1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Talks about Potential Fight with Manny Pacquaio

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ParaSolid, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Wow. You're falling for the hype. I have no problem with his style but you're actually falling for the 40-0 hype. Unbelievable.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Pacquiaos-PPV-numbers-add-to-apf-3769345022.html?x=0&.v=1

The official numbers are in and Pacquaio outsold Mayweather with this last fight 1.25 mill to 1.05 ppv buys, w/ more expensive ppv prices too. The take home was bigger than the guarantees for both fighters. There's no legit reason for the Mayweather Pacquaio fight not to happen other than Mayweather fronting as being greedy while actually trying to duck another losable fight.

interview link:
    http://fighthype.com/pages/content5662.html

history of ducking:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/09/17/mayweather-marquez/index.html

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

MadMax, since Mayweather's last 13 bouts, 8 have gone the distance on "unanimous" decision. Since PacMan's last 13: 4.

:p So powerful is he.
    Illegal defense, 8-second half-court violation, fouls, 24-second shot clock, the other team SUCKING, change of possession... those are all reasons why your analogy is... sort of... BAD. :eek:

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No it's not. You want the guy to do something that is detrimental to his chances of winning.

4. SwoLy-D

^ so... do you agree with me? Should we put a rule in there that says that the guy who is winning in the judge's cards cannot backpedal more than 2 minutes per round, or something? Would that be fair to you? :confused:

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

that makes sense but there's another scenario that you're missing. Floyd's fights were like Orlando Magic playing against the Nets today.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're looking for something other than boxing, swoly. stick to UFC.

7. SwoLy-D

:( Dang. And I don't even know too many UFC peeps.

Ok. :~(

Haha... ^ that looks like I have boogies :grin:

8. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I say agree to the 50/50 split.. winner gets 10% more.. and no bull**** catchweight crap that Roach likes to pull. Pac is a welterweight now..so fight at 147.

that history of ducking article is the most half assed thing I have ever read about Floyd ducking opponents. The only fighter they even mentioned was Margarito. They mentioned Mosley but Shane ducked Mayweather twice.

and what the hell is the "40-0 hype"?? so a professional boxer going 40-0 is bs?

going 40-0 in ANY sport is an amazing accomplishment. sounds like you are just a Floyd hater.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Read my posts. I think Floyd is great, but 40-0 is overrated. That's my point. Floyd would be viewed as a more accomplished boxer by some (including me) if he was 50-5 and fought everyone. Going through post history, you come off as a much bigger Floyed lover. I have no hate for his fighting style nor his demeanor. My consistent view is that he overrates 40-0 and has fought matchups due to his overrating how important being undefeated is. He needs to get that out of his head because I would argue that he would have made more fame and money with a different strategy: fight everyone. It's okay to lose. That was a big part of the RA's argument. Being undefeated is not the best criteria for determining the greatest fighters.

Now, here's a clear example of me not being a hater. In the interview Floyd says straight up, "without me, boxing is dead". Easy statement to attack his arrogance there. Easy to hate and completely justifiable. I laugh at it as funny. He's either delusional or playing a game, and I'm fine with either.

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

you nailed it.

julio ceasar chavez jr is also unbeaten and he hasmore wins than floyd. is he great? HELL NO!

11. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

link

Pacquiao-Mayweather bout closer

The proposed super fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is getting closer.

Mayweather agreed to terms for the welterweight title bout on Tuesday, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The proposed date is March 13, although there is a chance it could move to May 1, sources said. Mayweather, according to a source close to him, is OK with either date.

Pacquiao and Mayweather have fought recent bouts at catch weights. However if they complete their deal, the bout would be contested at 147 pounds, the maximum for a welterweight fight, a source said.

Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs), was flying to the Philippines on Tuesday night to meet with Pacquiao and try to close his side of the deal.

Arum spent much of Tuesday getting open issues resolved in his negotiations with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather, sources said. Once Arum was able to do that, he left for the Philippines and is expected back on Monday.

If the HBO PPV fight happens on March 13, it would force the tentative HBO PPV fight between light heavyweights Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins to move to another date. Hopkins and Jones both fight Wednesday and must win for their fight to go through.

The site for Pacquiao-Mayweather remains up in the air. There is interest from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to bring the fight to his new stadium. There is also interest from venues in Las Vegas, including the MGM Grand (which has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather fights), and the Superdome in New Orleans in hosting a fight many believe will break the all-time record for pay-per-view buys, which is the 2.44 million units sold for Mayweather's 2007 split decision victory against Oscar De La Hoya.

The fight moved front and center with heavy public demand for it following Pacquiao's dominant 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto to win a welterweight title on Nov. 14. The victory gave Pacquiao a title in a record-breaking seventh weight division and 1.25 million pay-per-view units.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs), who has won titles in five divisions, came out of a brief retirement in September to dominate Juan Manuel Marquez in a fight that generated 1.05 million buys.

Just a few days after Pacquiao's win over Cotto, Arum and Schaefer began negotiations.

One wrench in the talks was the date. Arum, Schaefer and HBO wanted to slot the fight on May 1. However, Pacquiao announced his candidacy for a congressional seat in the Philippines on Tuesday. With the election scheduled for May 10, it rules out a May 1 fight unless Pacquiao runs unopposed. Pacquiao lost the election for a congressional seat in 2007.

If Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't finalized, Arum has talked about matching Pacquiao with junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman, which would give Pacquiao an opportunity to win a title in an eighth division. Foreman defeated Daniel Santos to win a 154-pound belt on the Pacquiao-Cotto undercard.

Schaefer has talked about bringing Mayweather to England to match him with Matthew Hatton in the event Pacquiao-Mayweather isn't made. Hatton is the brother of Ricky Hatton, the former junior welterweight and welterweight titlist whom Mayweather knocked out in 2007.

12. Fatty FatBastard

Typical lightweight/welterweight/whateverweight fight:

<object width="464" height="384" id="1481478" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" alt="Cat Boxing Funny Videos"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/MTQ4MTQ3OA=="></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/MTQ4MTQ3OA==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="384"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/cat-boxing.html">Cat Boxing</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">Funny Videos</a></font>

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C25Imd11D9k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C25Imd11D9k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. Asian Sensation

Please please pleaaaaaaaaaaase pleasssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee let this fight happen. Pretty please?!

15. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

It won't happen on March 13th... I say it happens May 1st. But it WILL happen.

Pacquiao needs to stop making excuses..and fight Floyd... :p

16. bloop

bloop Member

dont worry there's no way this fight doesn't happen

it's gonna happen and it's going to be bigger than next year's NBA finals

17. VanityHalfBlack

I think Freddie Roach and Mayweather should fight each other.. They seem like the only ones that are interested in it...

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

So what do the haters say about Money ducking fights when he agrees to fight "Ali"??

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just saw the fight might happen in Cowboy stadium!

I'll start saving my money now! This will be our generations, "Thilla in Manila" with a fighter from Manila.

20. VanityHalfBlack

OMG, I'm so gonna be there... Won't happen again during our generation, that's for sure...