-time, why don't they use a buzzer? If it goes off and the refs are unsure, they can go to the replay?
    Does this make too much sense to work?

9. ipa

ipa Member

Then shouldn't it be the same when players jump across the line and saves the ball from a backcourt violation?

I mean... are there two measuring sticks?

#49 ipa, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    DonKnock and ribbit like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It is interesting that the NBA considers a ball simply rolled across the half court line without possession having having satisfied the 8 second rule. Regardless of possession ever being established. Heck, if the ball rolled completely out of bounds it satisfies the 8 second rule, but as far as I know the ball would return to the other baseline to be in-bounded.

Seems the rule should be looked at again... SAN benefited by protected itself from a foul by keeping the ball in the backcourt until the last possible second and also benefited by the 8 second interpretation. Would seem the NBA would prefer the team behind having a chance at a change of possession.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Is there a video of the Kawhi block on Harden? Can't find it and i want to give a look at the Lee foul :/

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

you guys are obsessing with this 8 second rule. we still would have been down 2 with 2 seconds left against the spurs.
    let it go

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Well you know we are shooting a 3, so about a 35% to win the game.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. ipa

ipa Member

Vivi likes this.
  15. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

The problem I have with the rockets is that when James Harden GET TIRED he gets lazy and turns over the ball... Why is the coach not replacing him when he's gets that way?

16. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

LMAO clear foul.

done with NBA.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

4) That 3 point foul on Ariza where he didn't touch the guy cost us 3 points.. whole new ball game.

FANfrom86toNow and DonKnock like this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yep, Harden was right. Without Lee hitting the shooting arm, he gets the ball on the glass before Kawhi can block it.

Very close call to make real time, but it does show how Kawhi was assisted on that block. Harden had him beat.

DonKnock and Clutch like this.
  19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I guess we'll see the official ref calls soon but that sounds like a load of BS to where a player can just launch the ball across the half court line to avoid an 8 second call with no possession. If it is, that needs to be patched up by the NBA. Props to Kawhi for hitting that touch shot and the block but the refs definitely altered the end of the game with some of their calls.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

David Lee foul makes James hesitate which allows block. Nice job NBA!

DonKnock likes this.