1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Deckard: Hypothetical Scenario to Acquire Lebron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jun 9, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was hoping that aelliott would step up to the plate as usual. This seems fairly realistic.

Deuce, donkeypunch and hakeem94 like this.
  2. saleem

Does Lebron have to opt out on June 29th, or can he wait until July 1st or longer?

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

Opt in*, and the 29th is the deadline. Less than three weeks to learn if LeBron is a Rocket or not.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Another issue is that the Bulls have expressed a desire to be active in free agency this year.

The more I’ve looked at this the more unlikely it seems if cleveland is flat out unwilling to absorb Anderson. The teams with space to take him on are all hoping to be in free agency this year, even if that is unrealistic. They won’t want to punt on that possibility before they get a chance to get turned down

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The entire deal is proposed to be done in the '18-19 season. All salaries and cap space included are '18 -'19.

saleem likes this.
  6. saleem

Can a trade for Lebron to the Rockets be completed after July 1st?
    Edit: aelliott has already answered the question.

7. aelliott

One other possible benefit.

Under prior CBAs teams were allowed to treat multi-team trades as multiple individual trades for the purpose of salary matching. If that is still included in the current CBA (Bima?) then I believe the Anderson to Chicago for Felicio portion of the deal would generate an $11.5M Trade Exception for Houston.

The Rockets were able to generate a trade exception in a similar manner with the multi-team TMac trade.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I heard he wants to be a starter somewhere else anyway. He’s a good player but he’s hit his ceiling, and it’s well short of All-Star. Trading him for a GOAT contender would be a huge upgrade.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Just difficult imagining Chicago forgoing their cap space before free agency even begins, all for a late first.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. justtxyank

There’s almost zero chance. Their reporters have been talking about Chicago’s intention to be players in free agency.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

But if we take on Asik's contract, for them it's equivalent to just taking on a 9M contract. That sounds much better.

12. aelliott

The point is that they have $40M in cap space. They aren't likely to spend anywhere close to that amount. A hypothetical like this would still leave them with $$28.5M in cap space. That's more than they are likely to use.

13. justtxyank

Except the asik contract will be an asset as it has a big non guaranteed amount signed under the previous cba

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trade him to Atlanta. Prime dumping ground.

joshuaao and saleem like this.
  15. aelliott

Yeah. Again it's just an idea of a framework for a deal. The actual team and players can be completely different. Don't get hung up on the team/player that I happened to pick for an example.

Even the total salaries included could be very different. Morey can always go acquire some non-guaranteed deals again and include those.

ashleyem likes this.
  16. justtxyank

Fair point.

Clarification needed:

Does the cap space in these opt in and trade scenarios work under the current cap or the next cap?

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

one of the best posters if my memory serves me well

18. aelliott

Everything that I quoted was next year's ('18-'19)

MICHAEL W LAND and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think this is no longer allowed under the new CBA if I am not mistaken. But we can throw in Zhou and Aaron Jackson if necessary.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

This is basically how it would have to go down. Atlanta could be a team that takes Anderson also. I honestly do not think it’s impossible to move Anderson to a rebuilding team because picks are more important than salary for them.whats the point of cap space if you don’t plan on using it? Taking Anderson and getting some more first round picks helps the rebuild, and once they’re ready to start competing again, he’s coming off the books and now you have your cap space.

The simple fact that it takes some diving into to realize it’s possible is why, I think, we’re hearing so many pass it off as “unrealistic.”

BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.