1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fitness Activity Tracker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Happy Sunday ladies and gents,

I am interested in purchasing a fitness activity tracker, but there are many to choose from. Between Fitbit, Jawbone, Nike, Magellen, Garmin and a plethora of others I am not sure which to consider. Also, there is no time like black Friday to get good deals. As of now I have been using my Galaxy walking mate and I love it but I want to upgrade. I want something that is accurate in calculating my activity, calories burned etc. Many of these don't have a heart monitor and without it, how accurate can they be as far as calorie loss? I wanted to get the collective experience of the BBS on this issue and also feel free to pass good deals along in this thread as well.

Thanks

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Microsoft Band is the only one with a built-in heart rate monitor, off hand. It's a pretty nice device and even detects UV index, which seams a little excessive but it has 9 sensors in total. It's pretty cool.

I sold mine because I didn't want to have my email and txt messages on my write (I know, kinda counter intuitive for most folks these days).

Personally, heart rate monitor is not too useful. I'm a long distance runner and have been for many decades. I inherently, as most people do, know when my heart rate is too low or high when exercising.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I use a basic stand alone heart rate monitor (garmen ft7) and I've really enjoyed it.

Like krosfyah said, you kind of know what general heart rate you're at, but I have really enjoyed knowing exactly where I'm at...which is funny because in the past didn't see the point in them.

I logged exercise before by using the Lose It app and the differences in calories burned was material.

4. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Check out Withings Pulse
    http://www.withings.com/us/withings-pulse.html

It has a heart rate, blood oxygen level, and sleep monitor among other more generic things like calorie tracking, step tracking, etc...

I did some research a year ago and this product seemed the best out of all available back then. My wife has been using it for a year now and loves it. Works great with Android (some of the devices we looked at were IOs only)

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

My only experience is with UP Jawbone 24. I posted a review here not so long ago about it. It's basically a pedometer and sleep tracker with a pretty good mobile phone app interface. I was pretty pissed off when I wrote the review because the battery died on it after only two months. I swore I wouldn't get another one. Then, my brother bought me another one out of the blue and just shipped it to my house. He got a two year warranty on it so I could just swap it if it dies again. But, I haven't been this gung ho about it this time around with my steps. The first time around...I was 10,000 steps a day for two months and feeling good. Then, it died and zapped my momentum along with it. At least it taught me what 10,000 steps felt like and how much I needed to walk to get to that amount. I'm wearing it now. I still like the product as long as it works. I just need to get back into it because it let me down the first time around. It has a lot of built in app stuff for tracking food intake, workouts, etc. . I haven't really used any of that. I still like the mobile app interface, though. It seems like a good motivator for about $130. I would definitely get a two year replacement warranty on it, though. I still don't trust its longevity. The one I have now has been working for a while now, though, so I may have just had a lemon the first time around. I used the Losing It app for a while to track food intake...before I ever got a fitness band. I think this integrates somewhat with that app and other apps.

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

figured i'd bump this thread rather than start a new one...

looking into possibly getting a fitbit...seems to me the charge HR is the preferred/most recommended these days. is that the way to go?

the flex looks like it could be pretty good since i'm looking for basic functionality...but charge auto sleep modes so thats nice.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have a FitBit Surge. Got it for $70. notbad.jpg

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

For that kind of money I would look into a the polar v400 or sony smartwatch 3. I have the polar and it rocks. I got it for less than 200 bucks and it has gps.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I only wear it because work gave us all one two weeks ago. I'm on week two and I will be quitting after week two. It's just another worthless novelty item.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Will you sell it?

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've been rocking the Microsoft Band since November, and love it. I've become addicted to the email, SMS, Facebook and Twitter notifications.

The stand-alone GPS has been great with the running and cycling apps too.

13. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I got a free Fitbit from work in Sept. 2013. Nothing fancy about it, but it does help with motivation. I average about 15,000 steps a day. To date, I've logged 8,307,872 steps - closing in on 10 million.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The microsoft band does look cool.

15. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Just got the Fitbit Surge yesterday. Anyone enjoying this product?

A lot of my friends use it and compete over the app. Is it a good, accurate product?

17. conquistador#11

can someone do 200 jumping jacks and tell me how many calories they exactly burned?
    thanks in advance.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

50 .

19. conquistador#11

thanks!:grin: I got 60 but some were claiming 100 calories per 100 jumping jacks, which just seems way off.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exercise really doesn't burn that many calories.

Run 3 miles and that's 300 calories.

A bag of chips blows that up.