1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bplld, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

I agree a sign of a great coach is being able to adjust to the personnel they have and also in response to an opposing team.

Granted the Spurs are deeper than us , but I was always impressed by how Popovich can coach his team to play both the uptempo style and the grind it out style. JVG is too stuck in one style of play. He's been really disappointing and I was among the many who were excited at his hiring.

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Fire Gundy, Banish Yao, Hit Swift over the head, Let Luther Head start every game (he is a stud)

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i know he shouldn't have been fired after last season. in fact JVG's popularity on this board was at an all time high.

my point remains. if we fire him, who replaces him? he is still the best guy out there.

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Hire Paul Silas or bring back Rudy T.

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) Mr. Van Gundy is owed a boatload of money. Le$ will not just throw that away.

(2) Rudy Tomjanovich is under contract to the Lakers.
    (2a) Even if he weren't under contract, Tomjanovich has no reason to work for Le$ after the way he was treated.

6. jjfjj

jjfjj Member

This "commands double teams" thing is way overrated.

Yao has been disappointing, but with a better coach, he can do much better.

Fire JVG.

7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

AMEN ;)

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Crikey!

The Fire JVG and Get Rid of Yao threads combined!

:eek:

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

The double team he commands is'nt overrrated. the problem is those doublems are pretty much resulting into bricks from beyond the arc, due to our spot up shooters..

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

YAO NEEDS TO BE TRADED!!!!

he got his money and now he is a bust!

11. waterflea

waterflea Member

Never would that happen unless another Chinese player plays better than he does in the NBA. No one outside Houston would even care about the Rockets if Yao is not here. Les will tell you all about that.

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Traded for what, his Value is pretty much as low as it will probaly get. a skilled good 7'6 players dont fall off trees. we made a huge Blunder on not selecting amare, but now we gotta stick it out with yao. show some loyalty. i've been as critical as anyone, but i'll give him another year before calling for a trade.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

thats odd....so I guess what you are telling us is that all of our out of state and out of country friends that were with us before Yao dont count?

this team and the fans of it were around before Yao, and they willl be here after Yao....

and btw...it seems quite a few of you are under the impression that all the extra Rockets gear profits do go directly to the team right?
    You are constantly going on about all thew money Yao makes Les because of the extra popularity...but you fail to remember that profits from much of that go to the NBA to be divided up amongst the teams.

btwbtw...you guys got real short memories....the same thing happened last year....this kneejerk reaction and the associated blamegame is IDENTICAL to what happened last year...the team turned it around and was awesome and eveyoen was happy...the system is the same as the end of last year...and now taht we are missing key players and alot of our key shooters are just now getting their shot back....it all the sudden looks bad and you all automatically blame the coach for the players inability to execute down the stretch.

Learn the art of the longview and attempt to have a measure of patience...before the nexxt upswing in our fortunes leaves you looking foolish

#53 Rockets2K, Nov 24, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Houston was the 4th biggest market in the league even before yao arrived.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

JVG does seem to have problems coaching this team right now. It is all interrelated.

Look at tonight's game....it may be the first game in forever that Yao didn't pick up one foul. JVG was constantly being forced to make moves by the Suns line-up, not vice-versa. Both teams played last night. JVG had just as much opportunity to implement a plan to attack the Suns with size as the Suns had to attack with speed, and didn't do it. When you're 7-6 center is being fronted by a 6-7 swingman, you flash someone to the high post, shoot them the pass for either an easy 15 footer or a dump down. That happened exactly 0 times. Sad.

16. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

we started 6-12 last year, finished with 50+ wins. sure, we should have still won the games against new orleans and orlando without tmac, but we all knew that there would be an adjustment period. all you "fans" who think we're doomed to a lottery pick because of a 3-9 start and want to blame yao and JVG, you guys make me sick. everybody needs to have some faith and just calm the heck down.

17. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

some big changes have to be done. either on player or coach.

just hope Rockets has the luck to pick the right one.

but if you whole team of players cant play as they used to.
    should we try to find some problems of the coaches first?

18. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

yes, we finished great last season with a bad start.

But we have some big changes after the bad start.

6-12 vs 3-9 is very close. We probably will get the 12th sooner than last season.

And we dont have TMac/Sura/Rafer/Glover right now.(and is there any special reason to reserve a position for Glover?)

Do we still have the chance to copy last season performance?

19. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

We're 10-2 with a healthy Mcgrady.

20. FadeAway_Dreams

Luther is playing better as a part time starter as Lue did playing all the time. Yes T-mac = T-mac but he's now playing Mike Millers position and we have others in the SG position. I've noticed the last couple games Anderson has finally been playing like he's capable of doing.(18pts, 5reb, 3ast 55% shooting over last 3 games) I realize our veteran guards of Barry and Wesley have seeminly lost their shots but saying we have no shooter whatsoever is a big knock on Luther since he's sinking almost 2 triples a night at 50% shooting from beyond the arc.

And I realize that its only a GLIMMER of hope but didn't Stro go out and get a double double against Phoenix? If he could just start playing defense like was expected of him he might not be such a waste of time.

So, yeah, I think this team with T-mac can go places.
    (Emphasis on the TEAM concept)