1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but that O line didn't matter when it was Watson throwing the ball and the secondary wouldn't have been getting burned so bad if the front 7 was intact.....and yes, when you are missing 4 of the front 7, I attribute lack of pass rush to injuries.

When it comes to Savage starting, based on what we saw in preseason, it's completely defensible....but clearly still the wrong choice given how much Watson progressed in such a short time. I don't think anyone could have predicted he'd progress that much that fast outside of making that prediction on blind faith so I don't blame BOB for making that call.

So when it comes to depth, I think that is something that needs to be addressed, but if the Texans played the whole season without losing key players, they are a Super Bowl contender as we speak.

No team can lose the number of important players the Texans have lost this season and compete.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. raining threes

After 11 years people are still making excuses for Rick.

When he's here for 20 years those same people will be making the same excuses.

texian, craigharmann and J.R. like this.
  4. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Compete is a very shaky definition. Did they show up with players on the field? Yes. That would be the most basic definition of compete. Were they in a position to win most of those games? Not really. Sure, they beat the Bengals. But the Bengals aren’t much better than the Texans. Did you think there was a shot against the 49ers? The Jaguars? Heck, they’ll put players on the field on Sunday, but I don’t think they’ll be in any position to win. If there was depth, even with the injuries, they might end up pulling out 8-8....which would be a huge accomplishment. 4-12.....that’s deserved.

5. texian

texian Member

Yeah, no. Lost me right there.

Yep. It's kind of amazing.

The Teflon is real.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL I don't doubt I lost you, I was talking about football after all.

It's so weird hearing about depth when the Texans set an NFL record for most players to see the field in a single season.....no team in NFL history could put a competitive product on the field with this many key injuries. No team has EVER had that kind of depth.

So really all you can do is look at the team they should have had if not for injuries and that is a Super Bowl contender.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't often hear whispers about GM's being fired the season after they draft a franchise QB. I mean, sure a certain segment of the fanbase will b****, but that's just what they do.

8. raining threes

More mediocrity

A McNair constant

craigharmann likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL mediocrity? They have a franchise QB now and the current team would be a Super Bowl contender if the key players stayed healthy. Old narratives are old.

10. texian

texian Member

#1030 texian, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    TheFreak and raining threes like this.
  11. texian

texian Member

12. texian

texian Member

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m telling you obrien stays Ricky gets “promoted” and we get new people in position.

red5rocket, today and craigharmann like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Texans fans: "Fire Rick Smith because he's terrible"

Also Texans fans: "Keep BOB because the QB Rick Smith drafted is awesome and made him look like a halfway competent coach for a few games out of his entire career"

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...m_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#1036 zeeshan2, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    red5rocket likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

raining threes and texian like this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brian T. Smith: Rick and O'Brien have been terrible, but give O'Brien one more year because Watson is good

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

...and no one - and I literally mean no one - knows what McNair is going to do with a coach and general manager...

They'll keep him as a lame duck for one more year or fire him now & roll on with Rick [& new coach].

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member