1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Uhh no, he takes the hit. Kirilenko didnt take the hit, he RAN INTO the hit on purpose to create a small fake contact, and then he went flying

2. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

come on, it's ridiculous to fault a player for flopping. basketball players, just like normal people, respond to incentive structures. the way the game is setup, there is no penalty for flopping, and it is a good way to get whistles for your team and get your team extra possessions. basketball players will do anything to help their team win (theoretically), and so they should flop to get calls if it's not against the rules and it will give their team an advantage. props to kirilenko, good play, you flopped, the referees bit, and your team won the game. the problem in this instance is with the official for falling for such a blatant flop based off very little contact AWAY from the ball, and also to the league for not making flopping illegal in some sense. if there is no penalty for flopping, players SHOULD flop, it's the right thing to do for your team.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I predict that the league will address flopping this offseason. It has become a subject of public discourse, with national journalists commenting on it on-air, in the papers, etc. JVG has done a good job to help keep it on people's minds. So, I expect Stern will announce something this summer. It might only be that it is a point of emphasis for the refs, but something. My preference would be suspensions. Or, maybe when someone finds a flop after-the-fact, the offender is lined up and the player who was called for the foul gets to hit the guy hard enough to cause the reaction the flopper had originally faked.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Nice one ;)

5. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

i know it's my third time asking, but i really want this video on youtube and i don't know how to do it myself, can somebody PLEASE post the video of kirilenko flopping and the slow-mo replay?? there are people who actually think it was a good call, ie. Henry Abbott from truehoop said it definitely was a foul.

6. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

7. namo

namo Member

Kirilenko is a very ugly human being, both inside and outside.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I find it highly unlikely they will ever penalize flopping. Think about it; If the ref thought the player was flopping he wouldn't have called a foul on the opposing player in the first place. To think an anti-flopping rule would change the ref from not giving the flopper a call, to calling something against the flopper is unlikely.

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

Technical Foul if a Ref catches a player flopping. That would stop it.

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Not really because flopping is so subjective that it would be extremely difficult to call. Let's put it this way, any call that has ever been given to a flopper before would still be given to the flopper, because if the ref thought they were flopping he wouldn't be giving them the call in the first place.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

There could be post game reviewing, but I would think that would take far too many resources. I could only think of handing out like a tech every time you detect flopping, just like 3 seconds, delay of game, flagrant fouls. It might not be a technical foul on the player himself, but just a tech foul shot like 3 seconds.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

my point stands that if the refs were any good at detecting flopping they would just not give the flopper the call in the first place, or call a personal foul on the flopper if it hurt the offensive player in any way. Most of the time when an uncalled flop happens the offensive player gets a lay up or wide open shot.

13. poprocks

poprocks Member

But if a flop were detected and the resulting penalty was say 2 free throws and loss of possession to the other team, then that's a pretty stiff penalty for even trying it. Sure it won't stop all the flops but it would make a player think twice before tring it.

14. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

If that was the case then you will have to blow the whistle every 3 secs because there will be a foul somewhere .

15. Jimes

Jimes Member

This is a youtube of the Jazz broadcast. They don't zoom in on it (for obvious reasons) but you can see it in the lower-left corner for like a second at 1:58. You can't see the arm flailing swan dive into the crowd very well at that angle though. I hope someone comes out with the angle they showed on the big screen at Toyota Center though.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eamf5y_WFOw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eamf5y_WFOw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

16. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't quite follow what you are saying in regards to my post.
    I only have issues with a flop that is faking a foul. ie. there is no foul committed and the player is basically fooling the official. It's like false rape charges. Both are despicable. Accusing someone else of doing something they didn't. Again...despicable. Hope that's even spelled correctly.

But regarding your comment on the fact that you could call fouls on every play...
    That's the problem. The rules are so strict on the perimeter, and semi-lax down low. And there's no way to be consistent, unless you let a certain amount or certain nature of foul slide.

It's not an easy job to officiate the game, that's obvious. I would assume this is why the officials get together and discuss each year how they plan to call games so they are all as consistent with each other as they can be. They are still human, and humans are prone to error.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I just think that there would be additional frustration from bad calls resulting from any anti flopping rule. Would you want to lose a game because some ref decided Battier trying to take a charge was a flop? It would be inevitable that the Rockets would be on the wrong end of a bad anti flopping call at some point. In my opinion they just need to do a better job of not giving the flopper the call. I mean some players have a reputation for flopping. Punish them by not giving them the benefit of the doubt on calls. But if players are flopping in a manner that fools the ref on the floor at the time I don't see any way that an anti flopping rule is going to make the ref any less fooled. Because in the ref's eyes there was no flop.

18. Hakeem

Hakeem Member

They called Scola for an illegal screen while AK was trying to close out on TMac. It was the correct call, regardless of whether or not AK embellished. Scola had to hack Korver to get the ball back for the Rockets anyway...

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I get mad when we can't hit our free throws or 3-pt's but this flopping is so much worse.

But seriously, how do you expect flopping to be elimnated from the game when Utah's success has been built around this for 20 years, might as well take Utah out of the league.

The flopping is really bad, and the NBA needs to put in a rule against it. I personally say a technical for a flop and possible fine or suspension if you get to many of them. However, the flopping problem is not just the NBA, flopping works so well overseas that its a part of every foreign player's game. I don't blame them for taking advantage of it, but its about time for this to be taken out of basketball.

20. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

As long as the NBA employs referees with the intellectual capacity of Tony Brothers this stuff will continue to happen.