1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Flynn says Houston's 'definitely better for me'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jan 22, 2012.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I definitely hear you. I'm just stating the likeliest scenario given the current NBA landscape and the need to build a championship-contending team. Re-signing Dragic for his likely market value will hamper this team's ability to contend in the long-run.

Meanwhile, a future first round pick is an asset that gives the team much more flexibility. The Rockets can take another good young player with the pick, or the pick can be packaged to either acquire a very good player or to move up in the draft.

Don't get me wrong, if the Rockets think Dragic is the difference between a playoff appearance or another #14 pick--AND if they can't get decent value in return for him--then I think they keep him through this season and hold out hope that his market value is low enough for the Rockets to retain him longer term.

But getting a first round pick for Dragic would be keeping with Morey's strategy recently of keeping salaries under control while accumulating assets for trades/growth.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I doubt the Rockets can get much value out of Dragic since he's be a short-term rental and, frankly, he's not really that great. Maybe a late first round pick at best.

Of course, Shane Battier got traded for limited value while the team was fighting for a playoff spot (to MEM, who got the 8th spot thanks partly to Battier filling in for the injured Gay) and they might do the same again. However, I don't think that it was such a great deal for Houston. A playoff berth would have been worth more than a future pick and Thabeet. My guess would be that Les and Morey have some 2nd thoughts about the deal.

3. Red&BlackPudman

He's had injury problems. You haven't seen what he can do. Not enough playing time.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I should know better than to argue with Bima on this. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you were exactly right and that Morey will dump Dragic to maximize his chance at the home-run he's been looking for. He must be feeling some pressure to consummate that mythical deal soon.

Assuming he doesn't get the deal at the trade deadline, I think it's possible that he keeps Dragic around in hopes he'll be able to swing something and still be able to re-sign him in the end, knowing he can renounce the cap-hold if he has to. That's the approach he took on Chuck Hayes.

I vacillate on which is the better trade asset. A first rounder is easy currency to throw into a trade. And superstar trades usually involve several of them. But, an actual player (like Dragic) is a better guarantee of success for the receiving team, and has salary to make the dollars match up.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Houston Rockets point guard Jonny Flynn, making his first return to Target Center for tonight's game against the Timberwolves, said he was disappointed with fan criticism when he was with Minnesota last season and the speculation about Ricky Rubio joining the team.

"I let that (the Rubio talk) get to me too much," Flynn said. "Everybody was always talking about Ricky coming here. My two years here was like five years to me. What I went through taught me a lot about life."

Flynn didn't fare well in then-coach Kurt Rambis' triangle offense, raising doubts about his future with the team and frustrating Timberwolves fans. Flynn said he "tried to stay a professional" about the situation.

"I remember all of that," Flynn said of the criticism. "It felt like we were playing 82 road games last year when your own crowd was on you. What did I do to deserve that? I never spoke bad about Minnesota or the organization."
    Flynn said he's "at peace" with the Rockets (9-7), who enter tonight's game against the Timberwolves (7-9) with a six-game winning streak. Former Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale will face his former team for the first time as Rockets coach.

Flynn, who said his hip is "100-percent healthy," has appeared in only five games with the Rockets and has not played since Jan. 7 against the Oklahoma City Thunder. Flynn, averaging 3.6 points and 3.4 assists, is in a rotation at point guard behind veterans Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic.

Flynn's best game with the Rockets was Jan. 6 against Oklahoma City when he had seven points, six assists and one steal in a season-high 20 minutes.

"I'm just staying ready and waiting for my opportunity," Flynn said. "I feel much more positive about my situation."[/rquoter]

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

he would get pt on the Lakers.

7. Red&BlackPudman

He would start on the Lakers.

8. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

We can afford to keep Dragic. I doubt he'll make as much money as Thabeet is making.

9. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

Sucks?

Flynn is more better than an average backup PG.

Carreer stats:

M 24:23 FG 3.7 9.1 40.3 3PG 0.8 2.3 34.1 FT 1.9 2.3 81.3 R 0.3 1.7 2.0 A 4.0 T O2.5 St 0.9 0.0 1.2 Pts 10.0 .

This guy does not suck. But whatever?

10. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Oh, we can meme this ;)