1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

NBA has to be one of the leagues with the most money involved worldwide.
    I have zero to little compassion when it comes to the slightest sign of incompetence, be it on Defense, calling TOs too late or somewhere else.

I would like to get rid of the owner but it is impossible.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well it would be nice if you elaborate on why you disagree.

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think there's much to elaborate on, it's just a personal opinion. I have mine and you have yours. I think that Harden wants to win, and will do whatever it takes to win. That means he will do whatever is asked of him by the team, coach, and organization. I think if Houston hired a coach with a system that required him to play a different way, he would be willing to do that.

If you think that he wouldn't be willing to do it, that means you think he's either stupid, selfish, lazy, stubborn, or whatever else. My point here is, the only reason you would believe Harden would refuse to change is because you've attributed one of these negative traits to him. So you have a low opinion of him.

SF3isBack!! and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mike D'Antoni revolutionized game of basketball. His offensive philosophy has been adopted by almost every single NBA team today. This is important since it was a philosophy that was derided by basketball purists before GSW dynasty and Bucks dominance past 2 seasons.

You may not like MDA but you cant rewrite history and his very real impact on the game.

And MDA may not be able to win a title with the Kings, but you can be sure he would have had a team with shooters like Fox, Hield, Bogdan and rollers like Bagley, WCS and Giles playing in post season. Those kids were/are too talented to stink it up every single season under Joeger.

I would not mind Joerger as D assistant but as HC he is overrated in CF.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like I thought, not even one name.

Williamson and HP3 like this.
  6. macan

macan Member

no worry, he'll be gone after this season

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

MDA should be fired, yes.
    JVG should be re-hired as Head Coach.
    Cuttino Mobley should be hired as Asst Coach.
    Steve Francis should be hired as Player Development Coach.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA is not the problem, not replacing Ariza and LMAM is the problem.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You guys all know I'm not MDA's biggest supporter and will not be until he comes around to the fact that he is benching a superstar in Isaiah Hartenstein. HOWEVER, you guys who think he should be fired mid-season are bonkers out of your mind quackadoo. Our only chance this season is with D'Antoni. He's not signed for next season so after the season they can move in a different direction and hire a new coach who has time to work in their system BEFORE the season starts. That you guys think another coach can come in and teach players a whole different system mid-season is why you're all bonkers out of your mind wackadoo (and quackadoo).

p.s. Unless they make Isaiah Hartenstein coach/player. Then, yes, fire D'Antoni!

10. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

This is so weird. MDA here to finish the season, get over it and hope Daryl finds a diamond in the rough.

that is all.

11. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Player acquisition and performance should be viewed hierarchically. Due to the difficulty and tight constraints on resources, player acquisition isn't an issue that can be solved currently. As a fanbase, we can't assess the performance of what we don't have. What we can assess is what we see on our 48" TV sets and that's performance. MDA is performing poorly to the point that fans question if there's any method to the madness. Over 4 years, the method looks outdated and improvements marginal. While I agree on a macro-level that MDA has his place in NBA history for changing of the way we play, he still has a job to do and that's to put his players in the best position to win. I'm not a coach, but if I did play a sport, I'd want a coach to see the game as more than just spacing and effort. I'd want a coach who can maximize the entirety of his/her roster that would give the team the best chances of winning. The more we blame it on roster construction, the more the players and coaches involved get a pass. As fans, we grade performance. Year 1 and 2, he gets an A for laying the groundwork. This year his laziness earns him an F because unchecked bad habits will lead to bad results. The reason we should view the coach's performance first before player acquisition is to determine if the system is not only the right one for the team on the floor but also one that is malleable enough for when the roster experiences personnel changes.

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

They're not emulating it, because we're still BY FAR shooting more 3's than anybody else. Team's are shooting 3's, but also taking the open midrange when available. That's the difference

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is just not true. Look this stuff up before you post. We are not shooting by far more 3s than anybody else, we shoot 3s on 48.6% of our shots, with Dallas right behind us at 46.2%, and Milwaukee in 3rd at 43%. Unsurprisingly, these are the top 3 offenses in the NBA, isn't it weird how that works out?

Also, the MoreyBall philosophy isn't just 3s, it's 3s and layups. The leaguewide average percentage of shots that are 3s and layups (call this MoreyRate) has increased every single year since 2010. It's gone from 53% to 70%. When we got Harden in 2012 we were at 74%, that's a 17% advantage over the league average, and a 7% lead over the next highest team. We were the only team over 70% that year, and only 6 teams were over 60%.

Fast forward to our first year with D'Antoni in 2016-17, and the rockets MoreyRate was 82%. That's 18% over the league average of 64%, and a full 10% higher than the next highest team at 72%. We were obviously the only team over 80% this year, and there were only 3 teams including us that were over 70%.

Now look at this year, the rockets are at 81%, and the next highest team is only half a percent behind also at 81% (81.36% vs 80.74%). There are a whopping 14 teams over 70% this year. The league average is 70% this year, so we're only 11% ahead of league average this year.

If you don't think the entire league is emulating MoreyBall you're just denying reality.

roslolian, clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Bigs were a problem before the new owner so this isnt true. MDA all but hated Harrell, when all I saw was monster potential.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Doing, ding, ding!!! HB with the knockout!!!

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Can you expound what his offensive philosophy is/was that has been adopted by almost every single NBA team today? Cuz tbh I really don't know.

I do know Morey and his analytics has revolutionized basketball though, it has limited mid range jumpers all throughout the league and popularized the 3 pointer. This offensive philosophy has been adopted by almost every single NBA team today. This is important since it was a philosophy that was derided by basketball purists before GSW dynasty and Bucks dominance past 2 seasons.

https://www.smartdatacollective.com/how-nba-data-analytics-revolution-has-changed-game/

Fox only spent his first 3 years under Joerger how d hell is MDA "gonna bring those kids to the post season"? This is MDA you can ask Gary Clark and Hartenstein how kid friendly he is. In fact Fox and pretty much the entire Sacramento Kings has regressed this year under Luke Walton so I highly doubt MDA would've gotten a bunch of rookies and 2-3 years vets into the playoffs.

#636 roslolian, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah HB with the knockout to MDA taking false credit for Moreyball and Harden/Nash accomplishments. Ding ding ding!!!!

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL. You are seriously comparing undrafted FA Gary Clark and 2nd round pick Isaiah Hartenstein to Lottery picks and 1st rounders?!!?

C'mon Roz, you're better than that!

And stop pushing that false narrative, you know full well that MDA played Sam Dekker (1st rounder) and Montrezl Harrell (high 2nd).

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I really thought you were better than this Rozzy. I am very disappointed with this BS.

"There aren't many innovators in coaching," Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr told Business Insider. "There's usually a few key figures who change the way everybody else thinks ... I think what makes Mike unique is he is one of those innovators."

https://www.businessinsider.com/mike-dantoni-offense-shaped-nba-2017-11

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2015/06/18/warriors-championship-culmination-seven-seconds-less-suns/

HP3 likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

No I'm not comparing Clark to Fox I'm just saying MDA isn't the type of coach to trust rookies with his wins and losses, never has in PHX and never has in Houston so I dunno why you think he will steer a bunch of rookies and players with 2-3 experience to the playoffs. We all watch Rox games avidly does MDA have a tendency to rely on rookies or proven vets? Let's not lie just to win some meaningless argument lol.

The false narrative being pushed here is MDA is somehow an amazing coach due to his regular season record when the reality is his HOF pgs do almost all the work. You are even crediting MDA with freaking Moreyball like MDA is the one who thought of using analytics in the NBA just like he is the one manufacturing all these wins through his superb coaching.