1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Florida Today] Magic GM frustrated with his team's play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Feb 14, 2005.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Man, I am so glad Weisbrod became the Orlando GM last year. You'd have to wonder if any competent GM would piss off T-Mac enough for him to demand a trade, then having to settle for the Rockets' package for him. There's a reason why every other GM in the league thought the Rockets absolutely raped Orlando in the trade.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"This just in, huh?" - Weisass

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Trading Mobes was straight up dumb.

As happy as I am that it made Weisbrod's team worse, it sucks because he tossed a great player to the Kings.

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Nice.

5. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i know this has nothing to do with the thread and i apologize up front, but...

please stop using the word "rape." i believe i wrote previously in another thread about how that word offends me b/c my best friend was raped at gun point a few years ago. be sensitive please. someone else here might be affected by this first hand.

:(

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Some of you guys act like Weisbrod broke up a 50 win team. Orlando is right back where they were the past couple of seasons after getting rid of a top 5 player who didn't want to be there. I think the use of the term rape is a little overboard.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Which is to say, the difference between Francis and McGrady is the sum of a healthy Grant Hill and the #1 pick in the draft.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A Grant Hill who is 32 and hasn't played in 4 seasons. Let's not act like this is the same Grant Hill who was an MVP candidate in his prime. And an 18 year old draft pick who hasn't come close to finding his offensive game in the NBA.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, he's the only player on his team to make the All-Star squad.

What's not to like about over 18 points a game and shooting over 50%, the best percentage of his career? He's played more games before the All-Star break this year with Francis than he has for 3 seasons with McGrady in Orlando. He's had a very big impact on that team.

He's shooting 50% ... was this a knock on Howard or Francis? 10.5 points is pretty good for an 18-year old, but 10 boards and 1.6 blocks at that age is exceptional.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My point is people throw out the fact that Hill is playing like he is the same player he was 7 seasons ago. Yes, its nice to have Grant Hill on your team, but it isn't the same Grant Hill who used to score 22 with 7 boards and 7 assists.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That Magic team that used to make the playoffs a few years ago wasn't just Tracy - Mike Miller was a very good compliment to McGrady, and Darrell Armstrong was a solid PG.

Maybe Francis = McGrady - (Hill + Howard) + (Miller + Armstrong) * Pi.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Make it 4 seasons. He didn't play at all last year.

pgabriel- Hill may not be the player he used to be, but he is averaging more points than Yao Ming, and is certainly more than TMac ever had, let alone Turkey-glue and Howard.

Edit: The only #2 scorers averaging more than Hill are: Shaq, Jamison, Marion, Lewis, and Peja/Bibby.

#32 NIKEstrad, Feb 15, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's more like francis + hill + howard - cuttino - tmac = about 23 or 24 extra wins.

14. choujie

choujie Member

They started losing before Cat was traded. In fatc that's a major reason for the trade.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With all the talk of lack of discipline and uncontrolled emotion, it sounds like Weisbrod is calling out the coach more than anything else.

This all makes me very happy.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

he should. no one makes any effort on defense. it's not like francis is draggin the team defense down. pretty much everyone plays at his level of caring on defense. it's amazing. i suppose howard cares but sometimes just doesn't know what to do. and i guess christie cares, but when you're shooting like him, you pretty much have to care.

if they fire davis, i don't think they'll be losing much. just don't bring in someone like jvg to stifle francis (unless they're looking for a repeat of his season last year) and they should be ok. flip doesn't seem like the stifling kind and the wolves had had good defenses before.

17. rocket3forlife2

I watch every orlando game and this is what I have noticed:

1. I agree they are a worse team after the trade.

2.Yes, They got on a lil losing streak, but they panic too quickly and there offense has took a major hit because of the trade.

3.Grant hill is not the best player on that team.He is the best shooter, but in crunch times and in the 4th quater he turns into a diffrent type of player.He turns the ball over, starts to miss freethrows, and startes to miss big shots.

4.francis is the only one that can break the defense down on that team and create shots for his teammates.

5.In crunch time this year steve has been unstopable.He is able to get to the rim anytime he want.

6.Francis tries to help his big alittle bit too much to get the rebound and he does commit turnovers just like he did in houston.

7.This years mvp on orlando team is not grant hill it is by far steve not even close..

8. Francis can run a fast break.He has leared to get the ball up the court and when lea teammates a chance to make a play. grant is at the end of thoding the break he goes to the middle of the lane to give hises passes because he runs the floor very well.

9.Hedo is really good on offense his defense sucks though.

10.Cat could get hot some nights and go for 20+ and sometimes 30 christie can't and will never be able too.

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Francis doesn't pass Dwight the ball!

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sorry about that. I will refrain from using it in the future. It's kind of funny that the first alternative I thought of was the word "kill"...

I don't see why record has anything to do with it. When you make a trade, you're trading players. The Lakers record this year will end up being significantly worse than last year. But that shouldn't mean the Lakers are better off trading Kobe this year than last year.

The fact that Orlando had a terrible season doesn't take away from the fact that T-Mac is one of the best players in basketball, at only the age of 25. His age is ridiculously important because the guy's in the prime of his career. Players of T-Mac's caliber are so rare you just can't afford not to get a superstar in return on any trade. Heck, Yao isn't even a superstar yet(in terms of playing ability), and even Yao detractors wouldn't trade him for less than stud star player. The fact that we could get him for a borderline all-star, an underachieving center(still underachieving), and an average SG still baffles me. And this isn't even accounting for Juwan Howard, who has finally turned things around after having trouble adjusting at first.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I cant understand what Weisbrod is doing at all. The deals he has made have been horrible for the franchise. sorry but I still think the francis/tmac trade was lopsided for the rockets. very few players in this league have that "something" that tracy does and it usually takes a superstar to get him. francis while an amazing talent will never be at that level. to top it he goes and trades mobley who was a major contributer in the season for an aging christie with a bad contract. i am sure the maloof brothers in sac town are laughing their butts off. if it wasnt for grant hill and howard this team would have been in real trouble. francis,hill and howard are keeping this team in the playoff hunt but they have come crashing down after a very fast start. since weisbrod is saying anyone is pretty much tradeable (except howard I would imagine) i am sure other gms will be calling him 24/7 to screw him again

i feel for stevie but god i cant help but smile at weisbrod getting screwed over after all the unclassy statements he made at the begining of the season