1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fml mucinex dm MAXIMUM STRENGTH

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Jan 18, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think I've got cedar allergies attacking me right now so I take my generic claritin and my last mucinex dm on Friday night from one of those little 2 pill packs you would get at the convenience store. I didn't sleep great that night and my mind would not stop thinking when I was trying to sleep but I chalked it up to allergies and maybe some stress.

So I go to HEB and get more mucinex dm, but this time I get maximum strength.

Of course maximum strength! Who wants less than maximum??

Bad decision....

My dumb ass didn't bother checking to see the dosages. The maximum strength is twice as much as regular one that I took and I was already having side effects on the regular one and didn't realize it. I'm usually pretty careful with this stuff since I am sensitive to a lot of drugs. Good thing I decided to throw caution to the wind this time!:cool::cool:

I finally tried to go to sleep around 530 am and that was a complete mind ****. I thought I was going nuts after about 90 minutes. My mind would not stop jumping from one random idea to the next. If you want to torture someone just give them that experience. I truly thought I was losing my mind and going crazy and thinking I would never get deep sleep again for about 15 minutes or so. Like I was already contemplating what am I going to do with my life in my new debilitated condition. I felt like I was in the movie Requiem for a Dream. I guess it was the closest thing to a panic attack that I have ever had. I'm a pretty calm type of person normally.

I finally started calming down and decided to Google the side effects for muscinex dm and I was checking off all the common ones which happen 30% of the time from what I read. Luckily I wasn't haven't any of the less common side effects other than slight naseau and some dizziness.

Also I'm lucky I didn't take a second pill. I nearly did around 4am because I was a little out of it and I forgot when I took my first pill. It took me a bit to remember that I went to the grocery after I ate bbq at 930pm. I'd be totally ****ed up I had taken the second one.

I should be fine in a few hours now that I know what is wrong, but beware taking Mucinex dm MAXIMUM STRENGTH

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not sure what all the active ingredients are but when you see "DM" its dextramethorphan hydrobromide, and it can be psychoactive. It's the fun stuff in sizzurp, basically, or for the weirdos who overdose on cough syrup for fun (ahem, never met, um, any of them myself, but... I've heard of them.)

Very hard to sleep when you've had a lot of DM. A friend of mine once said that if LSD goes around an unlocks all the prison cells in your mind, then enough DM basically demolishes the entire prison.

It also could have been some sort of decongestant running away with you too. But those drugs usually say "daytime" or give you a sleep warning, in my... experience. (Cue hendrix, appropriately...)

1 person likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That stuff works wonders for me, to be honest.

Sometimes I get those bouts of insomnia randomly, and they're exactly like you described them. Happens once every two or three months I'd say.

Never had it with the Mucinex and I've taken it probably ten times in my life. I have chronic sinus issues.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The only time I think I tried it was after a doctor recommended it, and it dried my sinuses to a painful crisp so I never tried it again. He did suggest drinking it with a ton of water, though.

#6 Dr of Dunk, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought the fun stuff in sizzurp was the codeine/promethazine combo.

Just say NO, B-Bob!

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I used to robotrip when I was in high school. Legal drugs ftw!

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The thing is I have taken mucinex before and I didn't have these issues. Oh well....still awake....I've been reading thru this thread from the last page. It's got some good lols

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thr...at-is-never-NOT-funny-Pic/?pc=54657&page=2187

Maybe I'll try sleeping again in a bit.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I robotripped like a mother****er one night when I was tired of being congested and drank a whole bottle of Robitussin with my beer. I had an amazing animated experience with gnomes and plenty of sunshine (think Roger Rabbit). The whole thing was so real that in never questioned anything until I woke up on my futon I the dark just before the sun came up.

No hangover and I was protective so I can't say it was a bad experience.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

We would drink a bottle and go explore the Calder Killing fields... Never found the murderer but chased tons of ghosts.

12. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

mar1juana would of cured that feeling within seconds.

13. B-Bob

FDA approved! I've had straight DM before (no syrup) and it can get really crazy, disturbing crazy pending on your mood heading in. Not sure I recommend it.

I've come to think the whole point of putting it in gross syrup is so it's hard to take too large a dose.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you have any muscles (specifically jaw/cheek) tensing up? I had this happen and it was pretty much my gauge on how much of the drug was still in my system. As the tension faded I knew my body was slowly metabolizing it.

I'd get this same reaction when I took melatonin to try to sleep. I had to eventually stop taking the melatonin because even small quantities would give me this jaw tension. I've had issues with tmj and I didn't feel like jacking up my teeth and jaw again.

15. B-Bob

Interesting, but yeah, I was never sure if that effect was the DM or the guafesan (sp) -- that's the phlegm loosener. I know the guafesan (sp) can give you the "itchies" all over if you drink a whole bottle of syrup. It's like the stuff is trying to dry out your whole body. :eek:

But I definitely remember the jaw flexing stuff.

If you really want to kill a cold, I suggest a 1/3 bottle experience (say 3 ounces or so). Then, your symptoms get taken behind the wood shed, and you get just the mild trippy stuff, now that you know what to look for. :grin: