1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(For Fun) Call Your Shot - Pick Any Two Players

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Sep 13, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I like the idea, but I highly doubt we win a bidding war for EE, especially with BOS purportedly interested.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is how I profile the starting pitching market this offseason (* indicates free agent, all others I am speculating are available for trade):

Aces:
    Sale
    Quintana
    Archer
    Teheran
    Greinke

ToR SP w/ questions:
    Hill*
    Pineda
    Ventura
    Felix Hernandez
    Gray
    Cobb
    T Ross
    Anderson*

MoR:
    Duffy
    Hellickson*
    Smyly
    Volquez
    Kennedy
    Garcia
    Bailey
    Santana

BoR w/upside:
    Fister*
    Chacin*
    Garza
    Cashner*
    Medlen
    Cain
    Nova*
    Liriano
    Shields
    Buchholz

Going into the offseason they have Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh, Musgrove, and Fiers pencilled in. They have Rodgers, Devenski, Feliz, Paulino, Martes, Peacock, and a few others who will add depth. So I don't think it makes sense for Houston to add starting pitching unless it is a star who would be likely to serve as a significant upgrade to Fiers.

oelman44 and No Worries like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would not pencil McCullers in. The Astros and McCullers need to figure out how McCullers have a long and healthy MLB career. That might mean McCullers maybe transitions from a starter to a closer or McCullers has to rework his pitch selection.

I would pencil in Keuchel, McHugh, and Musgrove. Keuchel and McHugh both underperformed this year. Musgrove is a rookie and may need to make adjustments next year as the league adjusts to him. Of the three, I can not with confidence pick my #1 and #2 starter.

The Astros need to upgrade their starting pitching. The FAs are underwhelming and trades will gut the farm. The Astros will have to decide whether they keep their best starting pitching prospects Paulino and Martes, or they trade them for vets. Luhnow will earn his money this offseason.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This.

My pick-2 players were reliever Aroldis Chapman (at a very steep price) and Carlos Beltrán (who is 38 years old and may settle for a two year contract). But neither address our biggest need SP.

Trades for SP is going to hurt. The Astros do have near ready prospects to dangle like Rodgers, Devenski, Feliz, Paulino, Martes, and Peacock. I do not know if the Astros have enough prospects though to get a pitcher like Sale, especially if the White Sox will only make a deal if they are blown away.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A package built around Martes, Reed, K Tucker, and one of Paulino/Musgrove/Feliz should be enough for any player out there, even Sale, especially if Houston takes back a big contract (Shields) along with Sale. Martes, Reed, Musgrove and Tucker are Top 50 type guys and Paulino/Feliz/Fisher are Top 100 types. That's an insane amount of value for one player.

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Jose Quintana via trade
    Martin Prado or Dexter Fowler via free agency

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This + torn meniscus now. Really puts into question his ability to handle a starting catching load. Although at a discount, perhaps it would make sense to split time 50/50ish with Gattis.