1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flopping - Disdain or admiration?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 11, 2010.

Tags:
?

Flopping as a primary form of offense

1. Yes - I like it, smart play

48 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. No - It is cowards basketball

195 vote(s)
    80.2%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't know when it happened, but I watch this year's team and they are the floppingest bunch of players I have ever seen.

I am not talking about the defensive charge call, where you emphasize the contact, but rather the offensive side, where the entire offensive game is to try to draw contact and toss the ball at the rim hoping it goes in.

I mean occassionally, sure, but it seems that our entire team now just tries to draw contact instead of trying to make the shot.

We know KMart does it, Kyle does it, Luis is now doing it, Shane is doing it, everyone.....it is like a flopping cancer....people are taking dives so often that it is hard to watch.

Whatever happened to just trying to score the ball and if you get fouled you get fouled....

I may be in the minority on this, but dang...It looks like chicken crap basketball to me.

When did the Rockets join Fifa?

DD

1 person likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe you're in the minority on this, but I agree.

Flopping is disgusting and a little piece of me dies watching Martin flop around, especially after hating Kirilenko/Okur/Fisher/Parker/Ginobili for so long.

Sad thing about flopping is it's effective, if you're just playing for the foul you won't ever reliably get the call. Refs seem to be more enamored by snapping your head back and throwing yourself down dramatically than they do by real basketball fouls in the lane.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

My disdain is for the refs who can't tell real contact from a flop.

4. DaDakota

I agree, the refs are inconsistent in any calls......some of them don't call the flops, like last night, and our team struggles.....

Some of them call everything...and it is a FT line extravaganza.....

I just think it is cowards basketball, if it was every now and then, fine....but to have it be the central part of your offensive plan...

Weak...weak...weak !

DD

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am a bit confused are you talking about players flopping or you flopping on opinions?

4 people like this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Flopping is a huge part of the NBA now, and I hate it too. It's not just the Rockets.

I've read that some people blame the hand check rule. Now that you can't hand check, it's too easy to get into the lane, and people have no choice to flop to stop all the drives.

So, bring back the hand check rule?

7. DaDakota

Maybe you should stick to the topic at hand, or just GTFO, I don't care which.

I am not sure that works, but I would be in favor of the refs ignoring the obvious flops.....

DD

#7 DaDakota, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

No one will argue this is disdainful.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ukde193ivM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ukde193ivM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'd like to see gone from basketball, but it will never happen. Sometimes its just too difficult for a referee to see.

9. DaDakota

See that is terrible, the NBA should go back in and fine or suspend players after the fact.....for stuff like that.....

Disgraceful.

DD

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I agree, there should definitely be a hefty fine or suspension for a play like this. But unfortunately this could only be done after the game. We can't have referees reviewing foul calls during the game, with the exception of flagrants of course.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

See stuff like this is on the refs, that is VERY obvious. If the refs stop calling it then players will stop doing it because when it fails then it almost guarantees points for the other team.

12. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I agree with you DD. It seemed last night Lowry was more interested in getting his "foul calls" then just playing out there. It really looked like it affected his game mentally when he was not getting any of the calls he usually gets.

It ticked me off so much that he get complaining and complaining instead of playing through it...

So I agree, this has got to stop or atleast be reduced...

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We flop a lot, and I don't like it. Lowry is probably the most egregious about it. Its the same as last year.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=5136804&highlight=flopping#post5136804
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=5204597&highlight=flopping#post5204597
    Now that's some flopping. :grin:

5 people like this.
  14. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

yea, the only reason i hate flopping on the offensive end is that the players such as kmart try to draw the foul rather then just score the ball. IF they do both tho, we all like it..lol

15. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Ever since Adelman has started coaching this team we have added more floppers. Euro players flop the most. Dirk, Gasol, Scola are all horrible. Kyle Lowry flops remind me of Paul Pierce, but Kyle doesn't act like he is dead after the flop like Pierce does.

The JVG teams did not have any floppers. It seems like a coaching preference of personnel and Adelman/Morey seems to like floppers. Granted it might not be a bad thing for the team, but we lose some integrity when we flop.

Just play hard nosed basketball and quit flopping Luis and Kyle!

16. DaDakota

It is not just one guy, it is the entire stinking team, they are flopping all over the place, the Rockets are like watching fish in a boat....flop, flop, flop...it is disgusting at times.

I get blasted for my relying on a 3rd party, but it seems that is all they are doing.....go for the goal, not try to jig the system....

DD

17. no.3 for no.1

no.3 for no.1 Member

18. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

No doubt about it. Lowry just stuck out to me last night and really irked me because he kept trying to get calls and flopping everywhere...

We do have a lot of floppers on our team, I just wish they would focus more on results, then worry about the refs.

19. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

whats wrong with flopping if that is the only defensive skill that a player can use?
    We are not talking about Dwight Howard flopping right here. Scola and Chuck Hayes are not tall or athletic enough to block shots. so the only way they can play defense is to flop. The same thing is true for Martin. Hes not heavy enough to guard other SGs so flopping is the only way for him to effectively take out the other SGs.

20. DaDakota

Not really, I still HATE it, and disrespect it, hated it then, hate it now....no flopping on my part at all, but seriously, you went looking for those posts Durv, and you of all people understand the difference in context, weak.

I guess sometimes you have to join in, but this year it has gotten even worse......I mean it is like they are trying for the flop over trying to score the ball.

That is disgusting to me, at least make a legitimate attempt to score...

DD