1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Concert Experience

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jan 21, 2011.

1. droxford

droxford Member

That's what it feels like to be a parent. Christmas regains its magic. Theme parks, which turn into money pits as you get older, once again glimmer with excitement as your kids experience them.

Then we all grow old and die.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Cant say I blame him, that album was TERRIBLE. I guarantee you I was most likely as wasted as he was. ;)

It really is a shame about them allowing DeYoung to spearhead the musical direction the once great band had taken by that time, see the bad rep they get with the younger generation(see the response from plcmts17...typical) because of it?

When they played their harder edged stuff, they were one of the more powerful bands out there...Miss American and Suite Madam Blue are still in my top 10 fav songs ever.

To anyone who cant understand why folks like us go on about how good Styx was, listen to their stuff from Equinox to Paradise Theater...dont judge them based on the crapfest from Kilroy on.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

that show bored me so badly, I went backstage and found a secluded place to nap while waiting on the load-out.

Two of the most over-rated bands of their eras....and the damn load-out took us 36 hours...I was beat by the time I got home...all them damn tvs had to individually taken down and packed...waht a b****

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i remember driving around SE Missouri in '72-'73; late at night you could often pick up WLS out of Chicago, which had a clear channel. They played "Lady" for a good 18 months on heavy rotation before it became a national hit.

IIRC, the track was originally released on a different label, and was basically the reason the band got signed by A&M.

Similar band, same time, but never went as far, was Head East. their first album, Flat as a Pancake, still holds up, IMO. i caught them at SIU in East St. Louis as part of the Mississippi River Festival. They warmed up for Blood, Sweat, & Tears, which was a little like having Joni Mitchell open for Grand Funk, but they rocked. took me two year to track down their first album, finally found it in a Peaches in Atlanta.

5. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Oh yeah, Styx definitely has some good stuff. Renegade is up their with my favorite songs. And they still sound pretty good live today IMO. I didn't see them in their heyday but I saw them in 09 and enjoyed it. And they are coming to that Nutty Jerry's place in Winnie next month, might go for the heck of it (and ive been wanting to check out the nutty jerry's place)

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Where it is at is the front row! You see all that stuff of them coming out early. Then, before you know it, Geddy is right in front of you staring and smiling. That was surreal as it gets...to be so close like that an entire show (R30 tour). Talk about going nuts! I was partying it up with Ged in my face for three hours. It is so hard to get front row but being up front with no one in front of you is thrilling.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Surfguy again.

:grin:

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Not including rodeo concerts and stuff like that, my first real rock & roll concert experience was Motley Crue on the Dr. Feelgood tour 89-90 at the Summit. I was in 8th grade and a metal head to the core. Still am, in fact.

But this was something I'd never seen before....I couldn't BELIEVE all the scantily-clad hot chicks who were EVERYWHERE. In all the concerts I've been to since, nothing has come close. The bathroom lines were ridiculous. Dudes were pissing in the sink, people were doing coke, and most of the stalls were occupied by rock & roll groupie sluts and leathered-out biker-looking guys. I'd never seen chicks in the men's room before.

It was an experience and it was awesome.

\m/ >_< \m/

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I went to the "Home Sweet Home" tour before that at The Summit. It was a total circus and everything you said about your show applied to that show as well. The most crazy drug use I've seen at a concert was Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" in Houston. I mean...when you got multiple guys each with a tray with a pile of weed on it and a bong right next to it...I think you've gone a little overboard. I was upper prom up high and the band turns on the house lights. Craziness everywhere.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lynus302

Yeah I wish I was older for a show like that rather that....I was trying to be cool but I'm sure my eyes were as big as pie plates with all the debauchery around me.

It was awesome.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I was at that deep purple show. I sat down and this old hippie said, "aren't you a little young to be here?" and I said, "aren't you a little old?" When the lights went down and I passed him my joint he said. Well I guess you are old enough to be here.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

kool and the gang at the rodeo ftw

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

no, it was the who, billy squier, and if you can guess the 3rd band, you are truly a concert fanatic!

14. Lynus302

It is really, really, really, really, really, really, reallly SAD that this thread isn't longer.

You youngsters have **** taste in music.

Sad, really.

15. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I went to so many concerts back in the days before internet and ipods.

First - Alice Cooper, 1975
    Best - Texxas Jam, 1985? With Rush, Ozzy, .38 Special
    Weirdest - Tony Carey at Cardi's 1984. Five of us were at the end of a long day at the beach, many mind-altering pharmaceuticals taken, and the place was almost empty. We were right on the stage, and could see Tony run off stage after every other song and do a line a coke that was waiting for him. We kept screaming for him to take us backstage, but he just smiled at us and kept on playing.

16. bucket

bucket Member

30 foot fall at Fitz's. I was 11. I got kind of banged up.

17. Behad

I was at that Triumph/Foghat show. And you are correct, it was one of the scariest concert events I went to. There was a LONG intermission between bands, and a gang of kids were stealing t-shirts and beating up any who resisted.

18. Behad

I was at the first and the third show! And if memory serves me, Brian Adams opened for them. That same weekend, Brian Adams played at Rockfest, and I saw him there as well.

I cannot believe how many of the shows mentioned in this thread I attended.

19. Behad

My sister went to Led Zeppelin in the early seventies. She wouldn't take me.

20. Behad

Funny story - I think it was a Pink Floyd concert at the astrodome. I'm in the bathroom, waiting in line, when some dude walks in and screams "Pick a sink!" He whips it out, turns toward the sinks....and a cop is standing there. Dude is scrambling to get his dick back in his pants. Everyone is laughing at him.