1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Talks about Potential Fight with Manny Pacquaio

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ParaSolid, Nov 16, 2009.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Yeah, five years ago.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

After hearing a Bob Arum interview I see why Floyd don't want to do business with him. If you can get Bob Arum out the picture you will have this fight.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Floyd has done a genious job of selling himself as the villian. A lot of yall either like me appreiciate his overall boxing skills or yall hate his arrogance (which I love because it has made him more marketable). If this fight happens I will do by any means nessecary to see it.

4. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Yeah Floyd wanting a 65-35 split has nothing to do with it

5. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

i don't think Floyd is intentionally selling himself as a "villain." Somehow Mayweather and the word "genius" doesn't seem to quite go together.

6. T-man

T-man Member

except fpr the fact Floyd is a defensive counter puncher. Going forward has nothing to do with who is winning the fight or better fighter. Floyd picks Pac apart pretty easy in a boring fight, other than pac throwing flurries of punches with crowd screaming that hit nothing but Floyds arms and gloves.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they were saying on the Radio that this fight could sell out Yankee stadium or Cowboys stadium.

8. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

So if Manny adopts a defensive approach and dances around the ring, will FM suddenly go on the offensive???

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Wow, that radio interview was the first time I've ever heard any interviewer throw the smack down directly to Mayweather. There was no political correctness and he basically called him a pu$$y on the air with Mayweather trying to argue, but sounding like an idiot.

If Pacquaio outsells Mayweather on PPV buys, even with a higher price per purchase, then Mayweather will no longer have a leg to stand on. Pacquaio will be the biggest seller, he will have fought the tougher fights, and will be considered the best current P4P w/Mayweather disgracing himself and forever tarnish his legacy with his fight selection.

I have no problem with his fighting style nor do I care if he promotes a trash-talking bad boy image. The fact is he ducks fights against the best and has even turned down more money so that he could fight better match ups. His business decisions and his overvaluing of his perfect record have reached a tipping point to where it's now doing more harm than good.

10. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Basically Roy Jones's his fights

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Why does everyone get on Floyd for his defensive style? To hit and not be hit is the sweet science of boxing. Most folks don't like watching defense so it won't wow many people. Anyways, it should be a classic fight. Floyd is going to run his mouth like always and Pac will let his fist do the talking. I'd like to see MMA put on a match with that caliber. Hell, I'd like to see MMA have a guy like Manny Pacman that climbs through weight divisions while destroying fighter after fighter and silencing each critic along the way. :cool:

12. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Yea i'm a UFC fan and it's more popular than boxing right now but they've still got nothing on a Pacman/Mayweather fight

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is a "genius" in the boxing ring. He is one of three smartest fighters in the sport today.

14. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

hes scared to fight manny and wants extra money because of the extra risk.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

People still don't get it, Mayweather couldn't care less about his legacy. There's a reason they call him "Money" Mayweather, it's all a business to him. He can continue making huge sums of money (while billing himself as undefeated) or he can take a chance on fighting someone who could beat him. His argument is valid. He makes money without fighting the guys that people think can beat him. That's why he kept stressing to the guy on the radio that he didn't know how boxing works, it's not always the best fighter who gets paid the most.

When Mayweather is old and washed up he'll fight anybody but for now he sees it as a business risk he doesn't need to take.

16. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/111709dnspoboxing.3355bd5.html

Cowboys Stadium in running to host Pacquiao-Mayweather

08:30 PM CST on Monday, November 16, 2009
    By CARLOS NAVA / Al Dia
    cnava@aldiatx.com
    Cowboys Stadium remains a strong candidate for a possible bout between boxers Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr., Top Rank Promotions confirmed.

Lee Samuels, public relations director for Top Rank, which represents Pacquiao, said Monday that negotiations with Golden Boy Promotions, Mayweather's promoter, could begin this week and that the tentative fight date is March 13.

Pacquiao defeated Miguel Cotto via 12th-round TKO on Saturday in Las Vegas to win the World Boxing Organization's welterweight championship – the seventh title of his career. Top Rank vice president Bruce Trampler previously told Al Dia that Cowboys Stadium would be a strong candidate for a Mayweather fight if Pacquiao defeated Cotto.

Samuels said Yankee Stadium in New York and Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas also are among the facilities interested in the fight, which is expected to be the biggest-drawing bout in history.

Cowboys Stadium could have an edge on other stadium candidates because its retractable roof protects against the elements.

"Everybody has been blown away by that facility," Top Rank president Bob Arum told ESPN. "The Cowboys have eight to 10 games, and they want events there. Jerry [Jones, the Cowboys' owner] has a big investment and, with the video board and the closed roof, it would be a nice event."

Even if the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight doesn't happen, Pacquiao could meet another opponent in Arlington, possibly Mexico's Juan Manuel Márquez, who once fought Pacquiao to a draw.

Dallas boxer Roberto Marroquin said Top Rank told him last week that if he wins his next fight in January, he would be on the Pacquiao undercard at Cowboys Stadium.

Marroquin (11-0, 8 KO's) beat Anthony Napunyi in Las Vegas last Friday.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

After Pacquaio's last fight and Mayweather's I would think Pacquaio is the main draw for the fight. Mayweather was very very impressive in his fight, but as many mention here, his style is not the most exciting to watch.

I believe it was even mentioned on the PPV broadcast that Manny has earned the right to a 50:50 split if it were proposed.

If he is all about the money, then this fight might not happen. If he does care about his ego (being accused of ducking) and/or about his legacy, then you can only assume it will happen as the next fight for both of them.

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

One of the sports stations was talking about this yesterday. They commented, and I agree with them, that even though they can only set 20 thousand or so in Vegas, the atmosphere, and having all those people there to stay at and gamble/whatever in Vegas makes whoever (MGM people I assume) want to pay whatever it takes to get the fight knowing how big this one will be.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if this is at Cowboy Stadium, I'd be looking for tickets.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you been to Vegas on a fight night? the table minimums jump from $10 to $25