1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Florida and early return info?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Desert Scar, Jan 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Anybody know anything beyond the exit polls data through last night. Blogs, info on real time futures, underground media, etc, that will release early info before the mainstream media.

thanks

2. Major

Major Member

3. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

I saw a poll last night that showed Romney with a 5% lead among early voters. It almost seems like every poll is saying something different so who can tell anymore?

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I think they are very careful on this kind of stuff for Florida because a small portion of Florida's panhandle is in a later time zone. They don't want early returns from voting districts that ended an hour earlier to influence people in places where the polling places are still open. IIRC, they may even have a law against broadcasting early returns before all the polling places close.

If you are watching CNN or Faux News tonight, they will likely mention this and make note of why they are having to wait. The good part is that 85% percent of Florida will get an hour head start on the count.

Here is the latest polling data I found on the web all for the 27th.

McCain Romney
    32% 34%
    28% 27%
    32% 31%
    31% 31%
    30% 27%
    31% 32%
    32% 31%

5. Major

Major Member

Definitely true. NH and SC for the Dems showed how much fluctuation there is in this race and how unreliable the polls can be at this point. So many people seem to be making their decision within the 2-3 days before the election that te polls aren't super-helpful. Tonight will be interesting.

Maybe they'll tie, right down to the last voter. How great would that be?

6. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

7. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Now we see who Roger Clemens has endorsed.

I Wanna Pitch!!! ROCKET! ROCKET!

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Go Mitt!!! Or McCain. Or Rudy or Huck. I'd actually love to run against any of these guys.

I'm a junkie for this stuff and I always want to know who's up and down so I love polls but I think it's time to finally acknowledge they are less reliable than they've ever been in the past. Even when any number of polls says the same thing, they can be very, very wrong as they were in NH. I think cell phones have effectively killed the polling industry.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought Claude Pepper was dead.

In contested races, early voters very often diverge from the final results.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You've probably said this a bunch, but who do you like Batman?? Which of the candidates do you want to become the next president??

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

go here:

[rquoter]First (?) Wave of Florida Exits, Revealed

The first wave of exit poll numbers, including absentees: McCain 34.3 percent, Romney 32.6 percent, Giuliani 15.3 percent, Huckabee 12 percent.

UPDATE: Interestingly a second source — yes, guardians of the exit poll data, I have not one but two spies within your ranks! — tells me these are the "second wave" numbers.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Reader Adam notes, "I also noticed the political trading markets pop a bit toward Romney right after 5 o'clock. Romney had been trading in the high 30s and now he's mid-40s."[/rquoter]

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I too would love to see "no clear winner" tonight from the republicans.

To the convention!

But a mention must be made of the incredible fall of the Republican standard bearer.

It is breathtaking in its scope the way Rudy Giuliani has fallen from the national lead he enjoyed just a few months ago.

This was supposed to be the Republican standard bearer for 08? The man that would lead republicans to the White House for another 8 years?

My how the mighty have fallen.

Who’s left to pick up the republican mantle?

Who would want it?

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

The real question tonight is...

Will the democrats (who didn't campaign in the state and whose delegates mean nothing) have more voters in their primary than the republicans.

trends say yes!

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

You mean they actually count absentee ballots in Florida? I thought that was against the rules in that state since the 2000 election? :D

15. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

South Carolina was way off, too, no one called that within fifteen points.

Why cell phones? Because they don't get polled? Something is off, but intermittently, its weird. I think that inconsistent reinforcement is good for the system, actually, keeps people involved until the game is done, less garbage time.

I think we need to have a roll call on who people are supporting at this point and why without a trash-festival; a CF. net 'who we like and why'. Actually maybe i will start that one. No trashing involved, just who we're are supporting.

Today, I was wondering where you were at this point. I think I know, but am not sure.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Huh hmm, the party that cried over voter disenfranchisement loud in 2000 is shamelessly disfranchising the same bloc of voters 8 years later.

Telling

17. CBrownFanClub

Like wnes, for instance, i am wondering who he/she is supporting and why.

18. Major

Major Member

I think a large part of is the number of voters who are deciding so late. In SC, those people went something like 60% Obama, 15% Clinton - and it was a good chunk of the electorate. So the polls may accurately describe the situation at the time, but things are so fluid that it changes by election day. Most reports in NH suggest that Clinton's "tear" the day before the election had a huge impact - but none of the polls could really show that. Who really knows what's going on. We already learned in 2004 that the exit polling industry has a problem. Maybe this will be the election that the regular polling industry joins them.

I wish one major candidate would go to his voters and say "make something up" if a pollster calls you. That would destroy all polling and you'd actually have to wait until election day to determine the results.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

CBFC, here are a couple of pop quizzes for you. Who said the following?
    And who said this?

20. CBrownFanClub

My guess would be Barack Obama, and when I say guess, I mean I googled it, I hope that is cool.

In all earnestness, can I ask who are you supporting?