1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five Reasons Rockets should not give up now!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Apr 1, 2006.

1. littlefish_220

1. Mathematically, we are not out yet. The team needs to fight hard even though there is only the slimmest hope left. If Rockets don't play with such mentality, you guys never see the 13 points/35 seconds miracle by T-mac.

2. The rule of lotto pick: our winning games are 10 or more than New York, Bobacats, Toronto, and Portland, which means we have little chance to win them in lotto pick competition. Remember the rule of NBA is that you can only get a little more possibility when you are positioned at 5th worst than 10th worst. I don't think it deserves a tanking.

3. Respect fans: Yes, many fans want a high pick and a new start from next year. But still, there are thousands of fans in the game and much more in front of TV every game night. It is easy for you tanking fans to skip watching, but for fans who are watching, we just ask for an entertaining game, playoff or not.

4. Young players need to grow up in a REAL competition: Head has improved a lot since he overccame the rookie wall; Swift has a good chance to gel with team in the remaining season. We can't afford any game of next season for them to adjust and develop, and now is the perfect time. And I think you can only develop players in a real competition with 100% effort, clutch shot chance, and all the hustle plays.

5. Not JVG: For a coach who tends to take a timeout with 1 minute left and 10 points above, JVG will never have any idea of tanking for a higher pick. That is the reality. In my opinion, he will stay here for at least one more season, so just give up tanking idea and follow our coach.

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I don't want them to give up, I just want them to lose. :p

3. maopaopao

maopaopao Member

don't give up!

4. Zach Kang

Zach Kang Member

Don't give up just keep losing until the end of the season.

5. Aries_Tim

Aries_Tim Member

keep losing .pls
    only reason is enough
    champion

6. Holy Cow

Holy Cow Member

Sometimes, I wonder what the definition of "fans" is ... :rolleyes:

I'm for winning games NO MATTER WHAT!

7. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

the rockets are in between a rock and a hard place....winning doesn't really help them with the draft obviously, but losing isn't going to really improve their prospects for a higher pick....they should just play hard every night and try to win, after all they are getting paid millions to play a game

8. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Just play hard and let things fall into place... If it was meant to be, it will happen... whether thats the playoffs or a top 3 pick :D

9. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i agree on you on this one. i dont get it how other so-called "fans" support tanking. we should all support the team and hope them to win any game, no matter if were lottery bound or not. we still have a slim chance in the playoffs, but for me, this last few games the rocs are goin to play are for pride and respect more than anything else. tanking is just disrespect to the fans and to the game of basketball itself.

10. panolover

panolover New Member

I would like to add another reason:

6: Yao needs learn how to lead a team to play, to build up his confidence as a spiritual leader, to play a little bit selfish sometimes. If the teams keeps losing like hell, it's not good for Yao's growth. The rest of games without Tmac provides Yao a platform to show his leader's ability just like what he did in the Chinese national team in Olympic.

11. UberDork

UberDork Member

Agreed. Winning is going to help Yao build confidence that he can lead a team.

12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

7. Because if the Rockets actually do tank, what are all the Rookies going to talk about?

My advice to everyone is take it one game at a time; ignore the cumulative wins and losses, and enjoy the team for what it is; a well coached team (to a fault, actually) that goes out and competes with a motely group of cast-offs and an emerging, genial giant who hasn't quit on his team, despite the adversity of injuries, and not focus on what it lacks; veteran leadership (pretty ironic on a group once called "the dinosaurs") and athleticism at every position.

Keep the mental masturbation about getting Gay or getting personal with Morrison's p*rn mustache to yourselves, or at least in the draft forum, or at least collaborate in a single thread where everyone can do it together.

13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

It's kind of $tup!d to talk about tanking for this team.

As it is right now, the Rockets have 2 (TWO) Legitamate franchise players. Usually you tank to get one of the 3 franchise players reserved in each draft. (Sometimes there are more sometimes none) But it's safe to say that usually there are 3 franchise calibur players that come out each year.

What the Rockets need now are guys who are reliable shooters. Guys who do the little things on the every other night that propel teams to championship calibur levels. Dynamic ROLE PLAYERS!!!

The Rockets don't need to tank. They just have to play as hard as they can, because if Yao beleives in himself, then the Rockets just have won the lottery again. And when McGrady comes back next year, they will be talking about winning 60 games again. "Let's let the Championship talk begin next season right now"

If the Rockets go out an tank, they might as well kiss the first half of next year good bye!!!!! It will take them that long to just start winning again.

14. user

user Member

One or two higher lottery position will not help as much as better team chemistry. Besides, the lower pick you have could very well out performce the 2 or 3 picks before him. Anything is a gambling outside the top 3 picks.

I'm afraid the chemistry build up at the end of the season could be completely destroyed by the make over during the summer. The Darling Money guy was brought in to make trades around the 2 superstars. Apparently, Les had lost all his trust on CD's signing ability after this season.