1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Milers in Track -- My nephew is being overused

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Jun 6, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Congratulations again to my nephew Gannon, and my brother and his wife. Go Go Gannon. He just clocked the second fastest 1600m "mile" in the nation for juniors on Saturday. I guess my OP worries of over-working him were unnecessary, as many stated in this thread.

4:10 (which is 4:11.5ish for true mile)

[​IMG]

The fastest junior is another Virginian who has Olympic-quality parents. Drew and his parents are pretty awesome. Gannon is trying to catch up on just 1 1/2 years of running track/cc. Was a swimmer prior

#41 heypartner, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Congrats! Keep us updated heyp.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pfft, thats nothing. One of my relatives is rocketgirl. ;)

4. heypartner

By Invitation only, the Southern Track Classic...Go Go Gannon clocked a 9:09 in a true 2-mille, second to Andrew Hunter again.

This is currently the third fastest 2-mile in the Nation, and 2nd fastest for a junior. Hunter is a Virginian Junior, too.

5. Buck Turgidson

Had you not told us, I would have guessed your nephew was Carter Blunt

6. heypartner

His dad (my brother) was born in Corpus Christi.

I have definitely been a spectator cheering on Texas and Blunt, at Cross Country Nationals in San Diego. Made it a point to shake his hand.

7. heypartner

Congratulations to 2015 Senior Matthew Maton who just broke the 4 minute mile for the third fastest mile in US High School history. He was at a U of Oregon event running unattached against college men. He got third in the race. But check this out

High School Boys All-Time Mile List:

1. Alan Webb, 3:53.43 (2001)

2. Jim Ryun, 3:55.3 (1965)

3. Matthew Maton, 3:59.38 (2015)

4. Tim Danielson, 3:59.4 (1966)

5. Lukas Verzbicas, 3:59.71 (2011)*

6. Marty Liquori, 3:59.8 (1967)

Duck alums Mac Fleet and Matt Miner were charged with pacing the field through 1,000 meters in 2:27 and 1,200 meters in 2:58. Current Ducks stars Eric Jenkins and Will Geoghegan worked together at the front, along with Isaac Presson of Furman Elite.

Maton, who targeted this race as a sub-four attempt, led the chase pack slightly off the front group. As the laps clicked by in unofficial splits of 61, 59 and 61, he passed 1,200 meters in just under 3:02. Surely - he was out of contention.

But while Jenkins and Geoghegan battled down the homestretch for top honors, there was a familiar scene building as Maton employed the same kick that propelled him to a 3:42.54 1,500m (US #3 All-Time) at last month's Oregon Relays.

The Summit High School senior split about 58 seconds in the final lap to break away from the chase pack and pass Presson.

The clock stopped at 3:57.09 as Jenkins found the extra gear over Geoghegan, who ran 3:57.53.

Maton flew through the finish line and collapsed on the ground. A full house at Hayward Field caught its collective breath as all eyes centered on the scoreboard in anticipation of final results.

"I felt kinda off tonight so I was happy to put in that last lap to seal the deal!" he said.

8. heypartner

Update...

Carter Blunt won Texas 5A State Championship 1600 at 4:10.2...beating Gannon's time by .5. So Carter is now the second fastest Junior in the Nation at 1600, Gannon is 3rd. Still more races to come.

9. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Still in great position and doing big things.

10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Just stumbled upon this thread but I'm glad I did! Thanks for sharing HeyP, your nephew sounds awesome! My fastest mile time in high school was a lowly 5:08 lol. Our sprinters were the focus and distance was an after-thought. But I ran cross country as well and I'm an avid tennis fan..sounds like we have some things in common

1 person likes this.
  11. heypartner

Although his 9:09 true two mile is no longer high on the ranking list like his 4:10 1600, the video of that race is pretty impressive. Against Andrew Hunter, Gannon clocked a 64 second last lap, fastest lap of the race. Boy has a kick. He is still just getting the feel for it, and Andrew Hunter is in his 3A Virginian class, so they run against each other all the time.

Andrew is a machine. His dad is world class (won the Boulder Bolder in '81, Olympian invite), mother is NCAA national class.

But it's always nice to run the fastest split in the field...on the last lap.