1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Nova

Nova Member

Well... besides the fact that you didn't list out half of the sg's.... and I'm guessing you meant half of the starting sg's? But anyways, that's just nitpicking.

I think it's arguable that Mobley is better than, or at least on par, with these on your list:

Ricky Davis, Richard Hamilton, Allan Houston, Eddie Jones

Player's performance is affected by what team they are on too (i.e. what other players they have around them). I believe Cat is definitely in the top half of the starting sg's in the league.. easily. Top 10? Probably but that's when it gets more debatable. Mobley is a major cog in the Rox offense, and whoever said he was trying to be a hero? I certainly don't see it this season, if anyone it's Stevie who I could see being blamed for trying to be a hero (and no I don't believe he has been either). He's a very good basketball player and can put major points on the board. Between him, Francis, and Yao the Rox have a superb offensive force that can afford to have one of them have an off night without it being an automatic loss (unlike many other teams). Plus when you have a player who can shoot, take his man off the dribble, and defend very well, who they heck are you going to get to fill that hole? The Rox would have 2 or 3 wins this season if not for him.

2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

How about this for a call for the end of this thread:

Yes, Mobley can tremendous skills, he played many minutes. He is an integeral part of Rockts sucess of part seasons (or lack there of) and this season. He contributes. However, he also often make in-excusable mistakes, put Rockets in peril of loss, or directly contributes to that.

or

Yes, Mobley makes mistakes. Many of them mental and inexcusable. Those are the mistakes we should not tollerate if we want to acheive to the next level. However, Mobley is still in important part of the team, and he contributes tremendously towards wins the Rockets get. Until better solution can be found, he should still be out there doing his things.

we are essentially saying the same things, different perspective.

No Mobley should not be "fired". But if the fans have their way, they would like to see someone with the same tremendous skills as Mobley, but less stupid mistakes. Be it someone else, or Mobley himself with improvement.

3. m004378

m004378 Member

Trade Cat or Francis with either Kidd or Nash, in this way we have a true point guard and a good shooting guard .

4. RedHonda76

RedHonda76 Member

There is no way Mobley is better than Ricky Davis, Rip, Houston and Jones. Davis is a better scorer and a shooter than Mobley, but he's decision making has improve and less selfish with the arrival of LeBron. Rip and Allan are way better shooter than Mobley. Rip is an excellent catch and shoot player. Allan can post-up, shoot in your face and drop 50 points twice. Maybe I rank Eddie a little too high, but he's a better all around player.
    You put Mobley with scrubs in the team like the Knicks, Miami, Cleveland and Pistons and he will do no better than them.

5. Sane

Sane Member

Why go through the whole mess of TRYING to transform Mobley?

Just trade him. If we get a good defensive player in return, then we really don't need him.

Right now, I'd love to deal him to the Grizzlies for Shane Battier and Earl Watson. That would really solve all our problems. Right now, we're not doing too great on offense, but MoT and Pike are coming back so we'll be fine. Boki is also catching on, so we're fine really. Having Battier, Boki and Pike on the perimeter means we always have someone on the floor who can shoot a 3-pter with superb accuracy.

Yao/Cato
    MoT/Cato
    Battier/Boki/AG
    JJ/Pike/Francis
    Francis/Watson/Moochie

Right now, Memphis are playing Posey, Miller and Person at SG. Mobley would be a great upgrade over all these guys, Person becomes the backup, Pose yand Mike Miller go back to their natural position. Battier is expendeable for them, and they get a great player in return.

They may be reluctant to give us Watson though, I don't know if they have another backup PG, and Watson is a very efficient one. Someone I'd be comfortable with, especially after serving a season under Hubie Brown.

6. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

You know you can't always have a ALL STAR at every position.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Uarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

8. DreamFranchise1

Hey Valdez,

I've seen much more cat praising than bashing on this thread. And, I've been using my brothers screename for about 2 years so shut up. Also, what the hell is your point? Did you want to post something or just wrongfully point out something that no gives a **** about? Tell you what, don't ever post anything on here again. That way, the rest of us are guaranteed not to read anything stupid.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, what was your brother's screen name?

10. jeerome

jeerome Member

trade mobley for eddie jones straight up!!!!

11. jcage

jcage Member

I can recall 3 game so far this season that would have been lost if not for Cat. Now get the hell off his back, and try to start a more constructive thread. I will agree that he make some bad decisions, but what player on this team is not flawed. I do agree that it is frustrating to watch sometimes, but what other talent could we get of his level for his price. I'll tell you the answer to that NO ONE. He took a cut to stay here and show some loyalty to this team unlike many other players, and I think it's about time some of you start to do the same. And before some of you start, being loyal does not mean being blind or being a homer. Simply stated hanging in there through the good and bad times. I have this to say I see it coming a mile away. Just like in 93-94 when the Rocket's player were begging for fans to come out and support the team there were seats-o-plenty. Then during the times of the championship runs you could not get a ticket. I ask now where are all those people, and don't tell me they all worked for Enron or WorldCom. There wagons are parked in another teams driveway. Some of you will never wake up no matter what the man does, you would complain. He could go for 60 shooting 25 of 25 and 10 of 10 from the line and have 9 assists and there would be moaning and groaning. But as any true fan will know, that it is the tough, hard, frustrating times that make the good ones so sweet. Sure there is alot they can improve upon, and alot of mistakes being made, but give them time. They will continue to grow and get better, Mobley included. Look at the defensive effort he has been putting out this year. Don't cout him out or sell him out, get behing them show your support. :)

12. haven

haven Member

Does it make anyone else queasy that the Rockets could have dealt Mobley and Griffin for Brand last year?

I was only slightly in favor of it when the Rockets decided against it... but damn, that deal looks good in retrospect.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Cat has averaged more ppg than Rick Davis in every year except last year (the year Yao got here). He is also a better shooter from everywhere on the floor (2pt, 3pt, FT). Your statements are not factual.

Rip shoots worse from everywhere than Mobley as well, except FT. I don't know where you are getting these ideas that guys like Hamilton and Davis are better shooters than Mobley.

Allan Houston is a better shooter than Mobley. Unfortunately for the Knicks, that is all he does. Houston plays defense about as well as Moochie Norris, in other words, he stinks. We have our own version of Houston on our team, he is called Eric Piatkowski. Guess what, he won't be playing in front of Mobley.

Eddie has the best chance of any of the players you mentioned of bing ranked above Mobley. He is also the number one option on his team. When Mobley was the number one option on his team, he put up better numbers than Jones is now, and while shooting at a higher percentage.

In terms of record, you are right. Scrub teams do not play well, that is why they are scrub teams. He did play better individually than those players when he was on a scrub team (the Rockets in 2001-02).

14. Allen Leavell_2

3. But wait - - - Piatkowski is coming. Pike is arguably the perfect person to feed the ball to Yao. Mobley will get his minutes, but if he continues making these kind of decisions, his role will change and JVG will take decisionmaking power away from him. He will get his plays called, but his time on the floor with Yao will get limited. That much is clear to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

I wish that were true. But it's not. Van Gundy likes defense much more than offense. Mobley is unquestionably our best defending guard. Piatkowski is unquestionably one of the worst defending guards in the NBA, especially after so many surgeries. Piatkowski isn't even that good offensively. He has never proven himself to be a consistent scorer in the NBA. I absolutely hate the way Mobley plays, but you just can't compare Piatkowski to Mobley. Mobley is way better on defense and at least as good on offense if not better.

Van Gundy just needs to sit Mobley down and show him play after play after play of him passing up Yao and an easy two points for a fade away 18 footer. I think if you force him to see it over and over again, maybe he'll understand.

15. Allen Leavell_2

16. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

No I think there's a problem with YOUR "logic." Seriously I have doubts about the reading and/or comprehesion skills of some on this board. Misses in games are unavoidable which I have stated, which is also the reason I pointed over and over again the words "UP TO." Which is also why I stated boneheaded mistakes and/or misses, which Cat throwings up with amazing frequency AND which JJ does not. You can make a claim that the term "boneheaded" is subjective, but in many cases we can find a majority concensus on that term, which in the Cat's case, many are obvious. So the bottom line is, Cat's misses have cost us or nearly cost us games, JJ's misses have not. You pick which one you want to take.

17. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

MFW give it up ... Your logic is waaaaaay off. A miss on a good shot doesnt equal more points than a miss on a bad shot .. And as much as you want to deny that is exactly what you were saying. You're logic was flawed .. move on

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think that was just a rumor. Some of us who had no idea (including me) helped keep that rumor alive on here for a while, but I seriously doubt (and this is just an uneducated guess) that it was ever close to completion or even in the Rockets hands to decide on.

19. x_trepidation_x

Someone should start another POLE "Who wants to trade Mobley".

20. fatman510

fatman510 Member

ARGH!! Mobley signle handedly lost the game for the Rockets tonight. First the STUPID offensive foul. What in the holy hell was he thinking?!?!??!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Then, he FOUGHT for a rebound with YAO. WHAT THE HELL???
    He actually tipped it away from Yao, Stoud got it back, passed it to Mcinnis for the WIDE OPEN three (by the way Mcinnis was Mobleys man, Mobley left him wide open) and that was the ball game.
    Again, countless occaisons where I saw Yao WAVING HIS HANDS DEMANDING THE BALL and Cuttino passed it up to pass to his buddies Steve and Jim on the perimeter. WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?:mad: :mad: :mad: