1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flopping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotdamn, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Three quarters through the season and not ONE case of it being enforced...what a fricken joke.

DD

2. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

how can you tell what is a flop and what is just someone getting knocked off balance and falling, id rather there be a no call, let them play through it and if it is a flop theyll stop doing it

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It's pretty easy. When someone nudges you, and you crumple to the floor as if you just got shot in the face with a shotgun, you are flopping. These calls probably can't be made too well in-game, but post-game they can review the tapes and flops are very clear in replays. This is when the fines should be doled out.

Yes, it'd be better to just ignore the flop as a no-call, but refs can't see everything all the time. 3 guys watching 10 guys on the floor, I can understand if some flops get called the wrong way, so wanting to eliminate it in-game is impossible. Be attacking floppers post-game, it discourages them from doing it in the first place, thus reducing the number of flops the refs have to watch for in-game. That's the general idea, I think.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I've been watching NBA games since the early '70s, and I honestly think the officiating is worse now than it's ever been. Maybe that's due to expansion and the larger number of refs needed to cover the games every night, but Stern has got to do something about this. It's amazing to see him stand there and declare that there's nothing at all wrong with the officiating in the league.

5. Serg300

Serg300 Member

I did this in MS pain, any photoshop experts be my guest and make a nicer one. :D

Flops of Glory

[​IMG]

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I do believe the NBA is one of the toughest leagues to officiate, but when flopping becomes part of the strategy things have gone wrong.

It's unrealistic, but I'd like to see the NBA review every game and tally one point for every flop. Then when a certain player accumulates, let's say 10 points, he's suspended for a game. And make the counts visible to the public, kind of like accumulating yellow cards in soccer tournaments.

Players would be much more mindful of flopping, and video review ensures that all flops are as 'legitimate' as possible. Don't they have people reviewing tape constantly anyways for referee evaluations?

7. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I really think they should really just throw out a few fines -- big ones. Hell, fine the whole organization. There are certain cases of flopping where the defender can legitimately say "That move was a legitimate foul", but a lot of the time it is blatant to any person who watches the replay.

The NBA has no problem fining people who complain about this type of play, while they fail to attack the real issue : the flopping is disgusting. On that first Kirilenko video someone posted, you can see Boozer walk up and talk to AK -- he's congratulating him on his excellent flop. It's a joke.

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

all the NBA has to do is say, ok we're gonna look at gametape from previous games, if we see a flop, you get a strike, three strikes and you're suspended for a couple games, then it'd stop......you'd get away with it in a game, but in the long run, it wont help.

9. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Forget doing anything to the players. In the end they'll stick up for each other.

How about if they start fining the coach?

On another note, I think what McGrady and Scola does is also flopping.

As far as I'm concerned, both types of flops kills the sport (if you consider action between two teams completely regulated by refs as a sport)

10. rocket3forlife2

This dude should be kicked out the leauge

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2FG1WAry08&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2FG1WAry08&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ONOJHhW2WU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9ONOJHhW2WU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I'm just so sick of this crap. It's ruinning my day.

Clutch, I got to take a break from this bad memory.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

that does make me physically ill.

13. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

Yao can't flop. He has short hair... :D The longer the hair you have, the better flopper you are... Right now, if you have a very minimal contact with the guard, they call a foul. If you shove and pushed a bigman, that's no foul... If you think that you cannot guard a player, you flop and then they will it a foul... I agree with Rasheed, that is not basketball, that is entertainment... That is a total disrecpect to the NBA. Can Harlem Globestroter have their own team in the NBA? Then that will be fun...

14. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I'm all for a suspension. Maybe like you guys say, review the tapes and tally points. Then along with a suspension, repeat offenders should get fines.

The other thing should be if two or more players from one team get the excess in points, the coach should be fined.

NBA refs are the worst in sports. Bar none. They really hurt the game. I could've sworn they brought someone in to clean up the officiating.

15. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

I couldn't agree more...

16. GMNot

GMNot Member

Mamamia! (or however you spell it)

If it hadn't been beaten to death over the years this could be a very long thread. Most people have given up.

The only way to remedy the flopping is with a policy that has some real teeth to it. Fining wouldn't -- even if it was enforced. In a playoff situation, what player is going to mind a fine if he gets a ring in return?

Just off the top of my head why not let teams who are the "victims" of flopping submit the videos to the league office. A panel of referees, representatives from each team, and randomly selected fans then review the supposed flop. If a majority decide it is a flop then the penalty is a 1-game suspension for the flopping player -- the first game following the ruling. A second offense earns a 2-game suspension and a third a 5-game suspension plus $50,000 fine for all three, meaning $150,000. And just like there are special rules for the last two minutes of a half, there would be special rules for the playoffs. One flop and your suspended for the rest of that game and series. If it's the final game of a series and in the last two minutes, then your suspended for the next series. If it's the Finals, you forfeit the ring to the other team.

Sound severe but it would definitely get the attention of a few floppers around the league.

And as an afterthought. If your team has 3 flopping violations by at least 2 different players, then the coach is also suspended -- time TBD. ;)

17. GMNot

GMNot Member

...and one more item. You probably would have to have a graduated suspension policy so that players who don't play a lot of minutes can't come in and affect a crucial game. So if your MPG average is like 10 minutes or less you would get suspended more games than I previously cited... Not sure how it would be structured, but you'd have to have a ruling that would discourage that sort of thing.

18. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Not only should the floppers be fined, the refs who continually fall for it should -- after a reasonable number of warnings to get their shyte together -- be disciplined for being incompetent and gullible. And the discipline should be made public; shame the idiots into doing their freaking job correctly.

Honestly, if he can't clean up this cancer on the league (and it's obvious that he can't or won't) Daniel Stern needs to go. The NBA needs a new, no-bullsh1t commissioner like the NFL's Roger Goodell, someone who will address the twin related blights of flopping and horrific officiating.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

When the action of the offending player clearly doesn't naturally cause the movement of the offended player. For example, Okur's flop on Yao last night under the basket. Yao was turning and Okur's head snapped back forcefully without any natural cause. The flopping was so obvious that the Jazz fans that I was watching the game with admitted it.

20. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I think the NBA needs to add a technical foul for embellishing. This seems to be the best solution.

In that case, a ref could still call an offensive foul, but add a technical to the embellisher who tried to oversell it. A no call flop by definition would be an automatic technical, since the ref did not believe there was an offensive foul.

Maybe we should throw stuffed rabbits on the court when opposing teams' players flop, sort of like the octupus stuff in hockey. By bringing light to the issue, Stern would be forced to deal with it. "Floppy" the rabbit on the court for flops.

Rowdies wear bunny ears to every game with reknowned floppers?