1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Talks about Potential Fight with Manny Pacquaio

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ParaSolid, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

But his strategy has tipped. After the sells get released on Wednesday, Money might not be the biggest seller anymore, and he has turned down more money in the past to protect his record. So I'm saying that his "Money" moniker won't apply anymore unless you add "pu$$y" before it.

And he didn't just care about who gets paid the most. He still claimed to the radio guys that he is the best. Sure it's about money, but he continual uses his "undefeated" record as evidence as to him being the best, and the radio guys kept countering that he's not in that class anymore because he's been ducking fights for years whereas the best don't do that. His undefeated record doesn't hold water if it's accompanied by a career of ducking fights.

And Floyd saying he has nothing to gain with a fight against PacMan is just him being disingenuous or delusional. Pac Man is the bigger draw (we'll see Wednesday for sure) and "Money" cannot make more money against any other fighter. Sure he can make some money selectively fighting and not risking much, but my original point is that he's used up all his mojo in that department. If he chooses to avoid Pac, Money's stature will go down, his views will go down, and legacy will go down, and his opportunity to make the most money will be gone.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'd absolutely love to see Pac Man beat the living s*** out of Mayweather in person.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He can pay off his bills if he fights Pac
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/sep/14/bank-floyd-mayweather-jr-owes-167192-default-auto-/

Bank: Floyd Mayweather Jr. owes $167,192 on car loan in default

JP Morgan Chase Bank filed suit in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas on Wednesday against Mayweather, claiming he owes more than $167,000 on an auto loan that is in default.

The suit shows that in April 2007, Mayweather borrowed $415,695 to finance the purchase for $512,184 of a Mercedes Maybach 57S from dealer Fletcher Jones Imports in Las Vegas.

The contract called for an interest rate of 16 percent and 72 monthly payments of $9,077, which the lawsuit said Mayweather failed to make beginning in February 2008.

Court records indicate the bank repossessed the vehicle in January 2009, when the past-due balance had grown to $36,309 and the balance due was $363,000.

After the bank sold the Maybach for $196,000, JP Morgan Chase said that as of March, Mayweather still owed $167,192 on the contract, plus unspecified legal expenses.

Messages seeking comment on the lawsuit were left Monday with Mayweather's office and with his attorney in an unrelated case.

4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Yep. Used to hate that in my college days, but now that I'm all grown up (ha, yeah right), it's not so big of a deal. Now I have a kid...Vegas is a distant memory...sniff sniff.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I wish I still lived in Texas .. Would love to watch this fight though it seems like many of the people at the stadium would end up having to watch the fight on the big screen because I can't imagine you could see a fight real great from the top of the stadium.

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I thought I heard he owes some money in back taxes too? I could be mistaken, but it was in the millions.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I think I heard that too. He's not smart with money. you figure with the money he makes he could just buy a car without getting a loan!

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Won't happen. Floyd is going to make Manny look really bad. Manny is there to be hit. Just look at the Morales/Pacquiao trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Manny's, but he can't beat Floyd. The guy with the best chance of beating Floyd is Paul Williams, and Floyd will never fight him. The Shane that showed up for the Margs fight would have a chance too, but you don't know which version you're getting. The one that fought Mayorga was dreadful

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think it could too. Honestly, I'd like to see them fight at the Araneta Coliseum in the Philippines. Same venue at the original Thrilla in Manilla. I want to see "Thrilla in Manilla 2: The Remix". Hell, mine as well make it a 15 rounder also!

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Manny will get hit, but will he get hurt? Manny ate his share of punches from Cotto and kept on dishing. Floyd isn't exactly the most powerful puncher out there. I wonder if Manny will just fight him the way Magarito fought Cotto.

11. Prince

Prince Member

it's different when you get hit and you don't know where it came from. that's why mayweather can hurt manny.

12. King1

Morales hurt him multiple times. Even Cotto stopped him in his tracks in the 8th or 9th (can't remember). Cotto was so gone that he didn't even notice it. Manny also did a great job of disguising it by coming forward as well. Floyd is stronger then people think. If Manny fights him the same way Margarito fought Cotto, he's going to sleep within 6 rounds. Manny will use angles and go in and out. That's the best strategy for him.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

and he financed it for 72 months at 16%. Wow!!! Ghetto!!!!

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It doesn't matter if he hurts manny. he just needs to hit him a few times and then dance around.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Let me put it this way, and I'm sure this is the way Mayweather sees it.

$$ Mayweather makes as an undefeated champion > $$ Mayweather makes as the guy who finally got beat by a great fighter after dodging them for so long.

All this talk about being the best is great marketing whether he truly believes it or not. He doesn't really care about bragging rights or legacy he wants to maximize his profit with minimal risk. IF he beats Pacquaio he makes a huge amount of money that fight but it won't affect his money after that, he's been doing well this whole time. IF he loses people don't want to see him anymore. Ultimately, he doesn't care if people think he's a "pu$$y" until it starts affecting his bottom line. That's when you'll see Mayweather fight anyone and everyone, when no one cares about him.

16. Asian Sensation

Yet he makes it rain with 100 dolla bills at the club. :confused: :rolleyes:

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Is mayweather going to be fighting much longer? I mean the guy was retired, this fight will give him the money he wants without having to fight other guys that won't draw nearly as much.

18. VanityHalfBlack

You mean Margarito who got his ass whooped by Mosley or Cotto who just got pissed in the face with cuts,blood and bruises against the Pacman.. Aint nobody putting Pacman to sleep the way he's been beating up his opponent.. Floyd is gonna look like Floyd Sr. after he fights Pacman... I love both fighters but everyone wants to see Floyd get his ass handed to him.. I thought that was the American way..

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think $$$ cares a lot about what people think of him. Maybe too much. Why else would he get in an argument on the radio with some underground rapper? This nobody was able to get under his skin.

20. King1

You didn't follow the conversation. The poster I responded to suggested that Manny fight Floyd like Margarito fought Cotto. I said that wouldn't be a good game plan.

Well have to agree to disagree on the fight. I think Floyd will beat him easily and if Manny gets stupid he will get stopped. I like Floyd. Everything he does in the media is an act. He's a cool dude in person. So is Manny.