1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For fans of The Daily Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dei, Feb 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this is only a piece of the puzzle.

#doubledown

#nuance

2. Dei

Dei Member

Here:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=87fab564aedc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like Steve Carrell so that's nice to hear.

3. Dei

Dei Member

This is just crazy.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

You are joking, right? News programs spend their entire day cutting news, which includes interviews, press conferences, written reports, all into little pieces and feed these little pieces that they want to feed to us and then make generalizations based on them.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

No, it is sane, enlightened and civilized.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

No, I'm talking about splicing so a question is shown, followed by an answer to a completely different question, but the viewer thinks they go together.

News organizations don't do that.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Putting together two completely random, independent answers that then make it seem as if the interviewee was saying the exact opposite of what they might have meant is exactly the type of thing TDS makes fun of other stations for doing.

Unexpected? Perhaps not entirely.

But certainly of utmost hypocrisy.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Here's a Fox News article discussing Rick Santorum's defense of Limbaugh for calling Sandra Fluke a slut saying, oh Limbaugh is just an "entertainer".
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/02/santorum-limbaugh-entertainer-comment-absurd/

In Limbaugh's own book "Hot Air" (1989):
    "I'm not out to save the country. I'm out to get a large audience. I'm an entertainer first and a conservative second" [Page 229]"

Then the tables turn.

For folks to question the integrity of a show on a comedy station, your really saying that their viewers are too stupid to know the difference. Every comedian that ever lived makes fun of other people. ALL COMEDIANS do that. Folks that are upset are only upset because of TDS success. If the show was irrelevant, this would be a non-topic.

9. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Or you can listen to his 3 hour podcast with Joe Rogan where he shows how much of a nutter he is. Unedited, nowhere to hide.

The guy believes the person you work for can decide your value and if you think it is to low go work somewhere else. The worlds richest economy where people work full time and still live in poverty. And this dude wants to lower the minimum wage further.

I'm sick of crazy conservatives, talking like crazy conservatives and blame everyone else when they are exposed as crazy conservatives.

10. Dei

Dei Member

Yes, it is crazy, close-minded and unlearned.

11. Dei

Dei Member

You get your market value. Businesses also compete for workers and will pay more to get more competent employees.

Some jobs are entry level. Not everyone needs to be able to raise a family on their salary ex. kids working as helpers who just want gas money or to be able to take dates. Some may just want the experience. We've had cases where unpaid interns came back and demanded payment and sued the companies to compliance which has made companies more reticent towards getting interns unless they are working for course credit; therefore, internship is now made limited to those who can afford tuition.

12. Dei

Dei Member

So are you ready to concede that Jon's show is utter garbage? That its content is pure lies fabricated for a stupid audience?

13. krosfyah

The content is pure comedy.

Your problem, and that is YOUR problem, is that you take him too seriously. I'd suggest you lower your bar of expectations and move on. I know your bar is too high because I don't hear your outrage when Fox News does something similar. They were caught photoshoping images at Tea Party rallies by adding participants to make the events appear larger than they actually were. Where was your outrage?

Can comedians make public commentary? Absolutely. But TDS is not broadcast on NPR or 60 minutes. It's not journalism.

If you want to call ALL comedians "garbage", then fine. I'd suggest, instead, you lower your bar.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dei

Dei Member

But you just said that the audience is taking it seriously? Jon can't possibly be oblivious to this fact but he keeps on feeding this audience. So it's fair to say that TDS is liberal propaganda. If only the sole casualty is the audience but the people whose interviews he splices up are villainized and get sent death threats.

Not here. I don't watch Fox News but I remember that incident. But going back to the topic at hand: I find more reason to be angry about The Daily Show than Fox News. The Daily Show is bigger than it's making itself out to be. It does the same thing they're chastising Fox News of doing. However, Fox News gets caught and paid the price - they lost their credibility; TDS gets caught and they get a pass because they're supposedly just a "comedy show".

No. I'm saying TDS is either liberal propaganda, designed for gullible idiots, or a big joke that fails to label itself properly as such.

PS. We've tackled these issues before. I have posts with unanswered issues here, here, and here.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its OK for a comedy program to using editing techniques for comedic effect, but when it relies on making fun of a person's views then there is a responsibility (even for comedians) to not dishonestly manipulate his/her words. IMO, good comedy relies on finding humor in how things are. Not to say that comedians don't regularly exaggerate and rely on straw-men to get laughs, but the more they rely on this the less interesting the comedy becomes. This is especially the case when the joke is poking fun of specific people, and not just situations or abstract ideas.

So, the "we're just a comedy show" excuse really doesn't fly for me. If that's how they want to put it, then I'd just say if you have to be dishonest or manipulative to get your laughs then you're not a very good comedy show. The Daily Show has some of the best writers around, and they should be better than this.

#75 durvasa, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Say what? The Daily Show is "bigger that its made out to be?" The Daily Show presents itself as a fake news show. Contrast that with how Fox presents itself: "Fair and Balanced" and before that, claimed to be "Real Journalism." You don't see a big difference in how both describe what they do?

And "supposedly just a comedy show?" Seriously?

I understand, Jon Stewart and The Daily Show has hurt your political cause. And since complaining about Chris Mathews and Keith Olberman is passe you have to find a new bogeyman.

17. krosfyah

Please quote me where I said that.

So Jon Stewart is responsible for other people's behavior? Is that your position?

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The person you work for decides your value to them as an employee, not as human being, and not the value you or anyone else puts on yourself.

Lowering the minimum wage makes employable the lowest skilled workers who need experience (and employment) the most.

As Schiff said, the fact that the mentally disabled are exempted from minimum wage laws is a tacit admission that such laws prevent low skilled people from finding work. Because they don't yet have the experience/skills to justify paying them a minimum wage.

And we haven't even discussed megamillionaire Jon Stewart using unpaid interns at TDS.

Sick of people thinking calling someone a crazy nutter qualifies as a refutation of their arguments. It's lazy and dumb.

19. Dei

Dei Member

Apparently you didn't. But it is true. There are people who do take his show seriously and I've posted serious issues about that.

Sure. He knows these people get villainized. What he's doing is the catalyst.

20. krosfyah

So you deflected my question. Is TDS responsible for other people's behavior?