1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flynn says Houston's 'definitely better for me'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They have so much confidence that it took them forever to waive Jeremy Lin.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It took the Rockets forever to waive Lin because they had not yet finalized the Dalembert signing!

Also, given that teams were known to have interest in Lin (the Knicks claimed him off waivers), perhaps Morey was trying to see if he could coax a team into giving up a future second round pick for the privilege of getting Lin.

Come on, man. You're better than this.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

GoDrag is prime fodder for asset building.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is just hard to see what value Flynn has by his (limited) minutes on the court. He must be a different guy at practices.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don't see Dragic winning the "lottery". He may do OK, but he won't get Lowry money.

Flynn, meanwhile, would do well to resign a one-year deal if he has legit shot at b/u and establish a value going forward.

It will be fun to see who goes by 3/15 as Howard seems likely to not, Pierce not, but KG? Will Beasley be the beast of the tradees? If so then GoDrag may not be traded until late June???

6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

This. Flynn seems so nice and I desperately want him to do well, but unless he’s playing infinitely better in practice than he’s showing in games, I think McHale is talking him up a bit.

The most important thing for a point guard is good decision-making, which is the root of all of Flynn’s problems. Poor ability to make the right pass, poor shot selection, terrible turnover ratio…

It just seems really unlikely to me that he's in the Rockets' future plans. There's a reason why Morey shopped him right after he acquired him on draft night.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You know it IS actually possible for him to be in the Rockets future plans, and at the same time being shopped around!

We probably have between 0 and 3 guys who are "untouchable" and long term part of our plans. Flynn would definitely not be one of them - but is he part of the future plan? Sure - summer 2012 he is the 'insurance' for Dragic. Flynn has 'some' talent, and has been with the team a year, if Dragic wants to take big bucks elsewhere he can - and Flynn becomes the backup.

But if Flynn can be part of a package to bring a better player to Houston - then he's gone.

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Flynn is a much better player than what CF gives him credit for...considering most are judging him off a few preseason games and some garbage time.

He was/is rusty, not upto his normal level of explosiveness, and still very young (he's only really played one year, as last year he was less than 50%).

I don't think Houston is the place for Jonny, but he's a good guy who has quite a bit of talent. He just needs to find his groove back, and an opportunity elsewhere.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

With Dragic hitting free agency this summer, the last chance to trade him is the March 15 trade deadline.

Also, please don't use the name "GoDrag" anymore. That nickname needs to be shot in the face and buried in an unmarked grave.

10. hahachui

hahachui Member

flynn is not that bad...in terms of 3rd pg

which team has better 3rd pg than us?

11. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

for many BAD teams. he is not a starter on a contending team, he is like a sixth or seventh man on a championship team.

12. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

considering how much we play kLow7 (this is the first time i typed out this nickname, I DON'T LIKE IT) and dragic, it doesn't matter who our 3rd PG is, because whoever it is, will never get minutes. and whatever minutes they get, will be at the end of blowouts.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

His agent probaly told him don't burn bridges because he knows that Dragic, or Lowry won't last this season. The Rockets want to be that super team, in order to do it, sadly Dragic or Lowry will have to be moved to get super stud. I don't think it is McHale's idea to have 3 PGs, he probaly prefer another big men. In 2012-13, Flynn, Dragic, or Lowry won't be with the Rockets.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Valid point on the former; the latter reference to a Super Bowl Day website's ads had no Saint to its Patrick?

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A 6th or 7th man on a champ team trumps starter on chump team.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What does a picture of Yao ming have to do with this? And damn he looks skinny. :confused:

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not so sure the Rockets would let Dragic walk if they don't trade him midseason. I think he's an important cog. Flynn might or might not be able to pick up that slack and I don't think you take the gamble if you can avoid it.

But, he does seem like a sensible piece to include in whatever blockbuster trade Morey next cooks up. So, I still expect him to be traded, but only because Morey needs a new franchise player, not primarily because he's afraid of Dragic's free agency.

I don't really like Flynn's comments blaming Rambis' offensive scheme for his underperformance. Sure, some offenses will help a player excel more than other offenses, but a good player should be satisfactorily productive in any situation. He needs to take a little more ownership of his performance.

1 person likes this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Flynn is simply just trying to do too much. Behind all the bone headed plays, the stupid turnovers, and the horribly inaccurate shots he jacks up... there is a decent player somewhere....

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You're right, it's possible that the Rockets hold on to Dragic . . . if they don't like what they can get for him on the trade market. They ARE trying to make the playoffs, so the threat of losing Dragic in free agency might be more than counter-balanced by him being able to help this team get into the postseason.

Knowing the Rockets' philosophy on salary cap management, though, I think they will definitely at least look at moving Dragic. They cannot have too many players on their roster making even "fair market value" if they want to compete long-term. They need to lock guys in to below-market deals. Fortunately, the offer sheet for Lowry ended up being a bargain. Even Scola's contract (reasonably fair market value for him in 2010) looks less than attractive in the last two years of the deal.

If Morey can get a first rounder for Dragic (not likely, and it would be heavily protected if he could get one), I think he pulls the trigger and lets McHale go with Flynn for the home stretch. Given McHale's comments on Flynn, it doesn't sound like such a move would cause nearly the friction that the Brooks and Battier trades caused between Morey and Adelman.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it would be quite a disappointment if he's traded for a draft pick. How long can we go swapping promising young players for the rights to draft another teenager who may or may not pan out? We have a guy we know can play right now. Find a way to cement the addition with a new contract or a trade for a comparably skilled player, not a gamble on a mid-first-rounder. I don't want to be the vintage Clippers, the turnstyle for rookie contracts.