1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Pizza Hut, Now Twinkies maker Hostess laying off people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BetterThanEver, Nov 12, 2012.

1. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

2. Nook

Nook Member

I had to put my dog down... I blame Obama.

3. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

sorry about that.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Corporations are people too ya know.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why don't you just come out and say, "My username is WorseThanEver, and I am a racist turd"?

It's a shame, this. Even my otherwise very-bright, very-promising nephew of 16 years is being infected by my evangelical sister and brother-in-law's attitudes.

Among their Christmas cookies last year was an "Obama cookie", very dark icing and thick lips and all. He showed it to me as if thinking I'd laugh like the rest of the Cypress-area far-right'ers who would visit them. I had to remind him that his aunt, my wife, was black (actually half, but still, so is Obama), and, oh, by the way, she's standing right there.

But call a racist a racist these days and you mostly get a shrug or a bigtexx-ish comment like, "Hey, I like the blacks."

6. ling ling

ling ling Member

It's Mitt Romney's fault.

"Earlier Friday, Hostess Brands announced that it would be closing, which the company said was precipitated by a workers’ strike.

Trumka’s comparing Hostess to Brain comes after an election in which former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney was criticized for co-founding Bain Capital.

The union leader took the workers’ the side, saying Hostess’ leaders and policies were “wrecking America.”

7. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Someone will pick up the Hostess Brand name in Bankruptcy Court and begin producing them in China or Guatemala.

So the pension legacy costs (and debt added on by bad financiers) kill a great American brand. Pensions are a thing of the past as very few companies are willing to take the risks in a volatile financial market and people living longer than ever.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Hooray for the free market!

9. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

f u unionz.........i h8 all of u......jus go ghet a betta job......dont sink da hole hostess

10. nef2005

nef2005 Member

I'd hate unions too if the local teachers union had failed me like they have you.

1 person likes this.
  11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

1,800 employees are employed by Hostess. They will now be 99ers living like the 47%.

Obama and Michelle taking down junk food companies and laying off people. Papa John's is on the Barry Bankruptcy Watchlist.

12. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Unions will be the death of companies. It's about compromise. Exactly how much should you be paid to make pastries? It's not like you have to go to college to learn how.

So the whole country should go without baked goods because union idiots have some dumb reason to strike. Shut the place down and reopen non-union.

Hate to see them out of work, but if you want to be greedy accept the choice you made.

I don't know the specifics. But I don't believe their pensions were being taken away. I thought I read somewhere they were gonna suspend adding to the pensions for a while.

MANY more layoffs and shut downs will be coming. Reap it.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If you don't know the specifics then why are you assigning blame? Is this a variation of Romnesia you're posting here?

14. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

It's clear who's to blame here.

You should be glad you have a job. Instead you want to strike when you don't get what you want. If you don't like what's going on you go find a better job. It's just a shame that 14,000 non union hands had to go too.

This is what should have happened to the chitbag teachers in Wisconsin. They should have all been fired and new teachers should have been hired, non union of course.

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Yeah, you should be happy you have a job. You should be happy that the mighty rich men deigned to even glance in your direction. You should be so happy that you just get down on your knees and start sucking the dicks of all the wealthy men who have graced you with your low wages. Just start sucking. Suck it all day and night. Suck it until they have you arrested. Then you will show them how eternally worshipful you are for their charitable job offer to poor, dick-sucking, pitiful you.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You admit to not knowing the facts and yet it's clear who's to blame. It sounds as if you're simply against the concept of unions and all the gains they have made for worker's rights, workplace safety, and the benefits many millions of people enjoy. Okay, thanks.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

what is the freaking big deal in this story? Answer: there is not one to be found.

Yeah, hostess makes a universally recognized product that is about as unhealthy as you can get. They don't even let protein anywhere near their products, and we have twin national epidemics of obesity and diabetes.

So people are finally buying less of these products (in favor of "powerbars" and what-not, I would imagine, even though those often have just as much sugar, but I digress.)

Then hostess says they have to cut wages. The workers say "no, we will picket and stuff." So they picket and stuff.

And hostess leadership says **** this ****, we are just going to shut it all down. We can't break even anyway, probably even giving out crappy wages. We would have had to make our own employees eat non-comped twinkees all day every day just to break even. Game over.

This is what happens in the real world of business. Big deal. Did we blame the POTUS when "members only" jackets went out of style?

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

19. Major

Major Member

So in other words, you lied earlier when you said it should be a compromise?

20. Buck Turgidson

This **** seriously makes my brain hurt. Another day, another paper-thin "news article".