1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Milers in Track -- My nephew is being overused

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I ran a 4:11 mile in high school and a 9:14 3200.... His coach is doing the right thing. He is too young to be locked in a single event and his "strength" will probably chance a few times over the next few years anyway. Doing all three events will make him stronger.

2. Buck Turgidson

Is he totally uncoordinated enough to play real sports? So he just runs around like a stock car?

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Being in the relay race won't affect him. They're closing events. Everyone wants be included in those. It can be an honory thing a bit like being named in an unofficial first team.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh shut up. I'm right there in agreement with you. Screw individual sports. I want one of my 20 nieces and nephews to play a team sport. But the mile is a god consolation.

He was pretty great at baseball at 13 batting like .600 or maybe even .800 and playing shortstop. He had a natural swing. But then he met a girl on the cross country team, and just simply switched to impress her

That's what happened and I don't get it. I was so jazzed from a family of individual sports kids to see one of the nephews excel at a team sport, but then the girl turned him. So sad.

Well my younger sister has a national academy U-14 soccer player on her hands. Mainly because she married a soccer player. We will see what this 13yr old can do being coached by the national team

5. heypartner

Yeah, I remember from previous posts from you that you're than man at cfnet in the mile. But don't recall you sharing your times. That is so awesome. Can you share some stories what it was like to run those times? I'm just so envious.

So, my story is jaded. My dad ran a 4:06 in HS like 20 yrs before Jim Ryun broke the 4 min barrier as a HSer,,,and 3 yrs before any human broke it (Roger Bannister)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wTXoTnp_5sI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My story in this thread is I believe my coaches screwed me over. Thus why I worry my nephew is being overused. All I wanted to do as a kid was impress my dad. I got clocked at 4:38 as an 8th grader, 12 yrs old. But that was somewhat miraculous (30 seconds faster than PB to date) because some 14yr old kid out of nowhere made me chase him down. I was like a horse; I only did what it took to win. I had this race down. I could also call out my time as I circled the track.

Then...this is the jaded part. Then after that 4:38, I became a 9th grader where the 2 mile was a race. And I ran cross country the entire fall. My coaches said, Well, let's have Kevin run both the mile and 2 mile. I had absolutely no interest in cross country or the two mile. I only wanted to run the mile. All I wanted was a Pepsi, but they wouldn't give it to me.

I developed a sharp pain under the arch of my foot. This was 1979. This pain was later termed plantar fasciitis. But none of us knew what it was (not even my doctor dad), and my coaches just said suck it up. I ran every 2 mile, limping into some finishes, and never ran the last event of the meet once...the mile.

Then I switched to arguably my better sport, tennis, and never ran the mile again.

All I wanted to do was break my dad's 4:06 time. And my coaches overused me. I had a good shot at it.

so sad. So I just want my nephew to fockass on the mile, like I wanted to.

Tell me a story, Nook!

#25 heypartner, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When is this race? Does he have time to get in a trial run in to see how well he can manage all three distances?

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Cool story heyp, it's tragic though. Like a 30 for 30 doc man.

8. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Just looked up one of my old highschool teamates who won state in 93-94 with a 4:13. I'm just now realizing what kind of insane times you guys ran. It was incredible to watch. He may be OK if he runs the 1600 FIRST and the rest is gravy.

9. heypartner

thx...not too tragic though...since I did go to State in Tennis, and played at Rice. That was cool. But I didn't really like that as much as the mile. I really just wanted to chase people down.

Buck Turgidson says...run around in circles. Kinda...But this is KingCheetah circles. I wanted the thrill of running the competition down from behind in a huge kick. When you get in that kick, you are like on air. Your no longer actually feel your legs...and you just go,,,,faster...faster....

that kick is the biggest high i've ever felt. well...not really. but, you get my point.

#29 heypartner, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  10. heypartner

cool...I'm really interested in the current times.

11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

OFF TOPIC.

Regarding the 4 minute mile and other accomplishments, here's a TED Talk about humans performing better in sports. Considering the time frame when your dad ran, he might have been better than many runners who have ended up breaking the 4 minute mile.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8COaMKbNrX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. heypartner

Update....He ended up third in outdoor State for the 2-mile, and was drained for the mile. My brother says he ran a bad strategy race in the 2-mile. and had to chase down the 2nd place guy, almost passing him,,,but the winner was a class above the field.

But the summer training took him to the top again, apparently.

Gannon wins one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Cross Country Invitationals in VA...The Fork Union Military Academy Invitational.

http://va.milesplit.com/meets/178251/results/316688

The Tuesday before that he ties best time in a 4x2 mile relay,,,and chases down competition to get the win for his team

http://www.dailyprogress.com/sports...cle_eb5b5ce8-330f-11e4-9230-0017a43b2370.html

[​IMG]

And they got a quote from him...sounds like he is reciting his coach...gotta love it

#33 heypartner, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not a runner, but at 15, I was fapping furiously to pictures (didn't have streaming then like we do now).

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ha, I think he has my shoes. Tell him kudos.

Incidentally, from your older personal story thing like plantar fasciitis are usually biomechanical problems and not necessarily because your coaches forced you to run a 2 miler. So it is all your fault. Wuss.

I was probably a better two miler than miler but I was so lazy as a trainer. 7th place at the all city meet in 8th grade but nobody told me my time. Ghetto school. I also had my HS career cut short due to almost dying of pneumonia freshman year. Obviously if I had known I was going to be out by 9th grade I would have tried harder before.

17. heypartner

OK, I've been debating whether to post this...don't want to jinx my nephew scoring well in Nationals. He qualified for Nationals in Cross Country, for this Saturday... one of 40 runners in the entire USA. So much for me questioning the coaches in the OP.

This is a video of his post Regional interview. Please watch if you want to see a kid who LOVES running and competing

http://usa.milesplit.com/meets/178946/videos/?id=68034#.VImFFHviiW5

15:01 (4:50 splits) in just one year of running :eek:

I'm headed to San Diego in like 3 hours to see him run on Saturday. So jazzed, I can't sleep!
    Go Gannon!

#37 heypartner, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Go go Gannon!

DD

1 person likes this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

Can milers turn right?

20. heypartner