1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flexibility

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Seems like we are trying to maintain flexibility and we are not signing anyone with the BAE and leftover MLE after House signing. If so, is it understandable?

Who down the line can be had? Can BAE even be used to absorb salary? I also read we have a TPE from last season, is that right?

I just hope we will go into the season at full strength and not waiting for someone to be had later down the line. Cannot afford to wait in my opinion and then not use all the money you have to spend like last year’s MLE.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not only do i believe that's what DM and tilman would prefer, but I wholeheartedly disagree with it.

they won't spend on anyone who's not a star. they won't commit to anything that doesn't involve a star, and so we will always come up short until we land another star.

i don't want to see tax savings or cap flexability this season. i want to commit to building around harden alone and go all-in.

spend the remaining MLE and BAE to load the bench, from day 1! don't keep flexibility and the hope of landing a trade and the hope of landing a buyout player half way through the season. i don't want to hear that we don't need our best roster on day 1. yes we do if we want to start winning on day 1. i don't want to wait half the season to have a bench while paul, harden, and tucker average 36mpg.

sign two more role players now. start the season with a 9 man rotation. start winning from day 1 and we don't need a trade midseason. time to commit to harden as our only star and build around him instead of playing this waiting game.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Flexibility is undefeated in Houston.

DD

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Why bother loading the bench when D’Antoni only goes 8 deep???

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, if we sign some good value deals for the remaining MLE and BAE we could maybe use those players/contracts as trade bait as well. That is what GSW is doing with DeAngelo Russell. They converted Kevin Durant into a tradeable asset. That is a different example but the point is we should fill out the roster the best we can with what we have and then let the chips fall where they may as the season progresses. That also could make someone like Capela, Gordon or dare I say Tucker expendable if someone like Marcus Morris or JayM Green are signed and outproduce their contract. It seems that Morey stopped "asset building" ever since Tilman has been on board and I don't like it one bit.

Corrosion and tmoney1101 like this.
  6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Jaymichael Green should be the priority with what we have left

7. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Flexibility does not score points or grab rebounds

8. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

If it was up to MDA, he would just have Harden on the floor while the others just stand and watch....oh wait...

vlaurelio and bj3175 like this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Flexibility= no one new wants to sign here

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There's no flexibility to maintain. We are highly limited in any possible moves.

Our owner chose to sacrifice potential flexibility for LTS.

Corrosion, tmoney1101 and YOLO like this.
  11. SinceEverSince

LTS is king...

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

correct. we had a chance to build a contender last year and chose to save money instead. after a 65 win season, and a close 7 game WCF, they chose to let all FAs leave and only sign minimum contracts... and then they have the audacity to use the slogan "run it back." Yeah run those tax savings back to the bank was what that meant.

how you have a chance to go for butler, fine, we missed, he's an idiot who'd rather lose but live in miami. Plan B should be to use the full NTMLE. we could've had carroll instead of letting the spurs improve. he's a perfect fit. Lamb, Taj, Aminu, Ellington, all guys who could've made a difference.

instead we used half the MLE on house, he's fine but he's not on the level of any of the aforementioned MLE signings. he got rivers for the minimum so tilman and morey can say he's WORTH the MLE but we didn't have to spend it! great, not go spend it on MORE talent.

if they don't spend the remainder of the MLE, and the BAE, the plan is clear. we will become the new version of the old clippers. squeeze roster costs and just try to make as much profit each year as possible.

Corrosion and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think if there's someone worth it to be signed with the MLE they should do it, like, imo, JaMaychal Green or Marcus Morris, but if these guys are about to get more money than what we can offer, i see no point in hardcapping the team just to get a guy in the Gerald Green/Shumpert's range, might be a better idea to resign Shumpert and have one more option in eventual trade scenarios.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We need a player better than Chris Paul. How much flexibility do we have?

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We can't get a better player than Paul.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Believe me, I know. I'm just giving the team a few more days before I begin my pages-long rants.

17. alethios

alethios Member

This is the time of year I hate. Can't wait for SL and training camp.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Run it back is accurate this year, but still maintain we need to spend every possible penny. They have the audacity to put our guys on the block, talk big game so back it up!

There’s guys snatched for the minimum and 3-5 million a year so we can definitely add talent if we want to. If we don’t, then don’t think too long as it means: Morey wants flexibility and Tilman is cheap.

I find it very hard not to completely drop my fandom over our organisation’s behaviour and ensuing hypocrisy. Hard to root for a team you know could’ve been better if your owner and GM just wanted it badly enough. It’s not Knicks level, but still.

mastan likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Honestly at this point we should just spend every penny and load up the roster.

Another star is not coming. We are nearing the end of hardens prime, can't wait anymore. The best hope is that we become the 2011 Dallas team. We have the advantage of bringing the whole team back that's been together for a while, other teams have to adjust to their new roster.

gmoney411 and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed with the guy saying just get players now .

Waiting for a buyout market that may or may not materialize is risky .

My biggest fear is getting off to a slow start again . MDA will hit the panic button , any plans of working in young players will be shelved , and James will play 40 mpg ....

This leads to a higher chance of injury when he's playing all the old guys heavy mins .

MDA will play 8th and 9th guy types in the regular season ... IF we are winning . He won't play them in the playoffs .

I don't like having to consider how the coach is going to react to roster moves . I don't like how it's a question that if we pick up young talent/ or keep our own ... of those guys will even play .

Obviously I don't like MDA and think he's a bigger problem than figuring out the roster moves we have left

Mathloom likes this.