1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For dudes over 30 and never married

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Jan 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Any dudes over 30 and not married? Why or why not? I have a girlfriend (whom I'm very happy with) who's hinting me to get married, not out right, but I can tell. I donno, my little brother, who's married to a hot wife tells me not to get married. My cousin and my best friend say the same thing. They aren't unhappy, but like my brother says "I'm just content".

I've never been married, but backed out of two purposals during my mid 20's.

Opinions from single guys over 30.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We Want Pre-nup

1 person likes this.
  3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm over 30 and never been married. I've been with the same lady for 10 years and we have a child together. It works well for both of us so why potentially ruin it? Sure there are some benefits of marriage but there are also some drawbacks.

Now let me say, I am not an opponent of marriage and if it works for you or you believe it is the right thing to do then go for it. Please do not come at me with the "Oh, you need to get married for....." lines. Save them. Thank you.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

over 30 never married. i'm not opposed to it. mostly because i don't see the point, partly because i don't want kids, and another part is i don't like people telling me what i can/can't do with my time/money. there's too much compromise for my taste when it comes to marriage. i've been with my g/f a long, long time. to me it's more important how you treat your SO than having a marriage certificate.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm 28. GF is eager to get married, we've been together for almost 4 years.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

She's not that type of a ho. :cool:

[smoke]

-----------------

SRSLY speaking, though, I am 36 and married
    *you can stop reading here if you want to dismiss this married Mexican dude's opinion*
    and I am wondering... why are women "eager to get married" or "hinting to get married"??? If the guy wants to get married, he will ask for your hand in marriage from your parents (if you were brought up that way) or he will just let it be...

If you're eager, women, just move on to another guy whom you might think would ask you sooner than your current boyfriend.

That's just my opinion. Women shouldn't ask men to ask them to marry. :eek:

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm not opposed to it. Been pressured to do it a few times, but I have just never been sure enough, I guess. I hope I will be some day in the future...and that it won't be too late.

8. brozef

brozef Member

29, single, no kids, never married, and no GF. I'm happy. I haven't dated anyone for longer than two years, and have just put school/career as priority #1 and haven't met anyone who was willing to take second place yet. Priorities might change, but for now it is what it is.

2 people like this.
  9. VanityHalfBlack

fleshlight......

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What are the drawbacks? :confused:

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it seems every guy that's married gives the advice of "not to". Sometimes they may mean it, sometimes i just think it's one of those jokes that every married man likes to say. After I'm married i'll let you know which is right.

Be sure to think about it and be sure that you two talk out all the details with your G/F. Does she want children? if so, how many and when? Will she work when she has kids? Where does she want to live? etc etc.

It's amazing how many people get married and don't talk about some of the most simple, but important items.

1 person likes this.
  12. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I'm 30 and fit the bill here. Combination of prioritizing career over relationships, sowing royal oats and bad luck. I'm not against marriage, I just place a higher value on getting more financially established.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's this one probably 95% of the time.

I didn't get married until I was 36. I can't even imagine being married in my 20's. No WAY I was even close to being mature enough for that kind of commitment.

14. Prince

Prince Member

over 30 and single

[​IMG]

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good advice, but there's always the chance she'll change once she squirts a kid out.

In my own case, my current GF says she's willing to move to another country (New Zealand!) with me, but I wonder if we settled down here for a couple of years if she wouldn't put a kibosh on that. Women seem to become more firm once they are married or with child.

I'm nearly 25 and have finally started my career. She is in the same position, and I can tell that her and her folks are just waiting for us to make that next step. I still have no idea when I'll be ready for that.

16. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm not going to tell you should get married, but you might in fact for all intents and purposes be married at this point. Common law marriage rules are different in every state (in the 16 that allow it, including Texas), but if you tell the community you are married, call each other husband and wife, use the same last name, file joint income tax returns, etc. you could be construed as married according to the state. And if you split up, you would have to get a divorce even if you never officially "got married." That happened to a college friend's parents. Together 20 years, 3 kids, owned property, never officially married. They had to file for a divorce because they were common law married by that point.

And even if you're not married, once you have a kid, things become much more legally complex if you split up. Unless one of you has zero interest in the child, and the other wants no support from you, you'll need a lawyer to sort out all the custody\child support issues.

Back to the OP, I got married before I was 29 and am still happily married 10 years later, but I say do whatever makes you comfortable. I can see reasons to not commit to a long term relationship, and I can see tying the knot if you're really happy. Just be aware that long term relationships are a lot of work. You'll have good times and rough times. If you can communicate well, and you put effort into your relationship to stay close, you will generally be a lot happier with each other. That's easier said than done though, and it gets so much more difficult when you add kids and jobs to the mix.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

There are benefits and drawbacks both ways as I see it. I didn't meant to imply there are only benefits or only drawbacks to one or the other.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm 50 and never been married.

Do not regret it one bit.

It helps to be a musician.... :grin:

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Seriously? 10 years, with a kid? and not married?

How would you respond if somebody told you to "be a man"?

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Too many people rush to find someone at an age too early for them to know better, so they end up marrying the wrong person. The problem isn't marriage itself, but the wrong people being together. They are married with kids before they even truly know each other. Marriages fall apart soon after and people find it easier to blame marriage than their decision making.

I think if you've been with someone for years and still have doubts, then you haven't experienced life enough with them. Otherwise you would know if you could marry them or not.

I'm almost 29, single, never been married, but had two long relationships previously and thought they may be the one at some point. I'm glad i didn't rush to it or I'd be unhappy now.

2 people like this.