1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Food Science: When will we realize sugar is the root of all evil?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Dec 19, 2013.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you suggested we stop eating sugar. The title of the thread is 'sugar is the root of all evil' . Fruit has tons of sugar. So yes, you did suggest everyone stop eating fruit (which is scientifically accurate. fruit is bad for you.).

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Then you can edit my title to refined sugar humans have added into everything...

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No it's not. Even in moderation it artificially ups your insulin levels which causes your body to retain extra fat. Whats worse is that sugar is in damn near everthing you buy in some form or another. It's no wonder we are a nation full of diabetics and people with tons of kidney disease.

Having said that, this is the perfect place for some Ren and Stimpy fun!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_3NiL-d1UDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok first, some of you really need to work on your wording or use of terms.

If you don't get "Sugar" into your body you will probably die from a host of complications.

Carbs are "Sugar" and a diet void of carbs is BAD BAD BAD.

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

how do you propose people get their daily calories then? I think you mean simple sugars not jsut "sugars".

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!

7. tallanvor

completely false. for 99.9 percent of human existance, we have eaten little to no carbs. the idea that our body is dependent on them is ridiculous.

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

First, please site that information because no carbs is impossible.

But if we are going to go down your road...

We have also been incredibly deficient with micronutrients and had a life span that was a fraction of what it is now...whats your point?

Go substitute all of your carbs for protein and let me know what your renal function is after a year.

Or you could go and replace all your carbs for fat too, putting you in a state of metabolic acidosis due to all the ketone bodies you would be producing. Beta oxidation gives you a higher caloric yield, but it also comes at a price.

You are very wrong wrong wrong.

9. Classic

Classic Member

Here's something to consider in your hardline stance:

10. Nook

Nook Member

The issue is PROCESSED carbs such as bread.

We eat unprocessed carbs in moderation all the time.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. hooroo

hooroo Member

Even modern fruits have been cultivated for higher sugar content than just a few decades ago.

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Dude did you even understand the article you cited?

Its talking about the paradox associated with a diet high in fat, and is something that I have known and preached for a while. People associate a diet high in meat and fat with atherosclerotic plaques that contribute to heart disease. The truth is, that plaques like those are less likely to develop if there is little inflamation in your arteries which is caused by processed food.

First off, a diet void of fruits and veges does not = no carbs.

You get carbs from rice, grain, and other staples too numerous to count.

The article you cited also contradicts what you are saying but before I start on that:

1.) Inuits have lower rates of heart disease and cancer.

My sentiment: Yes I believe that to be true, our processed food and over the top carb diet contributes to it. So yay! They told us something that was on the lower end...but what about other diseases that come from eating a diet high in protein and fat? Live function and Renal function?

Inuit life span: 43.5 yrs, only 25% living past 60yrs with a high infant mortality rate (best indicator of a population's health)

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/07/mortality-and-lifespan-of-inuit.html

2.)Besides the fact that fruits and veges aren't the only way you get carbs...your article RECOMMENDS that you DO eat fruits and veges because you would be depriving yourself of essential micronutrients as I was saying in my earlier posts.

Eat a diet of moderate protein (make sure you are eating with fat and not going overboard, for most this is not an issue as even a high amount of 1g/lb of bodyweight is still usually 30% of total calories)

This is all from that article you cited.

Its no much a hard stance as it is basic medical knowledge...YOU NEED CARBS!!

Like a poster earlier was saying, the problem is processed carbs we eat today, not carbs in general.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Outlier, as I was doing more digging I came across some interesting things setting the record straight.

So what’s the deal with this report? Or more specifically, is the study flawed? I don’t know, but here’s what Dr. Fuhrman had to say about it:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-are-the-inuit-healthy.html

Do Inuits Really live Longer?

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

16. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

chemically speaking, sugar is the only substance of what your brain can function of off.

it's actually pretty crucial for life to exist

17. Classic

Classic Member

I read it. I was adding it for discussion.

There were some pros in the article regarding certain disease states and sugar.

There were obviously some cons.

I'm not advocating their diet but it does make an interesting case study.

Take their diet and throw in some leafy greens, some berries and fruit and I'm sure their life expectancy would take off.

Problem though with that society is what is their access to care? Is it so much diet or lack of advanced medicine and tougher climate that impacts their longevity as they get older?

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I think its a complex problem with a number of problems. A well balanced diet, exercise, good sleep, and little stress deff. help though.

19. tallanvor

Where would a caveman get carbs? A potato is the only possible thing and they would rarely be eating those. They could get a few carbs from nuts. Its not like they had processed flour.

Of course a no carb diet won't kill you. Lots of people do it right now.

Good grief man.

actually we were far healthy before we started eating carbs. We were taller, had almost 0 heart disease , and better teeth (ignoring the benefits of modern dentistry). This is the non-scientific reasoning for the whole paleolithic diet fad.

#59 tallanvor, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You are making one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read. As a medical student, I'm not going to say anything. Go back and look for sources of carbs.

And another thing

Hint*Hint*: The brain only functions on glucose. It can't utilize ketone bodies like the heart. Now if that is the only source of fuel for the brain, do you think carbs are important or that you could live without them?

Knowing that, let me know what you think.

I told myself I wouldn't comment on your caveman thing...but that was also too ignorant...so no heart disease...you think they had other problems? Yea. Renal/Liver and other problems associated with a diet low in carbs and high in protein.