1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Firm place to stand outside solar system

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This statement caught my eye.

"Scientists have long figured that if life begins on a planet, it needs a solid surface to rest on, so finding one elsewhere is a big deal."

QUESTION: Didn't life start in the ocean? Wouldn't that make on conclude that a liquid state was more necessary.

Rocket River

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090916/ap_on_sc/us_sci_rocky_planet

Found: Firm place to stand outside solar system
    Buzz up!230 votes Send
    Email IM Share
    Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Twitter Yahoo! Bookmarks Print AP – This image provided by the European Southern Observatory Wednesday Sept. 16, 2009 shows an artist rendition … By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein, Ap Science Writer – 54 mins ago
    WASHINGTON – Astronomers have finally found a place outside our solar system where there's a firm place to stand — if only it weren't so broiling hot.

As scientists search the skies for life elsewhere, they have found more than 300 planets outside our solar system. But they all have been gas balls or can't be proven to be solid. Now a team of European astronomers has confirmed the first rocky extrasolar planet.

Scientists have long figured that if life begins on a planet, it needs a solid surface to rest on, so finding one elsewhere is a big deal.

"We basically live on a rock ourselves," said co-discoverer Artie Hatzes, director of the Thuringer observatory in Germany. "It's as close to something like the Earth that we've found so far. It's just a little too close to its sun."

So close that its surface temperature is more than 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit, too toasty to sustain life. It circles its star in just 20 hours, zipping around at 466,000 mph. By comparison, Mercury, the planet nearest our sun, completes its solar orbit in 88 days.

"It's hot, they're calling it the lava planet," Hatzes said.

This is a major discovery in the field of trying to find life elsewhere in the universe, said outside expert Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution. It was the buzz of a conference on finding an Earth-like planet outside our solar system, held in Barcelona, Spain, where the discovery was presented Wednesday morning. The find is also being published in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

The planet is called Corot-7b. It was first discovered earlier this year. European scientists then watched it dozens of times to measure its density to prove that it is rocky like Earth. It's in our general neighborhood, circling a star in the winter sky about 500 light-years away. Each light-year is about 6 trillion miles.

Four planets in our solar system are rocky: Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.

In addition, the planet is about as close to Earth in size as any other planet found outside our solar system. Its radius is only one-and-a-half times bigger than Earth's and it has a mass about five times the Earth's.

Now that another rocky planet has been found so close to its own star, it gives scientists more confidence that they'll find more Earth-like planets farther away, where the conditions could be more favorable to life, Boss said.

"The evidence is becoming overwhelming that we live in a crowded universe," Boss said.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You know this but you aren't thinking it. The ocean just covers up the rocky plates below it. Our planet is still covered by a solid surface.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly what I was going to say, only you said it better.

DD

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One day, perhaps hundreds of thousands of years away (if we make it), we should be able to just move that planet further away from its sun somehow, no?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question: Is a solid surface necessary for liquid to form/exist?
    I don't think it is.

I don't think it would be crazy to think among those gaseous balls
    that some liquid state exists.

I mean. in the transition from Gas to Solid . . . Liquid is in the middle right.

Gas --> Liquid --> Solid

So if you have a Gaseous Liquid situation . . .I would be one to beleive life could exist there. . . . .without the necessity of a solid surface.
    Esp when you consider microorganisms.

Rocket River

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not a scientist so I can't answer you. I was just pointing out that life beginning in the ocean doesn't dispute the need for solid ground as there is in fact solid earth at the ocean floor.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

by the same token. Solid earth , happening to be present, does not prove that it *needed* to be there.

Rocket River

8. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

The exception to this rule being sublimation and deposition.

Solid <---> Gas

Even in the Miller-Urey experiments, the liquids were contained using a solid base (obviously, as this is how our physics works). The elements used in the reactions were liquids and gases, the basic need for a solid foundation, even if it served no function in the process itself, somewhere perhaps shouldn't be overlooked.

But then again, who are we to superimpose our abiogenesis on to other planetary systems?

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

This is what I never understood even when I was young. Scientists always speak of being open-minded and looking for answers, yet most only thought life could exist in almost perfect Earth-like conditions. It just never seemed reasonable to rule out other life on other systems because they weren't Earth. Granted it is our only current model, but even here life exists in places we didn't think were possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if we found life in our own solar system on a place like Europa, Enceladas, Titan or somewhere else. I can only hope it'll be in my life.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unless I mistaken
    I have read where reactions etc where done inside strong Magnetic Fields
    [maybe nuclear]
    That being the case
    I would think that strong gravitational field could serve as a solid enough foundation

Rocket River

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this rocky planet is still liquid. They said it is the lava planet, so their rock is liquid. Another planet in the same solar system, with the same make-up but further from it's sun, would be cooler and actually solid.

Just guessing from the article posted.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Two responses:

1. They found Mustafar

2. That's no moon.

1 person likes this.
  13. droxford

droxford Member

This isn't the first terrestrial planet discovered outside our solar system, though, is it?

Aren't Gliese-581-c and OGLE-05-169L-b both terrestrial planets?
    &nbsp;

14. MadMax

what boring names for planets.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I read it as Ogle Gisele. Which is what I do and is not boring at all.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. MadMax

rep points for you. clever! she's ridiculous.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Even if life DID start in water, the eggs of those organisms (or the cells to be multiplied into genetically-transformed beings) had to have been laid on a surface. :eek:

18. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

There it is!

19. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Whoever doesn't believe that there isn't life elsewhere is ignorant. Just because we needed carbon, water, oxygen, and a solid surface doesn't mean that life can't exist without these elsewhere. We know only how "our" evolution
    transpired and deem it as necessary. Us trying to prove it without means of any type of realistic transportation is silly, but what else can they do at this point?

20. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    NERDS!!!

j/k - this is fascinating. ;)