1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Why does Rick Smith keep getting to survive after 2 coaches have been fired?

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wonder if Lance knows that the Bengals' owner is also the GM.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's a separate question. He needs to go as well, and we've known that for quite some time.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

There’s been rumors of obrien getting fired for the past couple of years

At this point, I think obrien will inevitably be fired, regardless if he even made the playoffs.

The owner and gm just do not get along with obrien. I’m guessing because obrien is not a kiss ass or yes man like McNairs lapdog rick smith.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He shouldn't, but my guess is that Rick just follows the orders of the coaches and owner, so McNair sees no reason to fire him. That's just my theory, personally I would want a GM who actually knows what he's doing.

6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I just don't think a RS/Lewis combo will be any more successful than a RS/Kubiak or RS/OB combo.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see why the focus is on Rick Smith, if anything he just delivered the team a franchise QB and that alone should get him at least a few more years. BOB on the other hand.....what is it that he does well? Every time I talk to people who try and defend him I ask them that question and I've yet to get an answer that amounted to more than "BOB just winz"

8. texian

texian Member

Exactly, the fish rots from the head down.

Marvin Lewis, LOL. The ultimate don't rock the boat Head Coach. And all of The Chronicle guys will be telling you how this is a really good thing... just like Brock Osweiler was -- finally we have our QB!

Enjoy the continued mediocrity, Texansfan.

If you don't see it by now, then you'll never understand.

Try following basketball or tennis.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

-Hasn't been good outside the first round for the most part; that's why we are too top heavy on our team
    -Bouye, Quin, Ed Reed, letting Brandon Brooks go to get Jeff Allen
    -Osweiler; signing and getting rid of him
    -Jaelen Strong, Louis Nix trades in the draft
    -too many losing seasons for how long he has been tenured compared to other GMs during that time span

Chilly_Pete and J.R. like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick Smith has been here, 10-11 years? While not the absolute worst, why does he have the job security of Bill Belichick? So coaches & players can lose their job for poor performance but not the GM apparently?

So they'll fire another coach, hire a new one & call for his head in 3-4 years, wondering why much hasn't changed?

Why are we rebuilding after 4 years again? (I know, I know, as is seemingly always the case, "Injuries")

The colossal mistake that was Brock Osweiler yet the owner is praising him (for getting rid of him)? Huh?

Yeah, put his/their first round up against anyone & you'd be hard pressed to find better but the draft doesn't end after day one.

Rick Smith
    ---Only longer tenured GMs---
    Ted Thompson
    Ozzie Newsome
    Mickey Loomis
    Bill Belichick
    Mike Brown (also the owner)
    Jerry Jones (also the owner)

Which one doesn't belong?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you can't explain it

Your first statement doesn't jive with your second statement. Bouye was undrafted, Quin was drafted in the 4th, Brandon Brooks was drafted in the 3rd round...

I mean, sure there's been missteps, but when we focus on them do we think that other GM's don't make them? Every team has missteps in the draft adn in FA. Not every GM trades up to nab a franchise QB successfully. Rick Smith has clearly made mistakes along the way (all GM's do) but he's not the reason why the Texans are struggling.....unless you want to blame him for hiring BOB.

13. texian

texian Member

It's seems to be over your head, but here it is from a NFL veteran/Super Bowl winner:

When the Texans brought Bill O'Brien in, it was because of his ability to have success with QBs... and then it didn't happen.

But then again, it wasn't really coaching -- from a player's standpoint... I look at it as not enough personnel. The ability to see the weaknesses on your roster and make the right moves.

Is Bill O'Brien the guy or not the guy? It's still to be determined. Yeah we've been 9-7 and unable to get over the hump, but that's due to injuries and lack of QB play. What he has done with Watson, if Watson's healthy this is a different conversation.

The big thing is, a Head Coach has to have the right to be able to make roster calls. If he doesn't have control of who he's putting on the field, his system isn't being implemented in the best possible way.

I've know Bill O'Brien personally for years now -- he's a very capable coach; he knows the game; he knows the offensive schemes; that's not the issue.

--James Ihedigbo, Super Bowl winner with Harbaugh/Ravens and Super Bowl loser with Belichick/Patriots.​

You may think you know more about pro football than he does,

But you don't. You don't.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL that's stupid and clearly said by someone who doesn't follow what happened with this team. So BOB has been a complete failure as a coach until Watson did everything for him.....and that's Rick Smith's fault? Okay.

What happened was Rick Smith got BOB exactly the QB's he wanted for several years until it became obvious that he didn't know how to evaluate QB talent, then he went out and traded up for a franchise QB rather than listening to what BOB wanted to do anymore.

Your appeal to authority fails for obvious reasons.....well not obvious to you, but obvious to those that matter.

#1934 Bobbythegreat, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

A friend of OBrien defends OBrien.

What I've learned is that at least he has a lot of friends the media finds.

His system and roster building (yes he worked with Rick) are atrocious. I really hope the Colts hire him.

Major likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Let me guess... you know this because it was leaked ... after Nix sucked. See the pattern here?

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

If they really want Vrabel, we should trade him for a pick.

18. Mr. Clutch

OBrien initially bragged about the Texans aggressive trading up. Took a shot at Kubiak for not doing it more

Don't hear much bragging anymore

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny that the guy who constantly says "it's on me" is the same guy always leaking things saying "I've never done anything wrong at all, ever", this time he's even trying to blame his decisions of which players to put in games on others....

It really makes you think that if it's true, he's too weak to be a head coach in the NFL and if it's a lie, he's a scumbag for throwing the organization under the bus to try and deflect from his mistakes and it suggests that he doesn't have the character to be a head coach in the NFL. Either way, BOB's leaks make him look terrible......and he does it every year at this time.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Dom Capers was not a rookie HC. He was also the Panthers first HC.