1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fixing this mess of a roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I know you are, but what am I?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Butler was probably the only guy available that could solve most of the teams needs …

I'm not seeing another player that's realistically available that moves the needle much in a positive direction. Sure , there might be some incremental upgrades but are they really worth the assets ??

Chriss is an asset (if you want to call him that) that has a short shelf life - might as well use it or lose it. Maybe he nets you some minor piece near the deadline …

But when it comes to bigger contracts of Knight & EG (Nene too) , I probably don't move them unless I'm getting a very high quality player in return because you almost have to attach assets to Knights contract to move him - He's a net negative right now. You couldn't give him away with 4 #1's ….
    At the start of the new league year that contract becomes an expiring and is much easier to move to a team cutting salary / creating future cap space …

Might just be time to ride the storm out this year and try to make the big acquisition in the offseason or early next … Just don't want to be handcuffed by a move that doesn't move the needle.

topfive and Reeko like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Heat and Wizards would be the obvious sellers right now. Crazy high payrolls, with no on court success.

Of course, technically the Rockets would be in that category as well, and Boston would be close, though folks still expect turn-arounds from both.

To the extent either the Heat or Wizards rosters include players with much longer-term crazy contracts, Knight's contract might then have value.

Of course the Tyler Johnson, Kelly Olynk, Dion Waiters of the world don't exactly move the needle, and James Johnson might be an asset, but he's still barely coming back form injury and not even the "ok" player he was last year at the moment.

This is why people on the OPM, are on the OPM. Limited options.

joshuaao, Vivi and justtxyank like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Expensive - an ambiguous choice of word for this purpose - is what it costs Tilman to pay for this franchise. What it costs him is the revenue/income minus the costs (which includes the cost of running it + the annual payments/interest for buying it). On that calculation, Tilman is between top 3 and top 6 (out of 30) in how much more he gets vs how much he pays. He makes more than what he paid, and the amount he takes home is more than most other owners.

I think you're under the impression that he paid X billion up front in the past and now makes $60m a year, or you think the price of the roster is the major difference maker in the valuation of franchises. That's not how it works.

If you come to the podium upon purchasing this team and declare that you want to unseat the Warriors and nothing but championship is acceptable, then you are committing to at least matching the spending of the Warriors. If you're smart and you see that most of the Warriors roster is underpaid, then you would understand that you have to get even better value from your cap (i.e. your players take bigger discounts) or you have to outspend the Warriors. He knew this team future salary cap situation when he bought the team.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'll reiterate....I really wish we could swing a deal for Markieff and Satoransky. That plugs 2 holes on the roster with expiring contracts.

joshuaao and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Agreed, Butler was the golden opportunity right when we needed it most. It's a shame we didn't have enough, or offer enough, to get him. Maybe make a run at Bradley Beal and Morris or Green to inject some new life into this team? Beal isn't Jimmy Butler, but he's young. If you're going to lock yourself in for a few years, there are worse "third stars" to hitch your fortunes to.

topfive likes this.
  7. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Miami had more leverage to not work with them because they could still sign him outright if they had to, but that was back when players could still get the higher raises and more years in a sign and trade vs signing with another team outright, so there was incentive for players.

Miami did gave a couple of draft picks, at least two. Houston because they didn't have cap space had to give enough players to at least match within the 120% range of the salary of Paul, so that meant that if he was going to Houston Rockets players were going out. It also couldn't be players the Clippers would have zero desire for, eg: Ryan Anderson.

8. tc0330

tc0330 Member

the only big bang i see right now that MIGHT salvage this season is trading EG and who/whatever else to Washington for Beal and Otto. use the rest of our picks/any reserves if possible for depth help/upgrades.

9. Abraham Rodriguez

Would be a good line up
    Cp3
    Harden
    Beal
    PJ
    Capela

Bench
    Ennis
    Green
    Clark
    Hartenstein

10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

So you know exactly how much profit he is earning? And I guess with all that profit he owes it to you? Two question, yes on both?

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

All though yes it would be better than our current who is our PG? I think we need a tall 6'9 or above 2 way forward like a PG or LeBron. Obviously we will have to settle with a less talented one but still would be a major upgrade.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know how much he is earning with the same reliability that you know how "expensive" the team is. He doesn't owe anyone anything, and no one owes it to him to not call him cheap until he demonstrates otherwise with action.

You are running away from your initial post where you insinuated that he has given up more than other owners, which is objectively false. I'm not the guy who's going to keep jumping to the next point for you to go in circles.

You publicly displayed that you're not aware of how these things are calculated, and I broke it down for you in my free time. I have no idea why you're mad.

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

How much the roster salary, which is what they are basing it around due to tax reasons is in fact publicly posted. Lets just pretend an owner of a restaurant has to use this certain type of oil or his product just doesn't taste right. It would be normal for him to say that oil is expensive. That is the context I am using it, I thought it was pretty clear that is why I didn't give a backstory.

14. mightybosstone

You're talking about adding $51 million in salary. That's impossible unless the Rockets throw in Harden, Paul or Capela.

15. riko

riko Member

Only Harden who is clearly the best offensive player with the combination of scoring and playmaking in the league should be put as not tradable . Even Paul needs to be looked at in a right deal. I think Morey wont make a big deal until he sees how Knight performs before deciding to make a move.

16. riko

riko Member

Nick Wright posing the possibility of Trevor returning via a buy out . Hints even the Rockets have an idea of the possibility.Morey has the entire MLE for a buy out possibility

joshuaao likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the New Freedom of Movement does not allow us to play tough Defense consistently and effectively, just in spurts, we can't touch other players that are going to the paint.

On the other end there are only a couple of players that is able to make use of this new rule.

There has to be an evaluation process going in the offseason next year.

joshuaao likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Infinity!

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gathered all the Stones for it?

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

First and foremost the guys on the roster need to play better. If they can’t play better than nothing can solve the issues the team has