1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flexibility

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2019.

1. jowman

jowman Member

Akin to a virgin saying he’s choosing to remain celibate because he wants to keep his options open.

Jontro likes this.
  2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Oh wait he is getting his way lol

Riz and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

harsh critique but maybe you enjoy tax savings. is it utter nonsense to want your team to spend to win? the warriors spend millions more than us each year. if we match their cost we beat them and celebrate our championships. the cap is real, I never said we should sign a max guy using imaginary money and pay 50M in taxes. I'm saying what we are witnessing is an owner to wants to save, not spend. and a GM who lets good role players go by while waiting for the next superstar to come his way.

there is no reason not to spend the full MLE this summer except it would raise the tax bill. the hard cap doesn't matter as much as we think it does, 13 team are currently hard capped! not spending it only means tilman won't pay to win, or morey places too much value in waiting for the big one and not enough value in going for it with what we have (which IMO is good enough to win, if they only had some depth).

again, I don't compare myself to bima anymore than you compare yourself Kayne west. I'm not analyzing the CBA like Bima does masterfully. I'm quite simply disagreeing with the philosophy that we've been operating under. you don't prioritize flexibility when your MVP is 30. you go all in for a couple years and hope for the best.

JW86, Corrosion and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nothing is ever guaranteed in life. we can only try your best with what little knowledge we have. morey is privy to a world of information we have no idea about. therefore everything we post here is pure conjecture. I recognize that. but without conjecture the whole conversation on this site stops. so, yes, I am posting things that I assume and so is everyone else!

yes we keep losing to GSW. yes MDA doesn't play more than 7 players, but I'll tell you we came damn close twice and IMO if we replace the vet minimum guys who earned minutes in crucial games with MLE players I think we win. also, in my humblest opinion, depth helps us win more games during the regular season which helps our playoff seeding. if we won 5 more games last year we would be #1 and wouldn't play the warriors until the WCF when they were completely injured. there's no guarantees, but depth doesn't hurt! talent worth more than the very least amount you are legally allowed to pay for it doesn't hurt!

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He stopped asset building when he had to dump all the assets to avoid the tax last year.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When I was complaining of the way they limited themselves for this offseason , Bima agreed with my position … which was
    The dumping of assets to avoid the tax limiting their ability to improve going forward.

The fact that they were in the conversation for Butler is moot as they would have had to give up two quality players to make that happen. Had they not given up those assets to avoid the tax , they still could have been in that conversation and not had to give up two quality players to make it happen.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That’s different than complaining about missing out on Ariza and Luc and their 20 mil. Going into the tax last year might have given us more opportunities to improve this year. Yes. But not because of Ariza at 15 million I imagine. That helped us get players to not have ariza last year. Bima could put me in my place and I’d shut up about it but people act like Morey ain’t trying at all. Keeping Ennis and Knight might have worked out for competing this playoff session but I doubt it. I say go for broke now and for the next three seasons.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We’re too far apart to continue this convo. But I will remain a fan of you and your posts going forward.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

Same song every off-season. Not sure who’s to blame anymore, but unless we sign two impactful guys and let Shump walk i’ll believe we are all in.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really wasn't talking about Luc and Ariza …. but I think they would have been with Ariza than without.

Don't think that would have affected the signing of Rivers or Faried either - they both signed for the prorated minimum and with CP3 out a guard was necessary as was a big when Capela went out.

Really don't think it would have changed anything in that aspect.

Keeping Knight didn't help at all for last season or the post season - He was nothing but an expiring contract to parlay this offseason … along with the first round pick used to dump him.

I was furious at them for dumping everything with no apparent reason other than to avoid the tax …. Everything he did appeared to hamstring making the team better.
    Looking back , I can see Morey had a plan to go after Butler from the get go and dumping Knight was necessary in that process because he had the apron issues to deal with - as was dumping Capela and EG - If Butler agreed to come here. Morey was big game hunting and set everything up according to that - Had Butler agreed , its a brilliant move and he's likely executive of the year again …. Butler just didn't cooperate.

The question in hindsight now , at least in my opinion is if he should have been big game hunting or if he should have gotten the best players he could outside of the big game and continued collecting assets. The second option sure seems viable , especially considering Durant went down …. It wouldn't have taken much to swing that series in their favor.

I still think Morey's one of the best GM's in the league …. No one else can manipulate the cap like he does. I just wish he was a little better at evaluating talent in the draft.

don grahamleone and Easy like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think its more likely they retain Shumpert via his bird rights somewhere around 6-9m and not use the BAE nor the NT-MLE - avoiding the hard cap and having Shumpert as a movable salary.

Morey's a big game hunter and a leopard don't change his spots.

12. JW86

JW86 Member

Yup and it’s sad. Banking on the next trade instead of going with the best team now. Pathetic actually

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I cant knock his current approach.

Ask yourself what's out there now that moves the needle ? I don't see much left on the market or anyone they could have gotten that made a real difference … You retain Shumpert as a trade piece and don't hardcap yourself , you can potentially make a real difference making move at the deadline - especially if you cant extend EG. You cant let him walk for nothing , you have to get return on that asset / investment.

14. JW86

JW86 Member

See that’s how Morey has fooled you and plenty of others since plenty of guys could’ve been signed by now and a handful still. Trading Ego can still happen but you cannot as a CONTENDER go into the season expecting to trade your rotation guys.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Same for me! We've both been here 18 years, nothing but respect!

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. Tilman is cheap...unless we land a 3rd star. THAT he'll oay for because he'll spend money to make money.

smoothie likes this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lol so we can just get turned down by washed up scrubs in the buyout market?