1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I have very little faith in him. Popovich would’ve ripped Harden a new one and James should know when to talk and when to shut up. When you are lazy on defense, don’t tell Capela a damn thing. Harden is a lucky so of a gun with MDA, he should be checked for his behaviour when he’s playing like tonight and dares to call others on mistakes.

2. slapyomoma

slapyomoma Member

Why did we sign Tyson Chandler then?

roslolian likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dude can’t manage a game. It is clear as day.

Richie_Rich and roslolian like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

We got 7 footers on the bench any of them would have been better than PJ Tucker vs Lopez.

Capela had 13 and 12, the "old backup center" had 10 and 5. The 2 guys we had were producing given their mins meanwhile Harden is 2/13, EG is 3/12. Why is the answer play small ball and take out the two centers who have been producing? MDA first had to prove he can maximize the players he does have before we criticize Morey for not bringing in superstars left and right.

Bucks don't have 5 all stars on their roster too, but somehow they managed to win the game.

bj3175 likes this.
  5. speedjames

speedjames Contributing Member

Only one game into the season, but I agree. Same predictable offense with no defense. We're not going anywhere with Dumbtoni. Let's bring in the first woman head coach in the NBA, Becky Hammon. She's a Pop understudy, intense, and sure to win more lady fans.

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The whole league is going big who can stretch the floor except us. We're sticking with 40yo centers like Tyson and Nene who can barely play more than 10 minutes a night.

Tucker isn't young either, he's turning 37 and we're relying heavy minutes on him.

Dantoni doesn't trust Ryno at all and Hartenstein still in the G-league.

Also, we should've been up by 25 if Harden didn't **** the bed so badly. He knows the refs are gunning for him and yet he spent the entire summer working on a shot that won't work consistently in game.

cheke64 and JayZ750 like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I disagree with this post.

He is what he is - it’s not his mentality. And frankly what he is, he’s pretty solid at. He catches passes in the lane as decent as any big man of his skill set. Frankly better. He’s not Gasol big on defense. Yet last night he was the only one that could guard Giannis remotely effectively when switched onto him (Giannis offense consists of clear out, top of the key, drive and euro-step or spin back into the defender pushing him off balance then shoot over. Clint guarded both relatively effectively - only Giannis new improved jumper made it difficult - btw... WATCH OUT LEAGUE).

You guys want Clint to be something (1) he can’t be and (2) even if he could it would hard to be because EVERYONE OF the other 4 players he’s playing with is a midget, relatively speaking.

As I’ve said many times (Eg see the trade for Sabonis thread which was a pipe dream)... it’s fine and all to be able to go small ball. But you have to be able to go big ball too. And the Rockets can’t. And it’s not because of Clint, but everyone else.

Vivi likes this.
  8. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

We dont have good defensive coach this year. MDA will be fired after 10 games. I suggest Morey find a replacement coach now. I suggest to find a defensive one and use back the existing offense method.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I dont know why west Brooks miss the foul ball in the end of 2nd half, otherwise Houston can win this match

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We need to bring in Dave Joerger to the staff.

He is currently unemployed and could be groomed into the next coach. He spent time with the team this offseason so there is familiarity.

MrSabotage and JayZ750 like this.
  11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Small ball works but u to give it a chance

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My biggest gripe with Dantoni is he is ineffective at keeping star players accountable. The anti-Pop.

MrSabotage likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't want or expect him to be something he can't be. i mean it's already an absolute given he's going to struggle against bigger centers (ie. embiid) and smarter players (ie. donkey). but the reason i consider him the p***y Deluxe is because he starts pouting when things don't go his way. when teams take away his lobs on offense, his entire game suffers. when opposing centers abuse him in the paint, he just stops competing overall. and then just in general not being able to box out, contest shots on the perimeter, or make his FT's... is just icing on the cake.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Clint was 10th in the NBA in rebounds per 100 possessions last year. The rest of the list is, first to 9th: Whiteside, Drummond, Ed Davis, DJ, Kanter, Gobert, Embiid, Vucevic, Hernangomez.

Clint is better defensively than some of them. He's better offensively than some of them. He's better at free throws than some of them. He's even better/as good a FT% as 4 of them.

Point being, this is what you get in the NBA with bigs. Unless it's a "superstar" big (Embiid, Jokic - worse rebounder per 100, KAT - worse defender).

People then like to point to his contract. At $18 per year average, his average salary is about the 14th highest.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/contracts/center/

In short, he's what we're paying for. What would help immensely would be playing with other player with some size. Joel's starting frontcourt mate this year is Al Horford for goodness sake. Turner/Sabonis. Drummond/Griffin. Last year Gobert had Favors. Vucevic/Gordon/Isaac. Jokic/Millsap (not that he's that great anymore).

I just think he gets a lot of hate for someone who is paid about the production he gives you.

James Harden has the highest average salary in the league (along with John Wall, lol) for now. He was 2-13, remains below average defensively, and for all the assists he gets you also racked up 7 turnovers. He's obviously James Harden... plenty of pluses, too... but all these Capela, Capela, Capela threads pop up. They lost the game (i) they were constantly forced to switch onto bigs - a defensive scheme put into place because Harden can't really guard the perimeter, (ii) Harden couldn't buy a bucket, and (iii) Eric Gordon was worthless. Yet for some reason all I see are "Clint is soft" threads.

Vivi likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now that would be awesome!!! I have way more faith in her than Dumbtoni. Add in her experience as a smart player and Pop understudy and she gets my vote.

16. amaru

amaru Member

He has no creditability to hold the stars accountable. When was the last time he won anything before Houston lol?

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is so right! He lacks ripping guys a new one when needed, is fixated on keeping it small, doesn't adjust lineups when it's not working, and changes them when it is working. He frustrates so much!!

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problems are personnel problems not coaching or system problems

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This should have happened in the off season. The guy is clueless. Especially with his small ball ****. We are not nor will we ever be GSW. He is lucky he has had James.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Morey is too busy working on bringing about world peace and freedom of expression to oppressed people everywhere.

pauebtg likes this.