1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not awkward or stupid at all. They're paying 19M for their 2 QBs. Find something else to overreact about.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

And then immediately went back into a shell and should have lost the game. I guess if they stay behind they will stay aggressive? Texans are not going to win in the playoffs just playing x's and o's, tit for tat. Play to win!

#962 mick fry, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He doesn't trust his QBs and that's why he doesn't play to win as you put it. He's conservative until he can't be. But by then it's usually too late. But honestly do you blame him? No QB (partly his fault, he chose many of them) has deserved his full trust.

If one of those QBs balls were to drop, grab the bull by the horns and run with it you would see an amazing transition.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now that's a typical "head in the sand" approach that ignores the reality of the situation. By your snarky response, I can see that you are totally onboard with paying a doorknob QB $18M to stand around on the sideline with look of a lost baby deer for the TV cameras. Meanwhile the guy they are paying $300K who was already on the roster when they decided to throw the aforesaid $18M at the lost QB is now their only hope at salvaging the season. I find this turn of events to be most disconcerting to say the least and it does not fill me with confidence in the decision making of this organization and coaching staff. I just ain't buying what BoB and Co are selling anymore. The article I posted raises serious questions that I feel deserve to asked about this situation.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I won't speak for others but I feel (and maybe others like me) that Brock Lobster was a swing and a miss but we've still got two strikes to work with. The contract isn't that bad and we got an easy out after next year.

Do you know who Mo Lewis is? That's the guy that knocked out Bledsoe and the rest is history. Point is, with Franchise QBs it's better to be lucky than good. Or you have to tank the right year (also luck) like 2004 for example. In fact if you look at the greatest QB draft classes of all time, 2004 is the only one that would be ranked since the Texans have existed! But no way we would draft a QB since we had just drafted our franchise guy 2 drafts prior. Honestly that's major bad luck. On the one hand if the Texans inaugural year was 2004 instead of 2002 oh what might have been.

Two Sandwiches and RocketTOOL like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wilson and Flynn; not saying Savage is Russell Wilson but a little similar situation although Brock was signed after drafting Savage and Wilson was drafted a month after signing Flynn

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's been coaching offense with a defensive mindset. And I think he had to with Osweiler. Os was so inaccurate and prone to throw balls directly at defenders that OB had to try to minimize the risk and that resulted in leaning heavily on the run and going really conservative in the pass game. I think that's what he had to do to win. Knowing what we know now about Osweiler, I don't think any of us would be comfortable with him going out there and trying to be a gunslinger.

That said, we have definitely been TOO conservative at times and last Sunday was a good example. Yeah, he got more aggressive when we fell behind, but we fell behind because he was coaching like a p***y. You can't coach as if you're trying to win the game 3-0. Savage ended up passing for 145 yards in the 2nd half when we had to play catch up. But he only attempted 7 passes in the first half when the game was tied at zero. Running on every 2nd and long. Running on every first and second down again and again when it's not working is pathetic. It really seemed like OB was content to go 3 and out as long as the defense wasn't giving up points.

That's a weak way to coach and it can get you into major trouble. You have to bank on two things. 1) That the defense isn't going to crater at some point and that 2) your offense can turn it on if it needs to. Of course, if you really believe #2 then being super conservative in the first place doesn't make a lot of sense.

He doesn't need to be super aggressive, but he also can't pull out that "run, run, incomplete pass, punt" formula every single drive. Since the outcome of this Sunday's game is meaningless, I really hopes he calls a more aggressive game that hopefully allows him to develop the trust in Savage that he didn't have in Osweiler.

SLRokJok, Plowman and mick fry like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Bill apparently is a big fan of CF.
    “We’re not even talking about [resting starters]," O'Brien said. "We’re playing to win. We’ve got a chance to win 10 games. I think every game counts. I don’t really care what -- you know, I think any time you line up in this league, I think it’s really just out of respect for the National Football League and football in general. You play to win.”
    Then play to win Bill!

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The most amazing thing about this statement is not about its stupidity.

But the fact that Bob McNair is actually thinking the exact same way as to find excuses for Rick Smith to keep his job.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As stupid as you think it is, it's the reality. It's the truth.

The Osweiler contract was not that bad, and it was the right thing to do for the franchise. It was the chance they had to take after the debacle of IRing Savage. That was the real mistake we made.

The Osweiler contract was just fine. The two year out is a huge deal.

Think about what we'd be saying if he was in Denver, about to compete for another Super Bowl ...

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

People say they put all their eggs in the Brock Os' nest. But what they've really done is put together a team that is still good enough to win the division even if the Brock doesn't take off. You can't look at one deal and use it to judge the front office. Look at this team, with the #1 defense in the league, put together. The QB is the most difficult to get right; it makes sense to at least get the other positions right as you take chances with the QB.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

History says . .. the only way he can EVER get fired . .. is if he has a 2-14 season

/thread

/LOL

Rocket River

15. Mr. Clutch

The way I look at it is we wasted a #1 defense.

We have the #1 defense but the offense is so bad we barely got in the playoffs and aren't considered serious contenders.

Going after Brock was terrible. I didn't like it at the time and it's more embarrassing looking back at how much we paid for him considering his body of work and talent level

#976 Mr. Clutch, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He is never going to have that. I guarantee it. The worst he could get is an 8-8 season, but that's about it. He is in the AFC south, worst division ever, and given to the good talent the Texans have right now, he is going to be having a 9-7 and 8-8 seasons for a long time. He might get 10 wins on Sunday.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am still amazed that Kubiak managed it

Rocket River

18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Get this loser out of Houston!!!

19. Mr. Clutch

Never should have hired him.

Disastrous.

Fire Rick too.