1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Florida Night Club Shooting - at least 20 dead - impact on US elections?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Will this shooting help Trump or Clinton, if it turns out that it was religiously motivated terror?

1. It will help Trump

51.0%
  2. It will help Clinton

7.3%
  3. It will help neither of them

41.7%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not blaming him for not dying, I'm blaming him for not doing his job. It was his job to protect all of those unarmed civilians and he ran away. The shooter wasn't wearing any body armor, so it's not like there was a small target he had to hit in order to stop him. Any shot that hit anywhere near center mass stops the shooting outside. Any shot to the head stops the shooting outside. Any shot to one of the gunman's arms likely greatly slows down the gunman saving lives. Any shot to one of the gunman's legs likely stops him outside.

He basically had to hit the gunman anywhere and he failed so over 100 people were hurt and 49 died.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You were in the military. Have you ever delivered a lethal shot at a moving target at night with a pistol while they were returning fire?

Also to add when you're alone with no one giving covering fire.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No I have not, but I have some idea of how difficult it would be. I'm not saying that it would be easy to do, I'm saying it's his job to do it. That said, I also know how hard it would be for someone without really good training to hit a specific target while on the move with a rifle. Firing into a crowd would be easy, you're likely to hit someone no matter what, hitting a specific person? Different story unless you really slowed down to aim.

I just feel like the officer should have good enough training to where he could hit the shooter somewhere, anywhere on his body. If he can't, I don't want him being an officer or armed guard. I don't think it's asking too much to have those who are tasked with protecting unarmed civilians to be able to take down one guy that has no body armor on. If we have to invest in better training of our cops for that then let's do it, if we have to pay our cops more to get a better quality of cop out there protecting people, let's do it.

This guy was supposed to have been a 15 year vet cop.....how the hell do you get to be a cop for that long if you can't hit someone anywhere on a torso when you shoot? How do you get to be a cop that long if you run away abandoning 300+ unarmed people to a terrorist simply because you are being fired at? There's plenty of former grunts out there working at Denny's or whatever that would have done a much better job than this guy.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And yes you are pretty much blaming him for not dying in the line of duty. He put his life on the line when he engaged Mateen. Him continuing to engage the shooter when he was obviously disadvantaged just leads to him dead. He's no good then as he cant call in for help or provide info about the situation.

It sounds like your expecting something out of Lethal Weapon where a determined cop can just deliver a kill shot at the bad guy even though out gunned.

You weren't there not I.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not even expecting a kill shot, I'm expecting the cop to be able to hit him somewhere. Hell at least slow the guy down before running away and abandoning 300+ unarmed civilians to the whims of a terrorist.

Being "out-gunned" means dick, one round if fired anywhere near accurately ends this or greatly slows the gunman down saving dozens of lives if not more.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There was a study. Google for it. Officers hit their target 18% of the time in a gun fight. Now, I believe that was multiple offices to one target. This case is different. Out gunned and by someone that was apparently highly trained and accurate.

So, perhaps better training for the officers is nice. And some help with not being out-gunned would be great to. Every officers should always be carrying around military grade weapons is a start.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Then, um, why do civilians need military-grade weaponry again? :grin:

They should be fine with muskets and six-shooters.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sam Harris may have liberal positions but listening to him compare Islam to Nazism is just ridiculous. Most Muslims are peaceful, and there are many many many moderate Muslims. How can he say that they are basically the same as Nazis?

As for Trump being a liberal - that's simply laughable. He may again have some liberal positions in certain areas, but he certainly has many many conservative positions as well.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL there you go "military grade weaponry", that buzz phrase just shouts to everyone that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

What is "military grade weaponry"?

Is this "military grade"?
    [​IMG]

What about this?
    [​IMG]
    What about this?
    [​IMG]

How about this one?
    [​IMG]

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Have clicked none of those spoilers. We didn't need proof that you couldn't take a joke, but nicely done in any event. LOL.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, my mistake, I should have known better than to take you seriously.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You broke your own rule. Never argue with a sociopath. You may have to add never joke with a sociopath.

BTW, instead of talking about military grade which is a nebulous term, you could just post this.

AR-15 Inventor’s Family: This Was Meant to Be a Military Weapon

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ar-15-inventor-family-meant-145455435.html

In the wake of the Orlando shooting that left 49 victims dead, the family of the inventor of the AR-15 rifle says that the gun was not intended for civilian use but for military purposes.

“Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47,” the Stoner family told NBC News. “He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events.”

The AR-15 has become the centerpiece of a national debate over assault weapons and gun control, after attackers have used them and similar guns in mass shootings. Proponents of stricter gun control say that assault weapons like the AR-15 should be banned, arguing they are not intended for civilian use. Gun rights activists say that banning the gun would infringe on Americans’ Second Amendment rights. The National Rifle Association has taken to calling the AR-15 “America’s rifle.”

The killer in Orlando used a Sig Sauer MCX, a semiautomatic assault-style rifle that is similar in appearance and capabilities to the better-known AR-15.

Eugene Stoner, an ex-marine and the rifle’s inventor, never used his AR-15 for sport, kept it for personal defense, or even owned one. His family said he made millions by using his design, but only for military sales.

“After many conversations with him, we feel his intent was that he designed it as a military rifle,” Stoner’s family explained, saying that their father wanted to make the “most efficient and superior rifle possible for the military.”

#832 CometsWin, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the shooter here was definitely a sociopath.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, it is not.

He did not say that. You either don't get it or you just continue to obfuscate.

Saying that Islam as an ideology has parallels to Nazism is correct and true. He did say that.

Saying that Muslims as a whole are the same as Nazis is not true, and would be very wrong. He did not say that.

I'll try to explain it to you in an easy way.

Let's say Islam as an ideology consists of components A, B, C, D, E.

A-D relate to spiritual issues.

E comprises subjugation of women, intolerance and violence towards gays, intolerance and violence towards followers of other beliefs (specifically hate against Jews), killing of apostates (like in the Mafia - you want to leave our club, you get killed), supremacist aspirations, intolerance toward free speech, humor and satire, lying to gain advantages (taqiya), stone-age ignorant beliefs, draconian and inhumane punishments (like stoning and chopping off limbs) etc.

A-D are fine. Reasonable people of any belief have absolutely no problem with those parts of Islam, and with those Muslims who believe in those things, but largely ignore component "E".

The things grouped in component "E" are the components which justify a comparison to Nazism. Many of them are unique to Islam in today's world, or at least have a much larger following percentage-wise compared to other religions (like the hate and intolerance against gays - yes, it exists e.g. in Christianity as well, but not nearly to that extent). One could also tag them as "political Islam". These are also the components which make Islam different from today's Christianity and other religions in the sense that Islam demands to be all-encompassing - it demands to make its laws (Sharia) the law of the land wherever it spreads. Political Islam is not reconcilable with democracy and secularism. It's really an "either or" situation. This is evidenced by what has been going on in Turkey under Erdogan - a country that was widely regarded as a "model country" for how Islam and secularity could work together. The truth is that they cannot, and that the reason it kind of worked for a while was that Atatürk had basically curbed Islam's power for a while.

Now, as to what Harris says. He says that as long as component "E" is an integral part of Islam, that makes Islam comparable to Nazism as an ideology.

What he did not say is that all Muslims are Nazis. In fact, he said the opposite - he said that the vast majority of Muslims is peaceful.

Many many Muslims, at least in Western countries, mostly ignore component "E". Those Muslims are not comparable to Nazis.

Now, those who try to enforce and spread component "E" violently (like ISIS, Boko Haram, the Taliban, Iranian Mullahs, Hezbollah, Hamas, Al Qaeda, Abu Sayaf, etc. etc., just to name a few)? These are very much comparable to Nazis. And those who sympathize with these groups or their actions and who openly or tacitly endorse their actions (like, for instance, the Muslims who (openly or tacitly) say that the people of Charlie Hebdo "had it coming")? Yes, they are also comparable to Nazis. They are like the Nazis who knew about concentration camps and Nazi murders, and (openly or tacitly) approved of them.

Sadly, the shades are grey, and there is connecting tissue. There are many Muslims who don't believe in all of component "E", but who believe in parts of it. Like, let's say, they are against murdering people of other beliefs, but they think that apostates should be killed and that gays should be punished, and that drawing the prophet should be punished. Are these Muslims comparable to Nazis? Maybe. There might have been people in Nazi Germany who thought Jews should not be killed, but that they should be second-class citizens.

Anyway - the basic fault in what you are saying (and what you have been saying since your persona change) is that you continuously - intentionally or not - confuse the issue by not understanding the differentiation between criticizing an ideology and demonizing people.

Any ideology must tolerate scrutiny and criticism - certainly any religion. Criticizing elements of it - or the ideology as a whole if the fascist elements are so central to it that they cannot be seen as an easily separated fringe subset - does not mean demonizing people who follow parts of it.

And by screaming "bigot" and trying to shout down those who speak out about what's wrong with parts of the ideology and who identify these parts, one actually does a huge disservice to any chance of reform of the ideology, and to those within the religion who want to reform it. Shouting down criticism - as the left in the Western world does it - means playing into the hands of those who murder bloggers in Bangladesh, who slaughter journalists in Pakistan, who bomb schools in Afghanistan.

1 person likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Human Rights Campaign and other LGBT groups to take on Gun Controls.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...ally-lead-to-meaningful-gun-reform-heres-why/

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to second guess the security guard, who was clearly out-gunned in a dark, chaotic, and loud environment, but I will second guess the response of local law enforcement, which took 3 hours to take out this guy, while members of the public were bleeding out from their wounds, with the shooter continuing to shoot people up until the moment he was, finally, shot by police. In Paris, it took about 2 hours and 20 minutes minutes at the concert venue, filled with 1500 concert goers, for the French to get in and take out 3 heavily armed terrorists, who were wearing suicide vests and reportedly had hand grenades. Yes, they were in the French capitol and had elite response teams available, yet I'm sure some criticism was directed towards their response as well. Here's some directed at Orlando law enforcement.

In my opinion, the Orlando police, and the sheriff's department, who were also on the scene, took far too long to act decisively. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but that's how I see it. Local law enforcement across the country need to reexamine their procedures for dealing with any situation remotely comparable to Orlando. My guess it that they thought they were well prepared for any eventuality. Clearly, they weren't prepared to act quickly and decisively in this case, in my opinion.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

A much better speech about what happened in Orlando than Obama, Trump and Clinton combined.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7FBqTgNb5MA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Why do right wing extremists jerk Bibi every chance they get? This dude lives off of terrorizing his own people.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

True, but he bridges a credibility gap by knowing a Colt from a Sig Sauer.

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    ATW -- thank you for posting that video of Bibi's response. If the United States had a President with half of his leadership abilities, we would be far better off. Instead we have an appeaser who is allowing ISIS to run wild with no repercussions. This administration spends more time fighting about letting men use women's restrooms and about fighting the fantasy climate change crisis of the month instead of actually going after our enemies.

If anyone believes Obama's motivation for gun control is pure, I would ask them to tell me why Obama is eager to provide guns to Mexico, SE Asia, and the Middle East in vast quantities, yet keep them out of the hands of our own citizens -- the citizens who have a Constitutional right to keep and bear them. That right there is proof that Obama's intentions are to put in place the building blocks to have total control over the populace. The holy grail of control would include higher taxes (check), control over healthcare (check), control over energy (trying to do this with climate change, but blocked), and gun control.