1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Florida Night Club Shooting - at least 20 dead - impact on US elections?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Will this shooting help Trump or Clinton, if it turns out that it was religiously motivated terror?

1. It will help Trump

51.0%
  2. It will help Clinton

7.3%
  3. It will help neither of them

41.7%
  1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

A terrorist act that happened to hit a group that receives the highest amount of hate crimes per capita in Florida.

A crime deliberately designed to kill as many LGBT as possible.

We don't know that much about his interpretation of the Quran (beyond assuming it is perverted), but we do know one thing: his father said it was looking at two men kissing that angered him.

You can call it whatever the hell you want. I'm calling a spade a spade. This is what happens when you let homophobia become violence. This is what happens when you don't question homophobia.

Neuter all versions of irrational animus. Start with radical interpretations of Islam, but don't finish there. It is not a problem isolated in Islam.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If you look at the OP of this thread, homophobia has been on the way down in the United States, quite significantly.

You know which followers of which religious ideology are overwhelmingly (more than 90 %) homophobic?

So what happens if the percentage of followers of that religion goes up in a country, relative to the rest of the population?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I personally believe it is. You could pervert Christianity in the exact same way....and it's been done before. The problem is that the "Westboro Baptist" wing of Islam is dominant right now and that REALLY needs to change.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Have any churches come out with sympathetic statements?

Catholic, Jewish, Islamic, Christian?

DD

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Irrational Animus... my new punk band name

Here's the album cover:
    [​IMG]

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Trump finna win y'all.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah this time the terrorist attack hit a gay club.....so that means you think it's different somehow? The club that the terrorsts hit in France was a club with a metal band.....does that mean we need to make acts against metalheads a hate crime now too? Would that help anything?

I get that for whatever reason you want to push an agenda here, and that's fine I guess, but you don't really have a good reason to because this wasn't a normal type of attack, this was just yet another terrorist attack from radicalized Muslims and there's not really any legislation that is going to stop that in the future.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If you create an environment where it is extremely easy to commit horrific attacks like this you deserve some of the blame. This is not a large scale terrorist operation with multiple men involved. This seems to be a single person acting on his own volition. America as a country needs to do better to stop these things from happening, it is the only developed nation in the world where things like this happen to such a large degree. Any rational person would try to study what other countries are doing that makes them so much safer than us, and try to mimic that here.

If you are in school and repeatedly get C's, while other students consistently get A's, I would maybe try and see what the other students are doing that make them so successful, just a thought.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure some of all types have. That's sort of what people do when things like this happen, you see a ton of "thoughts and prayers" statements that really mean nothing but people look for them as if they are significant.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is this thread just about the "politics" of this horrible tragedy? What about the response by the police? Why did it take 3 ****ing hours for them to get in there and help those people, bleeding out from horrific wounds? "Following procedure?" Incompetence? A lack of leadership? A lack of courage? I find the slow response difficult to believe. My heart breaks for the families and friends of those who had loved ones murdered and maimed.

12. Northside Storm

You neuter their beliefs, just like extremist interpretations of Christianity continue to get neutered. Fortunately, the device (strong protections enshrined in the law, an egalitarian society that celebrates diverse sexualities) is the same.

For every Muslim that is immigrating to America, the number of people who are secular and atheist actually doubled in the last few years, a welcome trend. And people tend to moderate in America no matter their prior belief system--compare American Muslims with Muslims anywhere else.

A few of the more radical people are going to Darwin themselves and take out good people with them, but short of stopping all lone wolf murders everywhere, I'm not sure what more can be done given the constraints of the rule of law America has chosen to embrace from its beginning.

The long-term trend (over centuries) is towards violence decreasing as society grows more secular and atheistic. There's that.

13. Northside Storm

it also works as a coffee-table type book title!

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/12/omar-mateen-id-d-as-orlando-killer.html

Ex-wife of suspected Orlando shooter: ‘He beat me’

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can't just go running into a hostage situation, you can get a whole lot more people killed that way. It takes time to do it properly.....and even then it's risky. I think the fear was that the guy had explosive devices and was waiting for police to detonate them. It's a reasonable caution.

16. Northside Storm

I don't know, is there an established history of centuries of killing and torturing metalheads "because"?

17. Northside Storm

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The guns used in this might not even be registered. There's many high powered assault rifles with registry whatsoever. The concept of a black market is very real.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so this time it's different because of completely unrelated incidents in the past? Gotcha. Well you feel like pushing the LGBTQLMNOP agenda instead of looking at this in the proper context and nothing is going to stop you. Have fun with that.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed. If murdering a bunch of kindergarteners in their classroom couldn't get people to see the need for gun control this won't either.

Politically this won't help either side as already mentioned the battle lines between radical Islam and gun control are already there.

Since a good compromise is supposed to leave both parties unhappy how about we just ban all Muslims and all guns? I mean regardless whether you believe this was a religious or gun issue banning both would have likely prevented it right?