1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For fans of The Daily Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dei, Feb 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dei

Dei Member

For the record, I don't watch Fox so quit dragging it into this. But what I do know about Fox is that, while it is heavily slanted to the right, it is still a news show. People expect facts. That's why they get slammed if they fabricate stuff. On the other hand, The Daily Show as a "fake news" show, doesn't really have as strong a definition as to what they're supposed to be. Apparently, that gives them license to put whatever they want in there and get away with it.

What're you complaining about here?

Well, if it's hurt a political cause, how much of a comedy can it simply be?

I'm not admitting that it's hurt my cause though. Just showing that there's something wrong with TDS.

2. Dei

Dei Member

What part of that did I deflect?

How about you start addressing issues I've given out? I've been addressing yours responsibly. I think, in the good faith of a constructive debate, you address my issues, in turn.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

It is the underlying question behind the issues you are raising. It sounds to me like you are holding TDS responsible for other people's (sometimes criminal) activity.

It is a simple YES/NO question. Are you stating Jon Stewart is responsible for the behavior of his viewers?

YOU said, because of the interview, this guy received death threats. Is that Jon Stewart's fault? YES/NO

4. Dei

Dei Member

Should Jon be criminally prosecuted for the death threats? No, I don't think so. Should he be to blame for the people actually sending out death threats? Yes.

Ok, your turn. Why won't Jon release the undoctored videos upon request?

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually, they do have a strong definition of themselves. They are a "fake news" TV show on The Comedy Channel. Hosted by a comedian. With comedians as "reporters" (eg Sandra Bee). With a large team of comedy writers.

Actually, I don't seem to be the one here complaining. But I do question your description of TDS being "supposedly just a comedy show". There is no "supposedly"... it is a comedy show.

There has been political humor in the US for hundreds of years. I suspect in other countries for much longer. Making Schiff look bad doesn't change the fact that TDS is a comedy show. And btw, TDS also uses humor to poke at Democrats too (though more often Republicans... there is so much more to poke fun at.

6. krosfyah

This coming from a supporter of the party for "personal responsibility". You are holding TDS accountable for other people's behavior. Hypocrisy noted.

So lets keep "debating". So your blame has been noted. Now what?

You want to release the undoctored video to who and by what medium? Will that stop the death threats?

Personally, I could care less because if you believe there has been "damage", as the damage is now done. For the record, I'm not in favor of misleading viewers. But you are welcome to turn it off as am I. If the show alienates their viewers, they will no longer be relevant. It's called capitalism.

Rush Limbaugh suffered the wrath of capitalism when he called that woman a slut and he lost a bunch of advertisers. Only then did he make an apology.

Dude, let it go. You don't like TDS. Noted.

7. Dei

Dei Member

What is "fake news"? Everything in there is fake? The interviews are all fake?

I honestly, honestly don't know what TDS' stance on their interviews are. Idk if they're selling it as the guy slipped up, so let's all laugh at him or check out how we doctored it, it's funny.

If it's the former, then they have a serious case of explaining to do with how much they doctor stuff. If's it's the latter, then they don't warn enough, I think, and, since they do know that a good number of people do still take their content seriously, they're knowingly villainizing their interviewees.

It is. But it's not "just a comedy show". Their content is very liberal leaning. And, as we've been talking about, their interviews are seemingly with agenda.

And

Sounds like a complaint to me.

That's a fair excuse. Of course, if a newspaper cherry picked its stories for a specific, I wouldn't call it without agenda. Also, as we've been discussing in this thread, the lengths they go to in their interviews to make a conservative interviewee to look bad.

8. Dei

Dei Member

"Accountable" is such a loaded word. I'm using my words in a non-strict legal notion.

Sure, they're to blame. They know there are people who take their show seriously but they villainize their interviewees. These interviewees get death threats. You ask these people why they sent those death threats and they'll say because of TDS.

Simple.

I think so. It'll clarify things. Schiff requested his video actually (http://schiffradio.com/b/EXCLUSIVE:...alf-of-The-Daily-Show/143401069482604448.html)

Idk what specific medium but I don't think it'll be that hard to release an undoctored video.

Well, you're a horrible person.

I think there is a big moral issue with TDS. They are misleading viewers.

Why shouldn't I talk about it? Likewise, you're free to leave this thread if you don't want to read about it.

9. krosfyah

At no point have they EVER misrepresented themselves as anything other than a Comedy show.

Yes, they warn you every time the show starts and it states it's on Comedy Central.
    Not once have I heard you say anything about Limbaugh. Should he not more frequently inform his viewers? Your outrage is lopsided.

You are flat wrong. Stewart has never once support any political candidate. They have never donated any money nor have they ever made a public speaking appearance at any political event in favor of one party.

Your PERCEPTION that he is liberal leaning is rooted in your own agenda that you do not like to hear criticism of your own ilk. TDS often spoofs liberal candidates. For example, they were merciless about the Anthony Weiner story.

If you do/say something stupid, you are fair game. It's just that GOP candidates leave themselves often for entertaining criticism rather frequently, hence your perception.

1 person likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

Its a fake news show, much like the Onion is a fake newspaper. And with a recent funny exception (sorry bigtexx), people here understand The Onion isn't presenting itself as anything but a fake newspaper.

So, your complaint isn't that its a comedy show, but that it is "very liberal leaning?" IMO that doesn't change the fact its a comedy show. It is a comedy show with that is liberal leaning (that is, of course, when they aren't poking fun at Democrats or "liberals.").

And

No... more like a "surprised you don't see The Daily Show on Comedy Central is not a comedy show." A complaint would look more like this" "Gee, Clutch, can you get Dei to stop thinking TDS isn't a comedy show? He is annoying me."

Again, TDS isn't a newspaper nor a news TV show. Its a comedy show.

11. krosfyah

Hypocrisy noted ...again.

TDS didn't make anybody break the law. Making a death threat is illegal.

You freely admit "accountable" is a loaded term. And you are doing just that. So I don't understand your position.

Whatever. I have no idea what the logistics are of doing so. If they don't release the video, my opinion is altered little to none given that the man CONSENTED to do an interview with a comedian.

Coming from the person making a hypocrite argument, your insult does not sting.

Again, where is your outrage for Fox News' "Fair & Balanced" coverage. It comes off hypocritical about your moral standing.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

The Daily Show uses casting directors and talent agencies to find their next Carell or Corbert. they cast comic actors who can pull off the "intrepid reporter" angle.

I don't quite see what the fuss is, or why people continue arguing and debating for arguing and debate's sake, but this thread and the one from the Onion are as funny as their source material, written by comedy writers.

13. NewRoxFan

Correct. Interesting, the reporter in this case was Sandra Bee, a comedic actress whose prior experience to TDS was as one of the four founding members of Toronto-based sketch comedy troupe The Atomic Fireballs.

Ironically, Fox news had a prior run-in with Ms. Bee:

14. krosfyah

Dei, where is your "outrage"?

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

It doesn't work that way.

16. Dei

Dei Member

Action speaks louder than words. Their choice and angle of their stories. They attack conservatives by misrepresenting them in interviews. Jon’s debated and been very antagonistic to conservative show guests. He has a liberal crowd on that claps whenever something about the minimum wage, pro-gay, or multiculturalism is on.

You people have accused Fox of not being manipulating the facts for a conservative bias so why can’t I accuse TDS of being more than just a comedy show?

Again with dragging conservative media into this. I don’t know. I don’t listen to Limbaugh. But last I heard, he’s been presenting himself as a commentator. If he’s dishonest somewhere there to the effect that he manipulates statements, that’s his loss. He can get called out for it. He doesn’t have the excuse that he’s a comedy show like TDS.

But, to your concern, I do think he should warn people more because, again, a lot go into the interviews thinking it’s real. But I personally wonder how it would bode for the humor if they put up a disclaimer that their interviews are doctored, that the person that looks bad doesn’t really mean what he says.

Not talking about that kind of support. I’m talking about TDS being agenda’d.

But Weiner had a scandal; a really funny one at that. I’ve never heard TDS going after liberal figures in their interviews in the same fashion they do with their conservative interviewees.

Sure. But the point of this thread is that they also manipulate interviews out of context.

17. Dei

Dei Member

Follow the whole thread, please.

18. Dei

Dei Member

Now you're just repeating the same old claim. It is "fake news" but the degree of fabrication isn't really set. The Onion is absolutely fake news, afaik; I don't read it. It's just obviously, obviously fake. Idk about TDS. They have original bits but sometimes they just cut out and laugh at a gaffe. But, to the matter of the thread, Idk where they stand on the legitimacy of their interviews.

As has been said many, many, many times already, there are people who do think TDS is a factual news show. Rocket River cited an article for it. Schiff's TDS interview was cited by media. And this is material because of issues I've raised before regarding interviewees being villainized.

You're a crappy debater. Seriously. You just keep claiming the same thing again and again while ignoring my arguments.

I'm saying it's agenda'd.

It's also a complaint. The very notion of what a complaint is is to basic that it's hilarious to me that you don't get it. But it's a moot topic so I'll let the public be the judge. I'm sure they'll see it for what it is - a complaint. Funny, though.

Whatever.

19. Dei

Dei Member

TDS didn't make anybody break the law. Making a death threat is illegal.

You freely admit "accountable" is a loaded term. And you are doing just that. So I don't understand your position.[/QUOTE]

And this is how you're calling me a hypocrite? I don't think you know how to use that word properly.

For the record, I said I'm not using accountable. I'm using blame. And I've been clear as to what degree Jon should be blamed for others' actions.

I honestly think you're having a problem digesting sentences. What's the matter? Anger got the best of you?

That doesn't make him any less of a victim. Would I excuse the show for causing these people suffering? I'm pretty sure none who signed that argument would've done so knowing it'd be manipulated to such a degree that they'd be villainized. Most of these people go on the show with the intent to inform.

For the record, Schiff was told that what he'd be saying wouldn't be taken out of context (http://schiffradio.com/b/EXCLUSIVE:-How-The-Daily-Show-Lies/-846064028400943500.html). Apparently, this is just a hook. TDS then makes you sign a waiver allowing them to cut it to their agenda. At the end of the day, this just speaks for TDS' method and integrity.

That's because you're dead inside.

Like I said, I don't watch Fox News. I don't care about Fox News. I've said my stance about Fox News, though, for your sake. Just read through the thread. I'm tired of digging it up and you just ignoring them.

Sounds like you're just trying to deflect criticism and hijack the thread.

20. Dei

Dei Member

Idk man. You want me to comment on an article from 05? I wasn't even a Clutchfans member then.