1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I need 3 days to think this.

roslolian, Corrosion and J Sizzle like this.
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Kerr called a timeout to adjust, and we lose the game right away.

rcketsfan1 likes this.
  3. macan

macan Member

MDA belongs to older generation of coaches like phil jackson, george karl etc. we need some younger coach to inject some new life to this team. i know he's a biitch, but i'd take steve kerr right now...

roslolian, pippsux, BigShasta and 3 others like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Give me any coach who’s primary game plan isn’t “Save us Harden”

SF3isBack!!, roslolian, smp and 7 others like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Offensively, we've ALWASY been top 2 in efficiency since he got here. Thats because we run a spread pick and roll offense which lets Harden be the best player he can be. And that's also because he maximizes the talent we have on the roster, he doesnt make guy do more than they have to and therefore there efficiency skyrockets. Tell me, have we ever lost to a less talented team??? We ALWAYS went against teams that were more talented than us. Even two years ago we were STILL the much less talented team and we had them beat almost.

The ball is in Harden's/Westbrook's most of the time and you know what, thats smart. The ball should be in your best player's hands to maximize your efficiency. If you dont believe me, than why are people copying us??? Why are other teams taking more shots than ever.....go look at the usage stats and tell me who you see....Lebron,Luka and Giannis.

Not to mention, all of our players love him and that is important. Im not saying hes perfect....no, I think he needs to be stricter with out guys, something that happend tonight would never happen with other more disciplined coaches and I can admit that. Plus he's too strict with his rotations, Clark needs play more. And you know what....at times our offense really is bad and he needs to add more against the ELITE(im talking top 2) defensive teams. But all in all I absolutely believe he can get us to a championship.

carib, D-rock, fckbandwagons and 5 others like this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He needs to go. If Tillman wasn’t so cheap he would t have had lame duck

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fire McHale D'Antoni and hire the next puppet!

BigShasta likes this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Rockets are #1 is offense in the
    MDA has this team #2 in scoring (half a point from #1). What is exact a young coach going to bring?

9. Caprah

Caprah Member

Bring in JVG as his defensive coordinator or advisor

10. juanm34

juanm34 Member

FACT- This is MDA’s last shot with this squad

The Tilman Era coach will tell us a great deal about the future of this franchise...........

pippsux, smp and BaselineFade like this.
  11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I wish we could keep Mike as an offensive coordinator but in terms of strategy to take away the other team's options and in game tactics he isn't built for that. You cant out athlete or put shoot teams. This is the NBA any game you can get beat if you allow the other team to have confidence. I like MDA he does a lot of good but it gets negated when our team is not clicking on all cylinders and their is time for a high percentage plan b gameplan until our team gets going again.

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

MDA with 2 all stars and a bunch of good role players 17-18 won 65 games, secured the 1 seed, one of the best offenses in history, a top 10 defense, was coach of the year, and was up 3-2 against the greatest team ever. Winning even 3 games in the playoffs vs that team was unthinkable. CP, EG, Trev, and Clint all missed time that year and the team didn't miss a beat.

MDA with 2 all stars and more bargain basement role players and less shooting in 19-20 seem to be a little more inconsistent. Did MDA forget how to coach? I wonder what changed. Its the same "system". Maybe when you try to replace quality vets and role players with players that are mostly fringe NBA players at best, you will get less than desirable results from time to time. I think that over all our role players have done very well this year. But there will be big swings in production occasionally. .EG coming back soon should help a lot, but injuries to our core players will hurt more this year than in year's past.

Maybe i'm caught up in the nostalgia of the 17-18 season. Seeing a coach lead a less talented team to the brink of beating the KD Wariors is hard for to shake. We all saw what he could he could do with a quality roster. But it is obvious that Tilman has no love for the man, so many here will probably get their wish. But i think that writing this man off as some sort of scrub head coach that is "easily" replaced is a mistake. We better have a Nick Nurse type waiting in the wings.

BTW does MDA get any credit (today not withstanding) for the improved shot selection from Westbrook recently? He has been taking far less pull up 3's and has seemed to have bought in to playing a more efficient game. It's still a work in progress, but many thought that it was impossible for Russ to change. MDA is a master at putting players in the best spots to maximize their efficiency and production. He is doing the same with Russ and no one is paying attention to it.

I recognize MDA's flaws. He is far from perfect. The minutes distribution bothers me too. But i fear that whomever Tilman brings in as a replacement may be another bargain basement hire. If its a Nick Nurse home run great. If not we may really be screwed.

13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Will probably be the basketball equivalent of Jason Garrett.

juanm34 likes this.
  14. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Fire the GM first.

SF3isBack!! and CK Johnson like this.
  15. smp

smp Member

That’s an amazing play he drew up there. “Let’s have Harden stand around at half court for the entire possession.” That always seems to work well.

It’s not the reason we lost the game but it’s a bad look.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

What a idiotic post.

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Look like all west coaches have long term contracts except MDA.

19. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Do I want the Rockets to find a better coach than MDA? Yes.

Do I think there are a bunch of coaches out there the Rockets could hire that would be A LOT better than D'Antoni? Probably no. D'Antoni does bring some good things: players like him, he has a generally good offensive output, wins regular season games and players like offensive stats.

Do I think the Rockets need a better coach to win against teams with better equal or better talent in the playoffs? Absolutely, yes. I want to win playoff series and NBA final above everything else, so this is really the only question that matters in my opinion as we definitely aren't the most talented team in the NBA this season.

Tato1971 likes this.
  20. pippsux

pippsux Member

MDA is gone, we just have to sit thru this farewell tour

juanm34 likes this.