1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

First time ever in N.B.A. no Lakers Celtics or Knicks in playoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pocketrocket81, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

New Yorkers can watch the Brooklyn Nets. LA can root for the Clippers, who are very good this year. Boston was, and always will be a Red Sox baseball city. The Celtics have not been popular there since the Larry Bird era, when they had some White players on the team.

2. Steve_Francis_rules

Having lived in Boston during the Pierce/Garnett/Allen era, I can say you are definitely wrong about the Celtics not having been popular since Bird.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

People in LA mostly seem to hate the Clippers. Yankee fans supposedly hate the Mets and vice versa. Met a guy in Vegas from NYC who repped both. He said you can't do that in NY. Same applies for Houston-born Titans and Cowboy fans who hate the Texans. Never understood how fans could hate teams from their own city.

Yep. Boston loves their teams.

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

not even the NBA can rig the lakers to get into the playoffs with that roster

5. YourSecretLover

knicks dont deserve to be in the same sentence as the lakers and celtics

6. slestack11

slestack11 Member

There's a lot of Lakers fans in LA and pretty much in every city. When the Clippers play at home vs the Lakers, even this year, it's in front of a mostly Lakers crowd. But for a lot of teams, when the Lakers come to town, it's mostly Laker fans. Pau Gasol was surprised, when he joined the team after being traded from Grizzlies, that every road game was more than 50% Lakers fans. I was at the Dodgers game a few weeks ago and CP3 was booed when he was participating in some trivia contest.

That said, there is a rather large population in LA and a huge roaming fan base that don't care about sports unless there's a local team that is a championship contender. This roaming population was all over the Angels when they won the World Series and the Kings when they won the Stanley Cup. I have full confidence that, if the Clippers make the Western Conference Finals, the fans will come out of the woodworks. The Lakers fans will be hating still, but their hate will be drowned out by the random non-sports fans that board the Clippers bandwagon.

New York is sort of similar because there are a lot of people that could care less about sports. Although there are a lot of hardcore Knicks fans, I think New York is a Yankees town for the most part. If the Nets make the Eastern Conference Finals, I'm not sure how many bandwagon fans there will be...not as many as the Clippers will get...but I bet there will be some. I bet there will be a lot of people that will just then realize there is a team in Brooklyn. And there will be many in Manhattan that will say it's too far of a commute to see a game in Brooklyn.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

I hate the Knicks as much as the next guy, but y'all forget quickly how good the Knicks were prior to the new millennium. They're one of the older franchises in the league and have had their share of moments and legends play for them (even if they only have 2 championships).

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Stern must be rolling in his grave.

9. pippsux

pippsux Member

Oh really, didn't even notice.

10. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

The NBA is moving to the point where it is not dependent on the success of big franchises but it isn't quite at the NFL's level in that respect. This development is an aberration but has not been good for the league. It affects gate receipts and ticket resale values across the league when these teams aren't competitive.

11. afk

afk Member

Oh boo hoo.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Clippers is the biggest market in the PlayOffs...

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The nba lol instead of the Lakers the clippers get in and instead of the Knicks the Nets get in...

14. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Basketball and football are very different. I'm from LA so I can't really understand the rest of middle America, but NBA is very bling bling and middle American football fans still have white quarterbacks to cheer for. Fact is that there's no hope for white players in the NBA outside of Kevin Love and I just don't see middle America supporting a sport that is dominated by mostly black athletes.

The synergy between NBA players and rappers push them all to want to do it in front of big money and big cities. Yes, most superstar players can live in LA or NY even if they don't play there, but it is so much more convenient if they are there all year round when they aren't on a road trip.

1 person likes this.
  15. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Technically, the Brooklyn Nets are the biggest market in the playoffs. The Clippers currently don't own the LA market until they get to the Western Conference Finals. They haven't proven anything yet, but once they get there, the roaming LA population that doesn't care about sports will start supporting them.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Don't worry guys, I've evacuated.

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

We'll see where Wiggins, Parker, Exum or Embid land first...

18. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

The Knicks are irrelevant to this factoid. You could just as well say Cleveland, Phoenix, Denver, Utah or Orlando.

This just happens to be the second time ever that both the Celtics and the Lakers miss the post-season. The first one was 1994.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Does anyone care about the Knicks missing the playoffs? I think even New Yorkers are used to them being a lauging stock at this point.

20. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Your knowledge is incredously superficial and misguided. Isn't the Lakers season over?