1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flopping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotdamn, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MattM

MattM Member

It's really hard to tell in real time if someone flops - that's the problem. So, what really needs to happen is what has been mentioned earlier - NBA reviewing tapes of games and suspending people for cheating- like they said they would.

Profiling should also be utilized. Artest is profiled. Why not Kirelinko and the rest of the Jassholes?

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There was 2 clear flops last night...Fine them please a whole year's contract.

This is disrespecting the game.

3. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

thats not true...most officiating in Basketball is a judgement call...blocks/charges etc....so this would be a judgement call too....
    they need to do something because what Kirlilenko and Okur do is NOT basketball...im surprised no NBA players don't flip out and beat the daylights out of one of these players....I don't know how they contain themselves because I want to do it myself... :mad:

4. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I like the idea of throwing stuffed rabits on the court. The only problem with that is you could get kicked out of a game.

It would be nice if the fans could start flop chants to bring it to light. If the fans really take to this it would have to make Stern take action. It would definitely take some organization though.

Its frustrating because I really like the game of baskbetball, but this is the biggest reason I don't like the league.

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

When there is apparent flopping, "no call" is a good approach and is widely used. In fact, you don't need to prove a fall is a flop with that approach. I don't know why it changes when it comes to Yao Ming.

6. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

Flops are stupid

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It's funny that most of notorious floppers are Jazz players and old Pistons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flop_(basketball)/
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neumann/070607/

Hall of Fame (my picks)
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bill Laimbeer
    Vlade Divac (people say he is the father of the flop, but he wasn't nearly as good as Laimbeer was, in fact Laimbeer probably started flopping in his stint as an actor on Land of the Lost). What do people do when they have a stunt scene .... you guess it.
    Dennis Rodman
    John Stockton
    Danny Ainge
    Karl Malone
    Andrei Kirilenko
    Derek Fisher

People trying to break into that group....

Anderson Varejao
    Pau Gasol
    Andres Nocioni
    Raja Bell

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

so what? we're not the one's deciding on it, a much more impartial party is.

9. jondoe

jondoe Member

I can't believe the idiot in charge of the refs (stu) doesn't review these idiot refs for making bad calls. If you fark up at your job enough, shouldn't you get fired? Its such a double standard because guys can push and push yao, but when he leans a little too much, the guy does a tumble and a foul is called. Yao should start falling when the post defenders start leaning on him. That would be funny.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No Manu?

11. ILoveTheRockets

Sometimes they don't even flop.

Artest got a charging call against the T'Wolves when he was driving into the lane. Artest had his knee up when he jumped and it prevented I think it was Foyle from stripping the ball. Well Foyle swiped at the ball and lost his balance on his own never once did Artest even touch him and they called a charge on Artest.

That was the biggest crock of bull dookie I have ever seen while watching a NBA game. Refs don't even do that in HS basketball.

12. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

So my question is: Why not flop all the time when Yao is backing down on the post? The refs will call it a charge 75% of the time. Seems like great defense to me.

13. flashsky

flashsky Member

NBA League and Stern should change the rules to kick Floopers off.

14. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I think that as long as the defenders get that offensive foul called on the guys they're guarding, they'll continue to flop.

This rule would be an unprecedented thing: Use reply to review the offensive call made by the official because of the defender flopping, and if it revealed no hard and excessive contact like what the flopper indicated, then hand that one defender who flopped a technical foul, and then allow the team who was on offense on that play a full 24 seconds after the technical free throw is attempted.

OTOH, if the officials would ever catch on with what the defenders are often out there trying to do by doing their flopping, then they should just ignore the flopping altogether and swallow the whistle on the play unless they REALLY saw the hard and excessive contact made by the offensive player.

15. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

The point I'm making is that the technical should be for embellishing not flopping. Embellishing means accentuating the contact. This gives the refs a lot of flexibility. They could see contact, call an offensive foul, and call a technical for embellishing if a player overdoes the flop. All those no calls become technicals. It would also apply to the offensive side. Diving to the floor with minimal contact would be a technical as well.

These technicals count towards a players 2 technical limit, meaning they get one flop and the next one they are out of the game.

I don't like the fining idea, since in critical games, I think most players would accept the fine to help them win. Don't players get extra money for playoff games? This would not solve the Kirilenko playoff flops.