1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FiveThirtyEight] How the Golden State Warriors are Breaking the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Zergling, Nov 24, 2015.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Harden also didn't complain about Barnes disrespecting his mother. McHale is old school and not the type to complain about reffing openly. Cuban would have been shouting about it at the top of his lungs if they were playing the Warriors in the playoffs, because he has no shame. Would that have really added any validity to the claim?

Anyway, I don't see what the rockets official response to the moving screens has to do with anything. They do it. It's against the rules. They get away with it. More power to them.

The post below from a while back has pretty good evidence that they do it, and its fairly obvious that it is a component of their system/strategy. And BTW, there's plenty of threads all over the internet about the Warriors moving screens.

Yes, the Warriors get away with a lot of moving screens, and the sky is blue. What is wrong with stating what your eyes can see?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=266182

2. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

GS doing this via motion, passing (and moving screens, I guess) instead of a megastar in the middle drawing double and triple teams is what's amazing about this squad. Comparing them to the 90s Rockets is like comparing cloud computing to 80386, as far as how the same task gets done.

3. Major

Major Member

Interesting to see how many people either didn't read or just ignored the point of the article. It's not about 3s and great defense.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Warriors have now set the NBA record for most three-pointers made in a half with 15. Golden State is shooting 78.9% from distance.</p>&mdash; GSWStats (@gswstats) <a href="https://twitter.com/gswstats/status/670446789733056512">November 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You can take Curry of that team and they will still be very very good. That's just how well they are coached and play together.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I'm not sure about that. They'd be a top 8 team in the west based on defense alone, but not championship contender.

7. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

That's not true. Quite a few games, GSW got into trouble when Curry sat on the bench, they had to put him back in, played extended minutes to get the wins.

He is the single most important factor for that team, as Green be the distant 2nd.

8. mingthething

mingthething Member

hmm how would curry's stats look in Rio 2016? I guess without the system, he'd get less touches and there'd be no more raining threes. i guess you can put the whole warriors squad minus Bogut in Rio, and get AD to play center if you want golden state basketball in Rio. Just like how Spain went Barcelona soccer for their 2010 World Cup victory.

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Currey 44.3%
    Thompson 40.2%
    Barnes 38.9%
    Green 42.6%
    Iguodala 48%
    Barbosa 46.9%
    Rush 47.4%
    Clark 43.8%

This is GSW perimeter players 3pt shooting percentages. It is better than most teams' perimeter players overall FG%.

10. sw847

sw847 Member

Serious question:

What would u guys say is gsw biggest weakness if they did have one? I was discussing this with a friend today and really can't name a single weakness for them. Previously you could take advantage of their interior defense, but now they front line is as good as they come. They got great wing players, deep bench and incredible team play. What is their weakness?

Ps. I don't feel that the board need another gsw thread, so I asked it here.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The only way the Warriors lose in the next 2-3yrs is if the NBA makes an actual effort to officiate the big man back into the game. What Stern and now Silver have done the past decade is to systematically kill off the dominant big man capable of winning a championship. They wanted more stars that the Average Joe could relate to, and now the Average Joe has won out.

[​IMG]

We need Yao Ming to come out and campaign for his endangered brethren, the NBA big men. They just get hacked and hacked, and nothing gets called on them except moving picks, loose ball fouls, and traveling.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is insane, do they have special shooting coaches or what is this about? Iggy's 3pt% is especially crazy when you think how he played for most years.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We really can't complain.

They drafted well and have a top top GM, way better than Morey

Morey had 3 chances to pick Draymond Green but he chose Lamb (which is ok since it turned to Harden), Royce busty White and Terrance Jones. The same Draymond who was laughed at by Parsons and CF is now their 2nd best player

Morey also had a chance to draft Kawhi but chose higher ceiling Mook Morris

You do have value in the mid first round and 2nd round. You just have to find the right coach and right system to make use of those qualities.

14. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I think it's just confidence, trust, and chemistry.

You can make the case that this team is the greatest of all time in terms of chemistry.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You just did the tinman summon, welp.
    *Braces for Clutch City presentation*

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Curry+Green+Ron Adams.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

For some reason, I think Golden State's offense slightly better than Phoenix's great offense. Phoenix had some really good players - Nash, Marion, Stoudemire, Barbosa, and JJ (briefly).

With Golden State, they not only have Curry,Thompson, Barnes, and AI. They have guys who can play in the post, like Bogut and Green.

Also, it's the heavy reliance on analytics and team ball movement. Where as with Phoenix, their offense was primarily triggered by Nash. Whereas with GS, Curry is as dangerous with the ball as he is without,while the entire team makes good, efficient passes and are very capable playmakers with or without the ball as well.

It really is a different animal from the Suns.

But the last part of your sentence closes the case, the Warriors can be erasers on defense. The Suns' problems were related to coaching, player's who weren't great defender, and getting trigger happy with trading baskets.

Having to play against Green, Iggy, and Barnes is not an easy task for a perimeter scorer.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

They could lose in Utah or the next night Charlotte. Several potential trap-games in there, especially those back-to-backs.

Though, I would put my money on them to make a clean 7 game sweep than bet against them not doing it.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

I don't want to take anything away from them, but man it seems like they play scrub teams every game...What's up with that?