1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For Daryl Morey, a game is agony until it is over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 12, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I just want to know which one of you is Daryl.

He’s one of us... Who got his dream job.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Did he ever answer all those tecent questions on reddit? Anyone have a link?

3. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

Morey's game time reaction and how he copes with the pressure is eerily similar to that dude in moneyball. Is this similar for all GM's?

D-rock likes this.
  4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Morey doesn't watch the game.

He has @J.R. transcribe the play-by-play commentary and read to him out loud.

Then, @BimaThug crunches the numbers from the box score and if Rockets haven't taken a single midrange shot all game, then Morey celebrates by jumping into his bathtub full of queso and nachos.

Deuce, J.R., D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Jerry West is almost exactly the same. West used to throw up during playoff games and wanted to be alone where no one knew who he was or that there was even a basketball going on. Once the Lakers had control of a series or game he would sometimes creep down to the seats. Buss used to force him into the paying seats but a lot of times when it was tight and close in key games West was hiding and not in his seats.

There are others too. Riley has left the arena at key points of playoff games because he couldn’t compose himself.

Everyone talks about how smart Daryl Morey is, but the difference between him and someone like Wallace has more to do with just how bad Daryl wants it and cares.

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i remember logo always standing at the side of the players' exit with one hand on the wall peeking in at the game. and sophie tomjanovich always missing the 1st Q and then coming down to her seat only if things were going well :D

7. alethios

alethios Member

God, I hope there's better places in H-town to get burritos. Morey must hate the blood-soaked underwear.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah but from the players' standpoint, particularly our 2 stars, i'd prefer my GM having a quiet confidence that i'm going to come through and deliver. i guess knowing that he's somewhere pacing around full of doubt is not all that reassuring!

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt they care.