1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First thing I notice when Ming is in the game.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kidrock8, Oct 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For the last time, anyone care to tackle the oh so tough question that I posed in my first post?

Thank you...

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

SA Rocket, that really pisses me off about the Spurs fans at the game. It's one thing for players to initiate a player in the league. And it's not like fans don't hate on players. But you ought to have a reason other than the guy plays for another team. If it were a player like Dream who was always kicking their butt, that would be something. But this is a rook, who hasn't done anything, who hasn't mouthed off or asked to be traded (a la Stevie). Jeering someone like that is just sad. I look forward to years of Yao shutting their traps.

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Jeez people. Aren't you glad Yao played? He'd probably do better in his 1st game if Rudy had kept him on the bench until he'd had 10 practices in (with a day off maybe) and got insignificant minutes in the first 5 regular season games. Admittedly Yao's not familiar with the speed of the NBA game, and this lateral quickness, or lack thereof isn't going to judgeable until he's used to the pace of the game. And coaching and drills will improve that anyway.
    You want Stoudamire or maybe Gooden? Then the Suns and Grizz dearly wish you were the Rockets GM. The instant gratification and individual morning bragging rights don't mean a thing in the NBA. Yao did close to what you should have expected under the circumstances. I personally liked the 2 off. fouls trying to establish position, whether the calls were justified or not. I want to see Yao hungry and firey. He should have enormous growing pains, the international physical play is very different than the NBA. But I've seen so many guys write of Nachbar after a few preseason games, I shouldn't be surprised that people are posting as they are. I'll say this, even the dumbass national press will have more snap than some of you here. I do hope the admins. are keeping a scrapbook.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

kidrock8, talking down to people isn't the way to get people to respond to your post.

I completely agree. David Robinson is probably the strongest center in the league outside of Shaq. The reason David Robinson, when healthy, is the best defender against Shaq is because David Robinson can match power with Shaq. Yet Robinson was having all he can handle moving Ming. That's a great sign.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I would rather them not respond, than to get into a "Ming sucks, no he doesn't!" rant.

6. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Sorry kidrock,I know you mean what changes when he comes on the floor,etc.

But,being there,the "first thing I noticed when he came in the game" was the pathetic greeting of boos by the Spurs fans. Nice way to welcome a decent kid to America SA. Real class.

Other than that, the Spurs seemed to immediately go out of their way to try to muscle him,more than they were doing with Cato,Griff,and MoT before that. I guess they were feeling him out. He did a good job hanging in there,though.

BTW guys,something I think you'll notice when you see him live in a game......dude is NOT a beanpole! Yao looks just as solid as everybody else,just way bigger. Just wait and see for yourselves.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

NIKEstrad thought Yao had a real psychological (as well as physical) impact on the Spurs with his presence. Anyone else get some sense of the FG % of SA when he was in?

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Preying Mantis?

I actually like that nickname... :cool:

A 7'5" Preying Mantis is NO pushover! :eek:

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Thank you for the 1st or 2nd real response...

I know that teams will try to intimidate him with hard fouls, because of his #1 draft pick status, and all the hype that he comes in with.

But, I'm wondering how they will defend defensively. As in, will they be content to play him man-to-man, as he isn't an inside banger. Will they leave him open to shoot jumpers? Will they try to throw in some zone? Will they put a SF on him, if he's hanging in the perimeter?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's talking about Elbows at Dallas.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The "Praying Mantis" is Shawn Bradley's nickname and he is a pushover.

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Wow! They give bad players nick names?!

That's news...

"And the Praying Mantis missing a dunk!"
    "And the Praying Mantis falls!"
    "And the Praying Mantis turns the ball over!"
    "Rough night for THE Preying Mantis! Hopefully
    he'll play better next game."
    "Be sure and pick up your Preying Mantis
    bobble head on your way out of the arena."

Sorry, but I've never heard Bradley called that.

Must be a Dallas thing.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's a clutchcity.net thing. :)

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yep, the one for pushing off was just weak.

15. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

i agree. francis and stodumire would have put on a dunking show if they were on the same team.:cool:

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

kidrock, I know this is a copout answer, but with regard to defending Yao, I think it depends a lot on how our guys adjust to him. If one of our key rotation guys seeing significant minutes with Yao on the court can't shoot well (say, Cato, just for heck), I think they'd rather get the ball out of Yao's hands and into Cato's. Someone said that San Antonio was trying to swarm Yao to see if he could pass out. Since it sounds like Yao's passing is one of his best and most NBA-ready skills, hopefully that won't work out. I think the physical play is only the beginning, not just because Yao's a rookie, a #1 draft pick and everyone's gunning for him, but also because physical strength is one of his known weaknesses right now. I think Yao will continue to see doubles in the post however, since he's still adjusting and may be less effective immediately either in scoring or passing. Coaches like Rudy may also be willing to give up the open mid-range, perimeter jumper from a guard than to let Yao get single-coverage in the post, since at least half the time, Yao may be able to have his way with the opposing center even early on.

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i love it, if other teams want to double team Yao Ming, than Mobley or Francis will not. And they are good shooters, and drivers. Mobley and francis need to be double teamt. so how can you double team 3 players?when te other players of that team are god shooters(Rice Taylor Griffin etc)

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Okay, I'm not an X's and O's kind of theorist, but did anybody notice that 6 points in 13 minutes is the equivalent of 20 points in 48 minutes? I think Yao Ming had a pretty fair first game.

19. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

The Spurs didn't attack the basket as aggressively with Yao Ming in there. As soon as he left the game they started taking it right inside. On offense they started cheating weakside to double him. Give Rudy time to see how teams are going to play us with Yao Ming in the game. We need to also give Yao Ming a chance to get rested and learn the offense. Basically, we were playing 4 on 5 on offense with Yao kinda just in there either high or low post. He wasn't really running plays. The guards never threw Yao Ming a pass on a pick and roll, and he was open a couple times. With time, adjustments and practice, we are going to have a really excellent frontcourt.

One thing I noticed about rebounding was the Spurs really tried to block Yao Ming off and the rebound would go to one of the Rockets who were crashing the boards around him. They really made an effort to adjust the style play to Yao Ming and shut him down. I thought at their own expense. Once Yao gets acclimated and rested, and the team gets used to him, the Rockets will be able to exploit this advantage.

I think it would have helped a lot to have KT, TMo and Rice to help wear them down a bit more. Rice's outside shot might have opened it up a bit for MT, EG and Yao Ming.

Boki and Tierre did OK, but they really shouldn't be getting significant minutes. They are just not main rotation players. I haven't seen this Boki finish strong to the basket yet. We missed Mooch, KT, TMo and Rice.

Anyone doubt still that we can hang with the Spurs? I mean Yao is not even part of what he will be very soon, with Mooch, Rice, KT and TMo out, and we still had a chance to win using a third string point guard and third string 3 for significant stretches. :cool:

#59 ricerocket, Oct 24, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

kidrock,
    I think it's safe to say that other teams will definitely be double teaming at least on YAo Ming. He is too good of a shooter to leave alone in single coverage once he adjusts to the team.
    He makes a difference just being in the game.

At first SA kept goin at him like they were testing him.But once he changed a couple of shots, they backed off and started shooting midrangers. I think it all comes down to his need for adjustment to the pace and intensity of the pro game. By all accounts he is a fast learner and we should see marked improvement from him by the first game of the season.