1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Football] FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa Final Draw (seedings)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SwoLy-D, Nov 19, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:cool: All teams for the 2010 World Cup to be held in South Africa in June of 2010 have qualified, with the last match earning Uruguay the distinction of being the last entry to the finals. The following 32 teams qualified for the 2010 FIFA World Cup:

AFC:Australia, Japan, Korea DPR, Korea Republic,
    CAF: Algeria, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa (hosts; automatic qualifier)
    CONCACAF: Honduras, Mexico, United States,
    CONMEBOL: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay
    OFC: New Zealand
    UEFA: Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland

SEEDING RULES, ETC:
    Eight teams are seeded (including the hosts, with the other teams selected using a formula based on both the FIFA World Rankings and performances in recent World Cups) and drawn to separate groups. The other teams are assigned to different "pots", usually based on geographical criteria, and teams in each pot are drawn at random to the eight groups. Since 1998, constraints have been applied to the draw to ensure that no group contains more than two European teams or more than one team from any other confederation. Previously, due to there being fewer finals places and a bigger ratio of European finalists, there had been several occasions where three European teams were in a single group, for example, 1986 (West Germany, Scotland, and Denmark), 1990 (Italy, Czechoslovakia, and Austria), and 1994 (Italy, Republic of Ireland, and Norway).

FINALS:
    Each group plays a round-robin tournament, guaranteeing that every team will play at least three matches. The last round of matches of each group is scheduled at the same time to preserve fairness among all four teams. The top two teams from each group advance to the knockout stage. Points are used to rank the teams within a group. Since 1994, three points have been awarded for a win, one for a draw and none for a loss (prior to this, winners received two points rather than three). If two or more teams end up with the same number of points, tiebreakers are used: first is goal difference, then total goals scored, then head-to-head results, and finally drawing of lots (i.e. determining team positions at random).
    The Final draw for the 2010 FIFA World Cup will be held on December 4th in Cape Town, South Africa.

Whom would you like to see in groups :confused: ? For now, the only known head of a group is South Africa (hosts) in A, to be playing the opening game.

I personally would like to have Mexico get another shot at playing the United States in the knockout stage for redemption. Shut up. :eek:

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My guess at seeds...

South Africa (automatic)
    Spain
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Italy
    Holland
    Germany
    Portugal or France

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still can't believe the handball Henry got away with against Ireland. I can't imagine being screwed out of such a meaningful game in such a fundamental way.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Whoever gets South Africa....

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i want to be paired with North Korea.

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

All I have to say is, Argentina vs. England 1986 World Cup ... the France vs Ireland game was just a qualification match.

As far as groups go, I would like to see France, USA, Serbia, and Korea DPR together. Would be a tough group, except for one team, Korea DPR, they are there for the sideshow.

My teams are: France, Spain (only because they are so damn good), Cameroon, Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, South Africa (love the aggressive flare African teams play with), and Brazil (because its Brazil, the New York Yankees of football, never boring)

7. SwoLy-D

:cool: Here is a lot more info, including BEST PERFORMANCEs, STREAKs, etc. :
    [​IMG]
    leroy, I think you will be wrong about Portugal or France (barely made it, not even winning their groups), so I will place Denmark in there because they may not be as popular but they are surely strong this time around. You will be right right about Spain, Germany, and Holland. How about Nigeria or Cameroon? Don't they deserve a shot?

Also, and I hope, this will be the second time CONCACAF gets a top seed - even though I don't think it will be something you like (Mexico again, like in '06).

If Argentina, who barely made it in, gets a top seed, then Mexico will. If Argentina does NOT get a top seed, the United States will. I think this will change the way they set up the pools: based on CURRENT WORLD standings in the football competitions, not "history in the cup." :eek: Argentina may have stunk it up during qualifiers, but they step it up in the finals.

My predictions: South Africa, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Mexico or Argentina or United States, Denmark.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Did the Czech Republic NOT qualify?

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

What happened to Russia? I thought they had a dominant team.

10. SwoLy-D

Yes, but they're in the special Styx group not shown to the rest of the world. :p

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

And which team would that be?

Don't sleep on North Korea. Although a long shot, I think they have a chance to pull an upset and get a win.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

oh, I was gonna say. I was in Prague during th last World Cup and I remember them doing well.

Anyway, I just read some story about how Ireland is pissed that Thierry Henry cheated for France, costing Ireland a birth

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Vindaloo, vindaloo
    Vindaloo, vindaloo, la-la
    We're gonna score one more than you
    England!

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Remember that it's based on current rankings and performance in the most recent Cups. France is #9 and Portugal is 10th (Croatia is the only top 10 team not to qualify). France was in the finals in 2006 and Portugal finished 4th. Current qualification has no bearing on the seeding, except for how it might affect the next rankings, due out tomorrow. If mexico and the US are considered, it would be a tough call between the 2, IMO. mexico has the better WC recent history while the US has the 2nd place Confed Cup finish and winning the CONCACAF Championship ( :p ).

15. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Algeria is gonna creep up on people mark my words, i wont be surprised if they pass the group stage

16. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i'm praying that south korea gets into the south africa group...

17. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Every WC host team has made it out of the group stage.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

USA.

just cause of politcal reasons.

19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Let's go Italy!

I hope Del Piero recovers quick so Lippi can install him in the lineup because we in dire need of offense, Luca Toni looks old and Iaquinta isn't cutting it.

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Found this interesting, Prime Ministers of Ireland asking FIFA to have a replay, while French Prime Minister telling them not to get involved. Talk about taking the game seriously...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8368100.stm

The Football Association of Ireland has lodged a complaint with Fifa asking for their World Cup play-off against France to be replayed.

Republic of Ireland were beaten 2-1 on aggregate after France won with goal scored when captain Thierry Henry handled the ball in the build-up.

Fifa insisted its disciplinary code says referees' decisions "are final".

And the situation took on a political aspect as the Irish and French prime ministers disagreed over the matter.

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen called on Fifa, football's world governing body, to order a replay, saying he would raise the issue with French President Nicolas Sarkozy at a Brussels summit.

Irish PM backs the FIA's replay appeal
    But France's Prime Minister Francois Fillon responded that the Irish government should not interfere in footballing decisions.

Republic manager Giovanni Trapattoni said he does not expect a replay.

"When a referee decides a game has finished I know it is impossible to replay the game," said the Italian.

"This situation has to give a chance to who is responsible to rethink. It can be repeated in the future and we have to stop it."

Fifa confirmed that it has received the letter from the FAI.

Trapattoni wants referee choice clarification
    In a statement, football's world governing body added: "As stated in Law 5 of the Laws of the Game, and also in Article 13, paragraph 6 of the Regulations of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, 'no protests may be made about the referee's decisions regarding facts connected with play. Such decisions are final, unless otherwise stipulated in the Fifa Disciplinary Code.'"

Trapattoni's side lost the first leg in Dublin 1-0 but were leading 1-0 in Paris before Henry handled the ball and squared for William Gallas to nod in a goal that sent France to the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa and left the Republic heartbroken.

It wasn't up to Henry to say 'I touched it with my hand'

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni
    "The handball was recognised by the Fifa commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself," read the FAI statement.

"There is precedent for the invalidation of such results. In 2005, the bureau of the Fifa World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a 'technical error by the referee of the match'.

"The Football Association of Ireland is hoping that Fifa and its disciplinary committee will, on behalf of football fans worldwide, act in a similar fashion so that the standards of fair play and integrity can be protected."

FAI chief executive John Delaney added that the organisation had also written to their French counterparts as he urged Fifa to back up their words over fair play with actions.

606: DEBATE
    We want fairness and integrity in our sport - there is less and less

neveratruerword
    "When you ask me is this clutching at straws, we have to do what we are doing," said Delaney. "We have to do it. It is up to the people who govern the game now, if they really believe in the principals of fair play then step forward.

"Every time I go to congress it is all about fair play and fair play ambassadors but well done is better than well said. They're words, I'd like to see actions.

"From the French FA point of view they need to look at themselves in this situation.

"Henry is their captain and a wonderful footballer but does he want to be like Diego Maradona and his legacy to be this handball, this goal that got them to the World Cup in an unjust manner?

"If we had qualified in this manner, I wouldn't be happy."

Referee Martin Hansson and his assistants failed to see Henry's offence and Trapattoni questioned the appointment of the officials, as well as Fifa's decision to seed the play-off draw at late notice.

The Fifa rankings had Ireland in 34th place, meaning France, Russia, Portugal and Greece were seeded for the two-legged play-off matches.

Henry prevented the ball going out of play with his hand
    The top four teams were then drawn to face Ireland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ukraine and Slovenia.

"All fans saw what happened on the pitch," said Trapattoni. "I would only like to say I would like Fifa to explain how they selected the referee for this important game.

"For this important game we needed a stronger referee - an important referee."

He added: "I would give the advice to Fifa - maybe in the future change the rules about the play-off. Play two games and at the end of 90 minutes have no extra-time.

"I will go to Fifa and advise them 'go straight to penalties'. It's better for football. I think there are mistakes in life - I've seen many situations in football but change the rules.

"All sports lose credibility with this situation - it affects the integrity of the game. For me, it's bitter. There are many questions - they changed the rules about the seeded teams, then us playing away last.

"There are many doubts that have to be eliminated. Out of the non-seeded teams we were the only ones to play the second game away - why?"

Trapattoni refused to blame Henry but believes this sort of situation could force Fifa into bringing in the type of video technology that many in the game say is needed.

"There is a 30-second stop and we clarify the situation," he said. "I'm sure in the future they will have to do something about it. It wasn't up to Henry to say 'I touched it with my hand.'"

Earlier, Republic of Ireland assistant manager Liam Brady said the team would be willing to replay their World Cup play-off match against France.

"We would go to Paris and play again," Brady told Radio 5 live.

"It will not come to that but we would be willing to go to Paris, on their home ground, and have a fair winner."