1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Most of the people advocating for firing MDA are always people who dont know anything lol. I cant wait to fire him and then a lot of you guys can see what bad coaching really is LOL. Any time I question 90% of you can never give me any good reason outside of play Hartenstein.

2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Did they get rid of Coach's Challenge? I haven't seen Dantoni use that in about 20 games.

jboslett, Ramo$e and PeterKingX like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

1. Inability to manage player's minutes, not just Harklestien.
    2. Unable to realize flow of game and momentum shifts to call time outs when appropriate.
    3. Cannot adapt to other coaches game plans mid game.. Especially on defense. When an opposing player gets hot we do nothing different to try to shut him down.
    4. Predictable offense.
    5. Admits to not practicing much. He can't even tell the young guys like Harklestien, Clark (oh wait), Clemons, Rivers ect to have a practice to at least get those guys knowing the system better because there really isn't one.
    6. If a non vet player makes one mistake he instantly subs them out.
    7. Hasn't used a coach's challenge in 20 something games.

SkareKrow, kjayp, BigShasta and 9 others like this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because they will suddenly play different because a new coach will tell them to

5. HP3

HP3 Member

1. We have no back ups to play, there is literally no one to play on this team except Hartenstein.2-6 are separated 2 games we are fighting for positioning.
    2. Literally doesn’t matter.
    3. Defense is on turner...actually even when there are adjustments no one can actually tell cause they have limited understanding of what’s going on out there.
    4. 3rd in offensive rating
    5. A lot of older teams don’t practice...we haven’t been practicing for a few years and it hasn’t mattered.
    6. Agreed he needs to play Harty more.
    7. So have a lot of other coaches, like ALOT.

So again....I’m left with play Harty more.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

By this logic, nobody should ever hire or fire coaches. Warriors could have said "Curry will never play another way" or the Bucks could have said "How else would you use Giannis? This is fine".

Sure, you have to hire the right coach. But the reason the Rockets play the way they do is because MDA lets them and encourages them. It worked well when they had two dominant ISO players having two of the greatest ISO seasons in the history of the NBA and the league had not adjusted to it yet.

Now? After teams have had a couple years to adjust and scheme against? And you lost Chris Paul? MDA has done nothing to counter beyond "shoot more and go small". He needs to go. Been obvious all season.

#766 J Sizzle, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    bmelo likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

I think MDA still wants to coach, even if it's not with the Rockets. I am doubtful he's tanking. As a equivalent of a coach's contract year, you want to do well, if at least to audition for other GMs.

I can see why some fans see this, because doing things like playing ihart seems like low risk, high reward. Something in his control. Be it not playing rookies or thinking his body frame is still developing, I think MDA is doing what what HE believes is best for the team.

No high seeded playoffs teams is looking for a new coach as far as I know. If MDA wants a ship before he retires, I hope he try to make this year work. Getting another shot at his age may not be easy.

#767 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 19, 2020
    J Sizzle likes this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Saving them all for playoffs.

PeterKingX and J.R. like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Looked up Elston Turner's tenure, he's more or less from Adleman's tree. But defense though?

1996–2000 Portland Trail Blazers (assistant)
    2000–2006 Sacramento Kings (assistant)
    2007–2011 Houston Rockets (assistant - Adleman era)
    2011–2013 Phoenix Suns (assistant)
    2013–2016 Memphis Grizzlies (assistant)
    2016–2019 Sacramento Kings (assistant)
    2019–present Houston Rockets.

2009/2010 - 2017 - was Zbo, Tony Allen, so technically Turner overlap latter half of grit n' grind Grizz era. Commendable defense, downside is that type of NBA defense may not be allowed by Refs as much.

An assistant still reports up to the head coach, so ultimately MDA is responsible for both ends. Head coach should still work with Turner on things if lacking. Since the mass firing of assistants at the beginning nof year, I do wonder if MDA is handcuffed. For team's sake, I hope this isn't the case.

#769 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 19, 2020
    saleem likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

I'm more talking specifically about our players.

Harden and Westbrook will play the exact same way no matter who the coach is.

Harden isn't gonna play defense or start moving if we hire Van Gundy.

bloodwings19 likes this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Then trade his ass cause if he is gonna play with no adjustments no matter the coach he will win nothing as a leader. Not coincidence he had his best shot with oncourt coach and alpha general cp3

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. I think a real system in place and a coach that isn’t afraid of Harden would work. Yes, Harden and Westbrook will fall back into their usual tendencies from time to time, but that’s good! We want Harden ISO and Westbrook attacking the basket. It just can’t be your ONLY mechanism, which it currently is. Teams have adjusted and know the Rockets have no counters.

The best teams in the league have a variety of ways to beat you. The Rockets do not.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

So a new coach will be able to make Westbrook stop shooting bad shots and have harden move off ball?

I'm skeptical

14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Fire James Harden!!! Run him out of town then. You bring Phil Jackson, or the best playoff coach ever and it won't work. Harden is the coach, he is the only who controls the ball :) Harden was notably absent against Thunder, 13 FGs when he averages around 25 FGs a game. Coach can't pump his heart, or only he can make it work. D'Antoni would never sit Harden for any disciplinary action ever, or Harden will run him out of town and maybe he has.

15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I will support a 'championship or bust' extension for MDA.

Call it the 'mike Brown' special that Lakers gave out like six or seven years ago.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DanAndToni is blameless.
    McHale is blameless.

It's all HARDEN fault????

He the reason no one can hit the three
    He played the exact same way for every coach he ever played for .....

You guys are so full of ****

Ready for the next 6'9 PF to pick at the 14th the pick in the draft.

Trade harden for Dmo and Scola.
    Bring back Chandler, Battier and the Padge of honor

Love those 43 win hard working teams.

Rocket River

BigShasta likes this.
  17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

If you don't run against Lakers, they gonna beat you.

It's that simple!

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I can understand the skepticism, but look at the team. *Nobody* moves off ball. The system is not designed to move off ball. The system is entirely iso driven for just Harden and Westbrook. It’s not like we’re running the Warriors offense and the stars just aren’t buying in. Its simply an ultra-basic offense and easily predictable.

19. Mr. Clutch

It's designed for harden. It's not like he used Nash this way

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

Is there any reason why is he still working?